Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi.

1998 LS 400 new Battery supplied November 2010 and fitted by Lexus Reading, as flat as a pancake this morning.

RAC got her going checked she was charging OK and then I went to Lexus Reading. Not to helpful.

More or less called me a liar as they said it couldnt have been done by them as it wasnt on their computer. After several phone calls home me wife found the document and gave them the number on it.

They found it finally but said they never fitted it as it was a Parts sale only.

I told them that if they cared to check on here several people had been quoted £65 for supplying and fitting a new Battery by various Lexus dealers on various locations and thats what Lexus did on mine here in Reading.

Wouldnt do anything today so its booked in for Thursday 10am thats if it starts.

I received such fantastic service the last time I went but the chap that served me then wasnt there today.

Any ideas why the Battery was flat.

Last time she was driven was Fri afternoon. Nothing left on.

Mike

It's easy for them to check it. They just stick a Load checker on it to see if it can handle it-so to speak.

I get mine from Bristol Batteries, who have their own make - and a 2 year guarantee.

I never Plip mine, as the Alarm system can drain over time. (My address is........)

But it could be.....Boot light/Internal light etc. it's easy to leave something on accidentally (he said ruefully!)

It's easy for them to check it. They just stick a Load checker on it to see if it can handle it-so to speak.

I get mine from Bristol Batteries, who have their own make - and a 2 year guarantee.

I never Plip mine, as the Alarm system can drain over time. (My address is........)

But it could be.....Boot light/Internal light etc. it's easy to leave something on accidentally (he said ruefully!)

No guys nothing was left on, RAC checked the charging underload and everything was OK there.

I only drove 10 miles today and stopped several times and started without any problem and I know that wont put a full charge in but we will see if its flat in the morning.

I have just been out to the car to see if everything off.

Mike

If the battery came from the dealer it should have a 3 year warranty.

TG

Started with no problems, not even the slightest sign that the Battery could be down on a full charge.

We will have to see over a period of time.

Thanks for your responses.

Mike

Passengers not shutting their doors properly is the only flat battery incidents I've had in the LS. door ajar in a mk4 means 3 bulbs plus dash / computer on.

No all doors were shut, but thanks for the idea.

Mike

Passengers not shutting their doors properly is the only flat battery incidents I've had in the LS. door ajar in a mk4 means 3 bulbs plus dash / computer on.

No all doors were shut, but thanks for the idea.

Mike

Just to keep you up to date.

Started without any probs.

Really weird.

Mike

Hi mate...

i bet it only had a years warranty too.. typical of todays world.... but it could be a few things..

duff Battery or bad contact.... when it starts ok, go & get the Battery tested again.. they should tell you if the voltage is abnormal or not.. and if the charging is still ok

i see its charging ok - then its not the power steering reservoir leaking onto your alternator & shorting it out (common fault with the MK1 & 2 LS!)

or it could be a well worn wiring loom causing something to stay on (like the old phone in the centre), or the boot light. & make sure the boot light switch is working correctly... you'll have to open your boot & then put your keys in to ign.. go to boot & find the switch & press it to see if the light goes out.. or take the bulb out for a week & see if the Battery still runs flat..

The wiring loom well known for it is the boot loom, it runs thro one the hinges...but it has been known to happen in the front doors too... you'll have to gently expose the wires to see...

Good Luck... If not, you could always buy my LS :)

." If not, you could always buy my LS "

Nah! He wants mine!

Electrical stuff always a forgotten source of annoyance in older cars. Wires CAN fray in constant use!

Seriously ....I may be selling soon. Going for an old classic as a 'hobby' car.

." If not, you could always buy my LS "

Nah! He wants mine!

Electrical stuff always a forgotten source of annoyance in older cars. Wires CAN fray in constant use!

Seriously ....I may be selling soon. Going for an old classic as a 'hobby' car.

Now now people. I wont be getting rid of my beautiful Lexie in the foreseeable future.

If there had of been a problem with the Battery it would have shown itself again by now.

So I am happy to leave it and to see if it should happen again.

My local is going to disconect the Battery tomorrow and reinstall it just in case there was a terminal problem and check the Battery to see if any of the cells are down,

He has already checked the charging rate and there is no problem there.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

1998 LS 400 new battery supplied November 2010 and fitted by Lexus Reading, as flat as a pancake this morning.

RAC got her going checked she was charging OK and then I went to Lexus Reading. Not to helpful.

More or less called me a liar as they said it couldnt have been done by them as it wasnt on their computer. After several phone calls home me wife found the document and gave them the number on it.

They found it finally but said they never fitted it as it was a Parts sale only.

I told them that if they cared to check on here several people had been quoted £65 for supplying and fitting a new battery by various Lexus dealers on various locations and thats what Lexus did on mine here in Reading.

Wouldnt do anything today so its booked in for Thursday 10am thats if it starts.

I received such fantastic service the last time I went but the chap that served me then wasnt there today.

Any ideas why the battery was flat.

Last time she was driven was Fri afternoon. Nothing left on.

Mike

lot of my mates have had Battery replaced. lexus have admitted to me the Battery is a weak point. go up the the road to Costco and get a bosch silverline calcium Battery with more ampage and 4 yr warranty

Hi!

When the Battery died on my LS400 the cheapest one (about £65) I could find was from Lexus (Woodford) and I asked them to fit given the potential problems when putting in a new Battery. So it was fitted by Lexus and I should have but did not expect that they would charge me (about £30) but they did. It was still cheapest I could find immediately. It cae with a 2 year warranty. About 1 year later it began playing up and Lexus (Woodford) replaced it with a new one - no charge, no fuss (the usual excellent service, including car wash) but I did need to produce the receipt. I do think that producing the receipt is standard (had the same with my other car). Since then I discovered and can recommend (am using in my other car) the Bosch S6 series - 6 year warranty, Bosch's latest/best technology in a sealed-for-life unit and it cost me £82 all inclusive and delivered from a place up North. Have had this S6 Battery since the beginning of the year and it's the best ever and it does have to work to start a 5.4l engine!

Hi!

When the battery died on my LS400 the cheapest one (about £65) I could find was from Lexus (Woodford) and I asked them to fit given the potential problems when putting in a new battery. So it was fitted by Lexus and I should have but did not expect that they would charge me (about £30) but they did. It was still cheapest I could find immediately. It cae with a 2 year warranty. About 1 year later it began playing up and Lexus (Woodford) replaced it with a new one - no charge, no fuss (the usual excellent service, including car wash) but I did need to produce the receipt. I do think that producing the receipt is standard (had the same with my other car). Since then I discovered and can recommend (am using in my other car) the Bosch S6 series - 6 year warranty, Bosch's latest/best technology in a sealed-for-life unit and it cost me £82 all inclusive and delivered from a place up North. Have had this S6 battery since the beginning of the year and it's the best ever and it does have to work to start a 5.4l engine!

Hi Gen,

Thanks for the info. So far things are OK we have had some frosty nights already this year so would expect a dodgy Battery to have started sahowing signs of not holding a charge.

Just keep me fingers crossed.

Will definately look at the Bosch avenue but there is still 2 years warranty to go on the Lexus Battery.

Regards Mike

• 1 month later...

Having seen a couple of dead Battery posts recently I thought I would update you with the news on this one. Well there isnt any news and as they say "no news is good news"

We have had temp's down to -8C over the past week and the Battery is fine so I am completely mystified as to what it was that made the Battery that day, as dead as dead can be.

May be one of those mystifying things that will never be answered.

Mike :huh: :huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links