Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 + Styling Kit = Illegal?

A week or two ago there was a discussion about HID headlamps and if washers are required for the SVA test.

I have just been looking on the Philips web site and have come across the following:

“To comply with European legal requirements Xenon light can only be fitted to your car in combination with an “automatic leveling device” and a headlamp windshield clearning system”

As the IS200/300 styling kit removes the headlamp washers does this make your IS300 illegal?

hmmmmmmmm......

"Note “Please note that Xenon light can only be fitted by a professional car dealer. To comply with European legal requirements Xenon light can only be fitted to your car in combination with an “automatic leveling device” and a headlamp whindshield clearning system”. To find out more, please consult our FAQ section.”"

This is the Phillips International website and they spell like that???

I haven't heard of this regulation to be honest - but I will check tonight.

"Note “Please note that Xenon light can only be fitted by a professional car dealer. To comply with European legal requirements Xenon light can only be fitted to your car in combination with an “automatic leveling device” and a headlamp whindshield clearning system”. To find out more, please consult our FAQ section.”"

Spot on. Any car fitted HID head lamps must have headlight washer system.

This is required by law. :whistling:

Should be confirmed by the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Directive............ :whistling:

Spot on. Any car fitted HID head lamps must have headlight washer system.

This is required by law. :whistling:

Should be confirmed by the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Directive............ :whistling:

Indeed, you are quite correct. I have looked up the facts:

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.

Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering.

Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No 45. (9)

Taken from Commission Directive 97/28/EC of 11 June 1997 adapting to technical progress Council Directive 76/756/EEC relating to the installation of lighting and light- signalling devices on motor vehicles and their trailers HERE

So, how do Lexus get away withn this.........?

So, how do Lexus get away withn this.........?

Are they,

Looking at all of the IS300 approved used cars. The photo's are not that great, none of them look like they have a head light washers fitted, could be wrong. As they may have some other method of cleaning the headlights.

I will double check when I get to work tomorrow.

When buying the car back in March, I asked about having the styling kit fitted. In the end, I opted for the Sat Nav (boring, I know ;) ). However, the dealer didn't mention any legal requirement for washers with HIDs, and actually pointed out that one disadvantage was that you'd lose the headlamp washer system. So it looks as though Lexus dealers might not be aware of this regulation :unsure:

I know of at least one LOC member with an IS300 with the styling kit and no washers fitted, hence my reply to the original thread. However, didn't think it fair to name him/her.

Lexus UK even give a price on the web site for the IS300 + styling kit so it seems it's not just the dealers who might not be aware of this regulation.

I have contacted Lexus via their web site to get an answer but I don't expect an reply if the question goes to their customer service centre.

I've received an email from Lexus who have confirmed that the washers are removed when the styling kit is fitted. They are currently checking with their legal department about the legal requirement and should get back to me shortly.

I've received an email from Lexus who have confirmed that the washers are removed when the styling kit is fitted. They are currently checking with their legal department about the legal requirement and should get back to me shortly.

:lol::lol::lol:

Good old Lexus Legal Department....... I'm sure they have it covered........ :whistling:

Good old Lexus Legal Department....... I'm sure they have it covered........ :whistling:

Well they do indeed have it covered Zee, but that's the problem.

They need to Uncover it!!

:lol: :lol:

Not sure how Lexus UK are going to get away with this, as the Jap's are usally pretty hot on all the vehicle reg's

Could this be a possible re-call for all IS300's fitted with HID's and Styling kit front bumper.

or do Lexus have a little man that comes out of the headlights at the touch of a button to clean the headlights :D :D :D :D

Maybe get round it like this ...

If regulations apply for type approval, IS300 as factory supplied will pass.

Styling kit is NOT factory fitted - it's added by Toyota GB in the UK. So...

could be considered an aftermarket accessory ... Is it then still subject to red tape ?

If i remember correctly, the TTE (or 'styling kit') front bumper is available

with or without provision for headlamp washers.

The 'without' option was introduced because the edges of the holes

for the washers were being damaged by washer fluid or something.

:iraqi-info-minister:

Maybe get round it like this ...

If regulations apply for type approval, IS300 as factory supplied will pass.

Styling kit is NOT factory fitted - it's added by Toyota GB in the UK.  So...

could be considered an aftermarket accessory ... Is it then still subject to red tape ?

If i remember correctly, the TTE (or 'styling kit') front bumper is available

with or without provision for headlamp washers.

The 'without' option was introduced because the edges of the holes

for the washers were being damaged by washer fluid or something.

:iraqi-info-minister:

They can only use the 'After Market' Get out jail free card, if Lexus first sell the Car, i.e to Lexus GB (this would mean the car would have one registered owner) then the changes could be made, not sure what would happen at the first MOT though. This is not good practise that said. Lexus wouldn't be the first to do it.

I think this one will run and run.

Just received this from Lexus

I have spoken to technical today. They have informed me that the IS Series styling kit fitting instructions have recently be modified to include instructions on retaining the headlight washers on IS300 vehicles. Therefore if a styling kit is fitted to an IS300 there should be no problems legally.

If I can be of any further help or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Tim Cayless

Lexus (GB) Customer Account Manager

I would recommend that anybody who has an IS300 + styling kit contact their dealer to arrange the fitting of some new washers.

So, they'll be thanking those dilligent chaps over at LOC for pointing this out, and rewarding them appropriately. So Colin, your courtesy SC430 for the month will be presented to you at JAE by the MD of Lexus GB :winky: :lol:

If you cannot have lights that swivel according to steering lock (do they mean left and right or up and down??)

This is what the new RX300 has isn't it - so is that out too?

I have spoken to technical today. They have informed me that the IS Series styling kit fitting instructions have recently be modified to include instructions on retaining the headlight washers on IS300 vehicles. Therefore if a styling kit is fitted to an IS300 there should be no problems legally.

By 'recently', do you think they mean..... earlier today :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links