Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Painting Fog Lights Black?

Please post pictures of this... as I am hoping to do this soon and want to know how to go about it, is it the same process as the headlights (heating up and removing)?

thanks in advance

auzzam

Yeah I have. Did both the headlights and foglights.

As mentioned all over the forums, use the oven or a heat gun (carefully) to soften the glue and separate the housing. I used my wife's hairdryer to do the job. Took absolutely ages, but felt more confident as I was afraid the other too methods would melt the housing.

Once separated sand down the chrome like I have.

Recent-Lexus-Mods-008.jpg

Primer it.

Recent-Lexus-Mods-009.jpg

Paint it and you'll have this.

Recent-Lexus-Mods-011.jpg

Then put it all back (headlights as example).

Recent-Lexus-Mods-038.jpg

Good luck :)

Not as far as I know. With the headlights, the reflective surface behind the bulb is still there so I shouldn't imagine light output to diminish. With the foglights, they're projector type so perhaps not. Although, they're recessed inside the surround, so may lose some of the outer reflective shine you had originally.

thanks for the pic looks definitley worth doing especially since mine is a black is as well, how easy was it to remove the foglights? did you have to remove the bumper at all?

Not difficult at all. As far as I can recall, only a couple of bolts which can be reached via the intake recesses next to each light. Headlights came out without removing bumper. Good luck :)

Not difficult at all. As far as I can recall, only a couple of bolts which can be reached via the intake recesses next to each light. Headlights came out without removing bumper. Good luck :)

thanks Arcane, just one more question have you had any issues with the sealing of the foglights.. as in water getting in after you have put them back together?

thanks Arcane, just one more question have you had any issues with the sealing of the foglights.. as in water getting in after you have put them back together?

Foglights, not at all. They're small so did both of them perfectly. I did have trouble with nearside headlight and had to remove, reheat the sealing edge and push together tighter than I had previously.

As you're taking them apart, with the plastic being soft it can be bent out of shape. When putting it back together make sure you bend the edges back to how they were and just take your time with it.

Hi Jay,

I was wondering if you removed the projector domes on your fog lights? if so how did you do this and what did you replace them with ( I read you used old lens for something)

to give you some idea, I have LED foglights, however they are not very bright at the moment because when you put them behind the projector style dome, the light isnt as bright. I am hoping to remove the dome so that the LED's are visible in the day time, and thus allow me to use them as DRL's.

I hope you did remove the projector lights as your foglight in the last picture does look rather bright :)

thanks

auzzam.

p.s

have you by any chance got photos of the completed fog light turned of, and on the car.. so I could see how it looks without the projector dome

Looks very nice, where did you get these smaller angel eyes from? And do you have a picture of them on your car? Because I too have angel eyes in my main headlights and want to see how well angel fogs go with them.

Thanks for the continuous posts jay.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if we can get any of the sealant that is on our lights? I need to seal mine again having already opened them a few times I want to top up the glue as they keep leaking? Or maybe ill just go with a thin bead of silicone and re-bake?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links