Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 2Nd Mk4, And 1St Little Problem...

Hello fellow Lexians,

Bought my first LS a while ago, '98 Mk4, and caught the bug (as you do). Bodywork wasn't brilliant so I recently acquired a 2000 DHP which is in much finer fettle, despite 170-odd K.

I'm on the Sussex coast. First car came from Wales and is now in Suffolk. Newer car came from Cheshire.

Anyways, the little problem. Exterior Temp is always showing 50c. It's also affecting the climate control I'm sure, I have to have it at least 28c to get any heat out. Any clues on how to fix this? Knowing where the ext temp sensor is would help!

Many thanks for any assistance.

DSCN0027.jpg

R60EST1.jpg

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

If you look at your front number plate the sensor is fitted behind the bumper more or less where the blue GB symbol is.

You may have to look from underneath to access it.

Being exposed they do fail or even fall off the bracket, replacements from Lexus are around £50.00.

Many thanks. I think I can see where the sensor is from above, I'll have a wiggle and pull it out.

I've noticed some minor spec improvements between 98 and 2000, previously I thought they were identical, might be of use to others?

'blank' option on the message centre display - my favourite improvement!

both mirrors dip on reverse when switch over to Left.

mirrors have fold function

moulded in handle inside bootlid carpet trim

Also, I'm sure this one isn't quite as silent from the cabin. It has the undertray present, where the old one didn't. That would figure I guess.

Hello fellow Lexians,

Bought my first LS a while ago, '98 Mk4, and caught the bug (as you do). Bodywork wasn't brilliant so I recently acquired a 2000 DHP which is in much finer fettle, despite 170-odd K.

I'm on the Sussex coast. First car came from Wales and is now in Suffolk. Newer car came from Cheshire.

Anyways, the little problem. Exterior Temp is always showing 50c. It's also affecting the climate control I'm sure, I have to have it at least 28c to get any heat out. Any clues on how to fix this? Knowing where the ext temp sensor is would help!

Many thanks for any assistance.

DSCN0027.jpg

R60EST1.jpg

Where abouts are you on the Sussex coast? We have me from Worthing and another from Brighton. Nice colour, same as mine.

Phil

I think the DHP makes a difference to the quietness and ride quality. Not quite as wafty but goes round corners a little flatter. It would be interesting to try 16'' wheels instead of the DHP 17'' and see the difference. I suspect it's mainly down to the profile of the tyres.

Have you kept the registration number? I'll look out for you (I live in Saltdean).

Leigh at Grove Garage, Hove (tel. 01273 773055) has serviced my Lex for as long as I've had it (two years) - and my smart car too. I've always found him helpful and trustworthy.

Many thanks, I'll be sure to give them a go. Might pop it in there whilst the missus is shopping in Brighton, as I sure will NOT park it in Churchill Sq (or any other) multistorey!

It's wearing the previous owners' reg R60 EST at the mo. I will probably get it changed back to a (hopefully the original) W- plate.

I'll be taking it up to the family in Scotland sometime. Last time's (overnight, fully loaded) journey of 550 miles on one tank; computer said avg 34.9mpg iirc. which I was blown away by.

I recently bought petrol in Brighton, reset the Average MPG on the computer and set off for Suffolk. Admittedly I was driving gently, but when I arrived 150 miles later the average MPG was showing as 38.5. A few days' running around brought it down to 34 but I reckon that's still pretty good.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links