Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remould / Retread Tyres

My mate just picked up 4 remould tyres for his IS for £180. He seems very happy with them but my question is this. Would anybody here put remoulded tyres on their car?

I know that remoulds are subjected to the same load and speed tests as brand new tyres but I just couldn't put them on my car personally. I don't trust them! I'd always be waiting for them to fail!

Anybody else use remoulds and had good or bad experiences with them?

Thanks

Chris

Well this is a typical if you want to spent more you can story.... So long your IS isn't putting out more then 350 BHP on the wheels you should be fine.... In countries with way lesser economies then ours, tyres get remoulded and used as the normal standard (even cheap brand tyres are expensive in most of these countries and fetch premium prices) then and you can find them on everything from performance cars to heavy trucks....

So yes, unless you have a tyre shredding animal of a car you can drive around safely on remoulded tyres.. they are about 95% as strong as the original tyres but because they are remoulded (made from reused tyres) they are cheaper... ( and usually of higher brand names)

Conclussion:

I don't mind them, but I live in the UK, where I can get brand new tyres from a lesser brand, for the same money on my wheels and know those tyres will be 100% ok.... So I wouldn't settle for remoulds.

No chance. My first job as a 16 year-old was a trainee in a tyre & exhaust place and one of my lasting memories is the amount of remoulds that came back with problems like the steel cords poking through the tread and them being buckled out of shape etc. The failure rate seemed pretty high. They were also extremely heavy compared to a proper tyre and usually required loads of wheel weights to get them balanced. Absolutely horrendous in the wet too, by all accounts.

That was 20-odd years ago, mind. So I'm sure the technology has improved since then. In fact, I'm certain it has, but I still wouldn't touch them.

I wouldnt ever put remoulds on. At the end of the day the tyres are the most important thing on your car. imagine if you had your family in the car and you had a blow out on remoulds that caused an accident. how would you forgive yourself? i couldnt. atleast is they are decent new tyres then you would know that it wasnt your fault.

Never, ever! In fact I can't believe that even part worn tyres are still legal. Like others have said, tyres are one of the most important parts you'll ever put on a car. Not worth the risk in my opinion having remoulds or part worn.

Remoulds are fine if they are on an old smoker that you use for running round town but if you intend to zip up and down the motorway then I would prefer new rubber, even if they are cheapies... Like Kodiac Sky I have used them in the past when I was a kid and have had a couple of them peel their tread off.... But that was a long time ago. When travelling through Europe it is not unusual to redline the car in sixth, the tyres can get pretty warm and having your tread make a bid for freedom at those speeds could be quite unnerving

My mate just picked up 4 remould tyres for his IS for £180. He seems very happy with them but my question is this. Would anybody here put remoulded tyres on their car?

I know that remoulds are subjected to the same load and speed tests as brand new tyres but I just couldn't put them on my car personally. I don't trust them! I'd always be waiting for them to fail!

Thanks

Chris

Silly question, but they weren't a set of anthracite 18's by any chance were they??

Thing is, non remoulds can blow out and cause accidents too, which is just as bad AND more expensive.

Years and years ago I had an XR3i, which had some fairly suspect Michelin's on, and I couldn't afford a new set of tyres - especially on rims I was going to change in the near future - so I went for remoulds. All 4 (185 14's) should have been £55 fitted, but the guy did the PDQ wrong and charges me £5.50 - for all four! Cheapest set of tyres ever!

To be fair, can't say I remember them bring any worse than the Michelin's that were on there before...

Thanks

Chris

Silly question, but they weren't a set of anthracite 18's by any chance were they??

No he's got the common 11 spoke 17's.

Why? Do you sell remoulds? Lol..

Back in my taxi days, I used to use remould snow tyres, and they were brilliant.

They were made by Colway, who supplied remoulds to rally drivers if I recall correctly.

Probably, as with new tyres, there will be good and bad, finding which is good being the problem.

Personally, I wouldn't fit them to mine, snow tyres excepted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links