Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know a thread about this subject is often started, but there's a 2001 LS430 (117,000 miles) for sale on Autotrader which appears to be in very nice condition but which has had to have the following work done:

'New gearbox (sensor failed), new rear windows replaced due to delamination (common problem), doors resprayed due to paint blistering (common problem)...'

That isn't exactly encouraging, is it? I know the LS400 also has common problems (e.g. flaky wheels and dodgy starter motor) but at three years older and 30,000 miles more, mine feels like it will run for ever without needing a new gearbox, windows or respray.

I sometimes wonder whether trading up to a 430 would be too big a gamble. Have members regretted doing so (beautiful car though the 430 is)?

Personally I would skip the 430. Besides the problems you already mentioned, there's also the suspension issues. The Ls460 would be a much better choice :)

I'd also give it a miss, mine is 18 years old and there have been no transmission, window glass or paint issues. Makes you wonder how this one been treated throughout its life and why it is now up for sale!

I cant see the problem

the car has FSH

it was bought as an approved used car

All the faults mentioned are common LS430 faults - they have been all fixed

Big cambelt service has been done

If i was looking for an LS430 - that would be on my list to check out

it just appears the guys is being penalised for being upfront and honest

The problem for me is not with the advert or the person who's selling the car. It's probably a good buy. What I meant was that the 'common faults' (if that's what they are) seem pretty serious for a quality car, especially when the 400 doesn't suffer from them. There's a lot of talk about the build quality of Lexuses being lowered since the 430 was introduced, which might put a lot of 400 owners off. I just wondered what other members' experience is.

oh right ok - yes i agree - the general consensus is that the Mark 4 is the best of the lot - the pre 2003 ls430 are very good value for money these days but my eyes are on the post 2003 ones - they look much better

Hello,

As i have owned 3 LS400 and a 2001 430, my opinion is that fine cars that they all were, the 430 was the best. Not the best looking at the front but then you don't see that when you're in it.

Firstly how common is common? I know i never had a problem with a transmission sensor , delamination of the double glazed windows or paintwork bubbles anywhere on the vehicle.

Neither did I have any problems with the height sensors.

I know that some have had the height sensor problem and that it's expensive to put right-is any thing cheap on a Lexus?

I also know from this site that breaking springs are common on previous models as are dashboard problems on the mk 2 and 3. In other words they all have potential problem areas.

I would certainly go for a 430 with the normal warnings to check everything works and that it has been properly maintained. There are plenty about with full history so don't go for one that hasn't. it's a buyers market for big V8 cars so you can afford to be picky.

Regretably I sold my 430 as I needed something higher to get in and out of, I now have a RX300 and good as it is there is usually some point in every journey that I wish I still had my LS.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I'm only window shopping, and looking ahead to the (distant) future. There doesn't seem much point buying a newer 400 because the youngest one would be only two years younger than mine - still an old car. And better the devil you know etc. What else is there? Only a 430. Hopefully by that time they'll be as good value as 400s are now. Probably lots of us are in this situation.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links