Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet another LS400 with apparent low mileage at a ridiculous asking price and with dinks everywhere, mines going up to 10K now!

Only one not so careful owner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-LEXUS-LS400-GREY-ONLY-13-400-miles-Superb-Condition-/190670113566?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c64d30b1e#ht_500wt_1204

Must we continually have these threads?

You find an example of every marque and model where someone has over-estimated the value. Quite simply, the car with either sell, or it won't. If it sells, the Seller is quids in, and the Buyer hasn't done their research. If it doesn't, the Seller will realise their price is too high and lower their expectations.

Would you honestly be upset if you took home that LS400 for £4k, other examples notwithstanding? Wouldn't you still feel it offered a lot even for that price?

These threads just smack of "OMG, look at this idiot", and I thought we'd be above this kind of thing.

Yet another LS400 with apparent low mileage at a ridiculous asking price and with dinks everywhere, mines going up to 10K now!

Only one not so careful owner.

http://www.ebay.co.u...e#ht_500wt_1204

Yes Steve I agree the world as gone mad .The inheritor as got carried away with the low mileage and thinks that makes the car worth a fortune.To be frank it raises all kinds of demons ,the wheels are badly corroded which suggests the car as been subject to damp and unventilated conditions there are a million parts on the Lexus ls400 that will suffer corrosion under these conditions including the inside of the engine and all of its ancillaries,the cosmetic damage is repairable but not cheap if done properly and it looks like the drivers door damage is the result of a break in.I would not entertain this car even at a quarter of the asking price as it as not been used and therefore not been loved .

Good point, ambermarine. Someone who uses a car so little probably just takes it to the shops once a week (collecting some parking scrapes), so it's never warmed up and running properly. And a car that's done ten or twenty times the mileage doesn't get damage to the door like that one's got.

Re Dan's (Lowrider's) point: he's right - there will always be people who try to sell a car for much more than it's worth. But values of old Lexuses are of interest to many of us. Well, they are to me, and I've noticed that they go up and down all the time. And the price of elderly 430s seems to have dropped into 400 territory all of a sudden - though I'd be worried about buying a cheap one (in a way that I wouldn't be worried about buying a cheap 400, actually).

Superb condition?

I think not, it looks more like a 250,000 mile minicab on the outside.

Personally I like threads like this one, so please don't be put off posting them.

Some good points made about the low mileage possibly causing more problems than expected, so I think this thread may be of use to someone.

I also like these kind of threads but then, I am nosey :-)

I think too that the mileage looks doubtful with the door trim and paint chips and scuffs .......... and even if it is a genuine car, a new MOT and an excellent 300 mile blow-out would show if it is showing undue age stress ........... and then it's only a £1000 car at the very most .... surely !!!!

Malc

The seats do look consistent with the stated mileage I must admit but the scrapes leave a lot to be desired.

It also seems strange that there are old MOTs to "prove" the mileage but no mention of service history.

By now this car should have had 3 cambelt changes on age alone so it may still be on the original after 21 years, same with the tyres are they the originals.

My mechanic only glanced at the ad and didn't notice the door damage, but his first thought was '£1000 max'. Although it would be difficult to tell without driving them both, he thought the 345,000-mile but well-maintained 430 on eBay would be a better bet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links