Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Auto Express Review Of Lexus GS250

"Lexus expects this model to make up two-thirds of GS sales in the UK"

That didn't work out too well for them last time. Still this time around they have made the 450h so expensive that most people will be forced to go with the 250 or just look at a Jag XF or BMW 5 series.

Not sure why they didn't use the 2.5 engine and release the 300h

I really dont understand Lexus UK sometimes common sense should have told them to offer a smaller hybrid aswell to challenge the smaller engined diesels from Germany like the 2.4 litre 187bhp they have in the Lexus HS250 in US/Japan which can be named GS250h or as Colin said strap a hybrid motor to the existing V6 250 and call it 300h this would have given buyers more options and whilst keeping the GS250 for people who prefer petrol they should have also offered the GS350 with 306 bhp for those who dont want a hybrid GS450h but also dont want the GS250 204bhp' tho powerful will lack torque due to GS weight' .

I would have jumped on an IS350 if it was sold in UK still dont know why Lexus UK did not ask for it instead of the problematic IS220d that majority owners dont really want 'no offence 220d drivers'.

They are bringing out a lower power hybrid next year, source: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/06/19/second-lexus-gs-hybrid-to-use-v6-engine/

"GB: That suggests there will be another engine to come for the GS.

YK: Yes, we have a lower displacement hybrid. It will come to European markets in the second half of 2013."

Can't believe they haven't got a better 2.5L engine though, that thing has been around for ages and the emissions and MPG are very poor.

Totally agree with the IS350 and preferably with the AWD as an option as well, in fact the ES hybrid would be a great car over here. The cars they bring over (except the CT) seem to be the expensive one's - if you want to get market share then would think the lower priced ones would help.

Another example of this is with the RX, the previous gen had a much lower entry price and was hugely popular. When the cost premium is £10k you have to do a massive number of miles to recoup (or be a business user) Australia get a 270, even smaller than the 350 model. http://www.caradvice.com.au/179021/lexus-rx270-review/

I really dont understand Lexus UK sometimes common sense should have told them to offer a smaller hybrid aswell to challenge the smaller engined diesels from Germany like the 2.4 litre 187bhp they have in the Lexus HS250 in US/Japan which can be named GS250h or as Colin said strap a hybrid motor to the existing V6 250 and call it 300h this would have given buyers more options and whilst keeping the GS250 for people who prefer petrol they should have also offered the GS350 with 306 bhp for those who dont want a hybrid GS450h but also dont want the GS250 204bhp' tho powerful will lack torque due to GS weight' .

I would have jumped on an IS350 if it was sold in UK still dont know why Lexus UK did not ask for it instead of the problematic IS220d that majority owners dont really want 'no offence 220d drivers'.

3.5L V-6 engine wouldn't meet with Euro V or VI emission levels, so little point in trying to fit a square peg into the round hole.

And it's Lexus Europe who decides what we (the EU) receive.

3.5L V-6 engine wouldn't meet with Euro V or VI emission levels, so little point in trying to fit a square peg into the round hole.

And it's Lexus Europe who decides what we (the EU) receive.

Could you explain what that same engine is doing in the Lotus Evora which is sold in UK?? all Lexus had to do was detune it a bit yes we might loose couple of ponies to those in US/Japan but its still an IS350/GS350 all the same...

Sure, Lotus don't have the same restrictions on meeting those regs due to their low volume manufacturer status.

Aston Martin had to bring out the Cygnus so that their overall emissions level met or fell below the threshold.

I imagine part of not having type approved the 350 was because the 430 was there to fill the power void of the 300, and you didn't have to compromise on boot space like with the hybrid.

From memory, there was no real easy-fit price gap the 350 could've slotted into, so it more than likely would've cannibalised sales from either the 430 or the 450h, if not the 300, rather than drawing new buyers into the brand.

Even if the 350 was brought in as the 4WD-only model in the line-up, the buyers that that's likely to appeal to, just aren't there - that's left to the likes of Audi or the Subaru/Mitsubishi. Our weather (on the whole) doesn't justify the 4WD, not least with poorer fuel economy.

Different matter in the US, because of partly the weather is worse for much longer in certain regions, fuel is cheaper, and there's more than 10x as many Lexus sold there, as here in the UK, which is their 2nd or 3rd biggest market, iirc.

So, if now with the new model and injected vigour in the marketing dept to push the brand more, Lexus start selling a greater volume of cars, then there's possibly a chance you'll see more of the Japanese domestic range making it into Europe.

Thats all well and good for buyers who prefer GS's that the GS430 will fill in that being roughly 280 bhp. but ISF is just too powerful for 80% of IS buyers in Europe so would have been nice to have a detuned IS350 here to take some share off BMW335i, Audi 3.0TFSI, C Class 350CGI.

You're focussing too much on just the engine - there's a whole raft of reasons more that goes into deciding which car to buy.

Handling, options, looks, and so on.

Maybe if Lexus used TRD in an official capacity manner like AMG for Mercedes, or the M division of BMW (or even Tom's as an Alpina-esque offering), then there might be more of a buzz about the brand to draw in people who would normally gravitate towards those marques.

Who knows how things will pan out over the forthcoming years, now Lexus are going to be a bit more pro-active on the marketing/advertising front, rather than leave it to word-of-mouth as has been pretty much the case for the last decade or so.

Hopefully it'll pay dividends with increased sales and interest.

BMW as an example focuses primarily on engines before handling why? becuase they want to cater for all individuals a 3 series alone has a 318, 320i, 325i, 330i, 335i and the M3. they could have just offered 320i, 330i and the M3 but its all phycological to the buyer because on the road, a 325 and a 330 will be similar in performance same will apply to a 318 and a 320 but what did they do? they kept on increasing the cubic capacity slightly to make 320 driver feel like they have a more powerful car than a 318 driver wihich maybe in performance terms a 320 will win by about a cars length. same applies to 325 and 330 not much of a difference on road performance but makes drivers of 330 feel superior over 325. thats why beemer still has lion share in this market segment.

I still wont buy a BMW tho...

But Lexus is now learning the trick and offering more sporty agressive designs in thier 2012/2013 releases tho still limited engine choice to buyers in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links