Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Need Some Help Deciding On An Is

Hi all,

Newbie user here although have been reading the forum for quite a while.

I'm in need of some advice from IS200 drivers on choosing a new daily driver. I've just got rid of a V8 range rover to make way for something more sensible and being as my "weekend warrior" is a Mk1 Aristo it seems an IS200 is a reasonable choice.

My limited (by the Mrs) budget £1200 - £1400 will stretch to a low milage 1 owner tidy 2001ish "S" or a not so clean older SE or sport.

I've read the difference in spec but thats all just words, which way would you go in my position as actual drivers of the cars ?

Tidy "pauper spec" or an SE or sport in need of some sorting. Or as an odball thought how about an Altezza?

Thanks for reading this far and any advice offered.

not a huge difference between Base S, SE or Sport in terms of driving. The base model is softer as it has smaller wheels with higher profile tyres. More toys in the SE. Sport has slightly lowered suspension so handles the best but again there really isn't that much difference between them all. Sport also has a limited slip rear diff but there isn't really enough power to make that a necessity.

Altezza in RS form it is quite firm and has more power but isn't as refined and needs to be revved hard to get at that extra power. Can be a bit difficult to diagnose and fix faults due to limited information and parts availability. Due to the age I'm not sure I'd advise going down this route unless you really want the extra power. No point getting the 6 cylinder Altezza, no different from the UK IS200.

There aren't many low milers round in that sort of budget. I recently paid £1500 for my SE with 125k on the clock, and pretty much every one I saw had that sort of mileage. They're typical reps cars so the mileage is to be expected.

Have to say though, it doesn't drive like its got that mileage on it at all. Neither did my GS.

My most recent purchase is an is200 s the basic version..LOL., and to be truthful now ive swapped seats for half leather version its as good as the se i had before. Also being the less desirable model you can get a better deal. I bought mine with fsh, private plate (2001 year) the 17" wheels,90k for £1100 as seller had no interest.

Many thanks for the quick response, It was what I hoped to hear.

I'm just going to find the best car for the money and not get hung up on spec.

I think an Altezza is out as I much prefer a smooth 6 pot to a revvy frantic 4 pot.

Oh well the search continues...................

Thanks again all.

hey an audi or bmw diesel is you want somethin sensible and have a nice weekend car

I hear what you're saying and agree to a point but the Audi's FWD so definately out and the BMW diesel is a pig of an engine to work on and common so is out too.

You just get more for your money with an IS I think and after 17mpg from the rangie the IS will be relatively cheap to run.

ians200 was it a big job to change s model seats for se/sports seats only ive been told its not a straight forward job , im watching a full set on ebay

No not that hard actually, if you win the seats drop me a pm and i will help all i can, also on here theres a thread about doing it. as if my magic http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=27788

Well I'm now the proud owner of "51" plate blue sport manual 57k with lexus history.

Even came in under budget because of a tiny knock thats slightly damaged the front bumper and pushed the headlamp back by 10mm but at that milage and history I'm more than happy to sort that.

It even came with refurbed wheels, 3 keys, all the handbooks all the tool kit and a working head unit.

Be ready for the stoopid newbie questions and thanks again for everyone's help and input.

Nice one, sounds great!

Hopefully you'll be as pleased with it as I am with mine!

Oh and as is always the case, we want pictures! Although I can talk, still haven't put pics of mine up yet.

Recently bought on and have lived with it for a few weeks now and I love it ! No rattles or squeaks, feels really solid for a smallish car and properly "built"

Ok it's not quick but I didn't buy it for that, I like the gearchange (nice and precise)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links