Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Price Of Petrol

yea £85 sound about right.

I regularly get 31mpg on mine, which amounts to 400+ miles to a tank. But my commute rarely involves stop-start traffic; mostly slowing down for roundabouts. So it really depends on your driving style and traffic situation.

But in my opinion, what the IS200 lacks for in fuel economy, it makes up for me in refinement and fewer visits to the mechanic. So fill up and keep smiling :)

I predict it will be 1.50 a litre by summer, notice how the garages keep creeping up the price by a penny every week or so... one garage here is 1.35 and other in Worcester is 1.41... they make up their own prices...will soon be £100 to fill up an IS200

13.50 gallons (60 litres) = before reserve light.

cost to fill tank = £85.20 (60 litres)

worst - 260 miles = 20 mpg.

best - 520 miles = 40 mpg.

average is 300 miles = 24 mpg.

really depends how its driven!

• 2 weeks later...

I can report back, my £85 got me around 375miles that's filling from the reserve light and running it down to the reserve light again. I reckon if I took my chances, I could get 400 miles - although this was mainly motorway miles.

Just filled up at 147.8 per litre for super unleaded. That's over £100 for a full tank. Stopped at 50.... Generally average 320 per tank mixed driving

Why do you use super? The Lexus is mapped for running on 95 and using anything above that is of no benefit whatsoever except helping you to spend your money that little bit quicker.

I filled mine up to £86 and got 320 miles is that good?

It all depends on how you drive and what sort of driving you do but if you are doing mostly motorway miles I would be expecting 420 plus. I would get about 320 if it was urban traffic.

Can anyone explain this driving style vs mpg lark?

I would really like to understand how to conserve fuel when driving a lexus is 200 when I buy one.

I'm a first time driver so haven't bought my car yet.

Thanks,

Basically don't drive like Larry Leadfoot. Revving the engine into the higher RPM range to accelerate as quickly as possible is going to do damage to your wallet. Accelerate smoothly and change to the next available gear as early as you can get away with (without making the engine lug). I try and change before 3000.

Make sure you're tyres are fully inflated. 35psi seems to be what most people recommend. Don't use the air conditioning unless absolutely necessary and keep with windows up if you can. This eliminates drag.

Don't carry unnecessary loads in the car. Empty the boot of stuff if you don't think you're gonna need it.

Above all, plan your journey if you can. Knowing what roads are going to be clear will be a great help as stop/start driving isn't good for fuel economy and keep a reasonable distance from the car in front so you can minimise the use of the brakes. Braking is essentially a big waste of fuel.

Okay so the pointers above are going to the extreme but if you only follow some of them the little differences will add up.

Never known a car with such variance on MPG. Mine goes from 23mpg in winter in city driving to 37mpg on a easy long motorway run with my daughter driving. IS200's really shine in such an environment - so smooth and quiet.

Can anyone explain this driving style vs mpg lark?

I would really like to understand how to conserve fuel when driving a lexus is 200 when I buy one.

I'm a first time driver so haven't bought my car yet.

Thanks,

Edited by Steve2006, only Gold members are permitted to sell on the forums.

Basically the IS200 is not an economical car compared with similar 4-cylinder cars. It inherently can't be.

6 cylinder engines have more bearings contributing friction & when one cylinder fires has to lug around the friction of five others. This is slightly made up for by a smaller dead-zone between each firing etc.

Overall, 6's require different driving habits to get the best out of them and if you have been used to driving a zippy, high-revving 4cylinder car; it is going to take you some time to get used to the different characteristics to achieve reasonable economy.

But over and above everything, nothing in its class can compete with the silky smoothness & reliability of the IS200's straight 6 even if it does drink a bit more fuel.

Basically the IS200 is not an economical car compared with similar 4-cylinder cars. It inherently can't be.

6 cylinder engines have more bearings contributing friction & when one cylinder fires has to lug around the friction of five others. This is slightly made up for by a smaller dead-zone between each firing etc.

That's interesting. Does this mean that the 4-pot Altezza is more economical than the IS200? Both have the same chassis and engine sizes, which got me wondering

That's interesting. Does this mean that the 4-pot Altezza is more economical than the IS200? Both have the same chassis and engine sizes, which got me wondering

Not necessarily. If the designers have chosen to concentrate on economy it could be better; if on performance it could be worse. But all things being equal, a 4 will be more economical than a 6, sometimes only by a small margin.

In my country (Lithuania) , minimal month salary is ~800LT (350$) , and the petrol price is 5LT/1Litres , its realy amazing statistics ;///

In Venezuela it is the cheapest in the world at an oficial price of 8p/ltr but if you know where to go it can be as little as 3p/ltr!!!!! Fill my LS400 to the brim for £2.70p

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links