Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, thanks to the advice of many of you on here I picked up my new Lexus LS400 (mark 3 I think) today from a lovely guy in Milton Keynes. It's the car that was advertised here.

I endured a pretty dismal train ride down from Crewe. Numerous delays due to flooding and the like. But the previous owner had kindly agreed to meet me at the station and, on arrival, we drove to a nearby car park to chat about the car. Sun was shining, car was lovely, great guy and great car history too; loads of service stamps and countless receipts. So, after a thorough inspection of the car and the history, the deal was done and I began the drive back to Cheshire.

Wow! What a great ride. Quiet, refined and power on tap when needed even with the LPG Prins system working well. But you know this all, of course. But I can't believe it has taken me over 20 years of driving to find a car like this. So comfortable, smooth and a fantastic sound system too. As an ex-professional classical musician, I have never really enjoyed listening to classical music in any car. You loose so many of the subtleties. But here, with the serene quietness of the car and the great sound system (I eventually found out how to get the sound out of the back speakers too!) I really enjoyed listening to Dvorak 9 on Radio 3. Brilliant. I will spend many happy hours listening to classical music in there I'm sure.

Added bonuses include finding out that the car has had a starter motor and Battery fitted (both with 3 year guarantees) as well as all the considerable work listed in the ad. The car used to belong to the previous owners best mate so he was able to fill me in on all the work done since 2008. I've also got two spare wheels for some reason. Not sure where to put one though (as the spare wheel well is the LPG tank)? I presume that I could get a kit to deal with small punctures perhaps?

I'll get the car serviced next week and the front discs replaced (I think they are warped a bit) but, apart from that, I'll do the general tidying up, get it valeted and the bumpers repainted and everything will be grand. Seriously though, the paintwork and general condition of the car is amazing for something that is 14 years old. I'll also get the AC re-gassed in the hope that it is nothing more serious. And I'll order some new piston struts for the front bonnet to save having to hold it up all the time.

No pictures I'm afraid as it is still chucking it down here. But pictures will follow tomorrow prior to any professional valeting that will get done :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. One very happy new owner here.

Well, thanks to the advice of many of you on here I picked up my new Lexus LS400 (mark 3 I think) today from a lovely guy in Milton Keynes. It's the car that was advertised here.

I endured a pretty dismal train ride down from Crewe. Numerous delays due to flooding and the like. But the previous owner had kindly agreed to meet me at the station and, on arrival, we drove to a nearby car park to chat about the car. Sun was shining, car was lovely, great guy and great car history too; loads of service stamps and countless receipts. So, after a thorough inspection of the car and the history, the deal was done and I began the drive back to Cheshire.

Wow! What a great ride. Quiet, refined and power on tap when needed even with the LPG Prins system working well. But you know this all, of course. But I can't believe it has taken me over 20 years of driving to find a car like this. So comfortable, smooth and a fantastic sound system too. As an ex-professional classical musician, I have never really enjoyed listening to classical music in any car. You loose so many of the subtleties. But here, with the serene quietness of the car and the great sound system (I eventually found out how to get the sound out of the back speakers too!) I really enjoyed listening to Dvorak 9 on Radio 3. Brilliant. I will spend many happy hours listening to classical music in there I'm sure.

Added bonuses include finding out that the car has had a starter motor and battery fitted (both with 3 year guarantees) as well as all the considerable work listed in the ad. The car used to belong to the previous owners best mate so he was able to fill me in on all the work done since 2008. I've also got two spare wheels for some reason. Not sure where to put one though (as the spare wheel well is the LPG tank)? I presume that I could get a kit to deal with small punctures perhaps?

I'll get the car serviced next week and the front discs replaced (I think they are warped a bit) but, apart from that, I'll do the general tidying up, get it valeted and the bumpers repainted and everything will be grand. Seriously though, the paintwork and general condition of the car is amazing for something that is 14 years old. I'll also get the AC re-gassed in the hope that it is nothing more serious. And I'll order some new piston struts for the front bonnet to save having to hold it up all the time.

No pictures I'm afraid as it is still chucking it down here. But pictures will follow tomorrow prior to any professional valeting that will get done :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. One very happy new owner here.

Its a Mk 4.

Glad you have joined the club that gives you miles and miles of smiles.

Mike

You can pick a phone up for it on eBay for a tenner, its one my two kids wouldn't be seen dead with but you can still make telephone calls on it and receive them which I think is the main purpose of a telephone.

Mike

( chuckle chuckle ) ........... I found out about the LS400 ten years ago and wouldn't change my driving habits for any other car in the world.

Like abs66 comment " the intelligent owners club " :winky:

Malc

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I faffed and fannied around for ages, plucking up the courage to buy a big, old and complex car to replace a 'normal' one that was reliable and ran fine, but I've never regretted it. I wouldn't want to drive anything else on long journeys now.

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I faffed and fannied around for ages, plucking up the courage to buy a big, old and complex car to replace a 'normal' one that was reliable and ran fine, but I've never regretted it. I wouldn't want to drive anything else on long journeys now.

I can empathise with that. I've had older sports cars but never anything as comfortable as the LS400. Really enjoyed the ride to work this morning (only 5 miles). I can't believe that the LPG system kicked in less than 1/2 mile into the journey (after about 2 minutes). I was expecting it to run on petrol for most of the way whilst it warmed up. First impressions for me are of a fantastic car that, I hope, will serve me well for many years.

You can pick a phone up for it on Ebay for a tenner, its one my two kids wouldn't be seen dead with but you can still make telephone calls on it and receive them which I think is the main purpose of a telephone.

Mike

I'd quite fancy one of those. I had a quick look and quickly got a bit lost. Could you point me in the right direction please? The car seems to have a cradle (Nokia) fitted already and there is a microphone by the rear view mirror.

Glad it's a mark 4. How did you know?

Mk 4 had the Sat Navs.

Mike

Thanks Mike. The Sat Nav is a great feature in my view. Nicely aged and a good vintage. I wouldn't swap it for a TomTom but, there again, I probably won't ever have to use it either!

Congratulations on your new car, I am sure you will be happy with it, you will be discovering new things that you like for the next few weeks.

One word of warning though, you mention buying a new set of brake discs because the ones on the car are warped. Don't bother unless the discs are badly scored or have worn thin. The chances are they are not warped but you are suffering a very common "fault" on MK IV Ls400s. The discs get a build up of brake pad residue stuck on them which creates "sticky" patches on the disc causing the braking to feel slightly juddery when you brake lightly. If you brake a bit harder the juddering lessens but if you brake quite hard from high speed it can be a bit un-nerving. If you change the discs the problem will go away...for a few weeks and then you will be back to square one only this time you will be £200 out of pocket.

By all means get the discs checked by a professional but it is unlikely they will be warped.

I hope this hasn't put you off your pride and joy, you will just learn to live with it.

Steve.

One word of warning though, you mention buying a new set of brake discs because the ones on the car are warped. Don't bother unless the discs are badly scored or have worn thin. The chances are they are not warped but you are suffering a very common "fault" on MK IV Ls400s. The discs get a build up of brake pad residue stuck on them which creates "sticky" patches on the disc causing the braking to feel slightly juddery when you brake lightly. If you brake a bit harder the juddering lessens but if you brake quite hard from high speed it can be a bit un-nerving. If you chaMnge the discs the problem will go away...for a few weeks and then you will be back to square one only this time you will be £200 out of pocket.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I was going to get my mechanic to check this out but I will mention what you say to him. I trust his judgement. Thanks for the heads up though.

Welcome to the club.

Looks a stunner.

My bonnet struts were shot on my Ls400 when i got it, they were still shot a year later when i sold it to get my Ls430, i got some of them cheaper ones seen on a well known auction site, they lasted about 20 openings of the bonnet, and i don't let the bonnet drop, got my money back, steer clear of them ones. Glad i saved the old ones.

After the few bits you going to do she should be spot on for a few years yet.

good luck and enjoy the smiles per miles :phone:

Welcome to the club.

Looks a stunner.

My bonnet struts were shot on my Ls400 when i got it, they were still shot a year later when i sold it to get my Ls430, i got some of them cheaper ones seen on a well known auction site, they lasted about 20 openings of the bonnet, and i don't let the bonnet drop, got my money back, steer clear of them ones. Glad i saved the old ones.

good luck and enjoy the smiles per miles :phone:

Thanks. I've ordered some from www.strutsdirect.co.uk which was recommended on another thread here. About £40 inc postage. I will try and fit them at the weekend if this rain ever stops.

I have an old Nokia that I used in mine until the taxi squad said it was in the way of passengers. It might fit your cradle. Google the numbers on the cradle and find out which ones fit it and let me know and might be able to sort something out.

Well done glad the car is as genuine as it sounded. Now you have given yourself the problem of in years down the line what to replace it with :unsure: nothing will match it.

I may go for a 53 plate on 430 next (in a couple of years that is). Enjoy your fabulous car & I hope it will be as good as my one has been ( I sort of Know it will be).

The cd player has a far better sound than the radio ( I sometimes just sit in mine outside the house when I get home or have an extra drive round the block & that's 5 years on).

Enjoy your bargain rolls royce beater.

Mark

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links