Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Removing Fitting Dash Clips To Fix Rattles

My dash has a few of the dreaded rattles. They are not relly bad but they will annoy me soon I'm sure.

Has anyone tried fitting the new updated clips themselves that Lexus fitted to later models as a fix.?

I imagine it's a case of slacken dash of a pull forward to fit new clips rather than having to completely remove dash otherwise the Lexus labour would be more than 2 hours.

Carl

I'm pretty sure they remove the whole dash to fit these newer clips, especially the ones below the front windscreen

Sounds like I'll give my Lexus technician friend a call for some work on the side.

I got the dreaded crack sound now and again ... :s was hoping to do this myself as well ... will see what the local dealer says tomorrow lol ££££

From memory, Lexus charge about £300 to replace the uprated clips to stop dash rattle. I imagine just removing the MM and padding the plastic would be a cheaper job.

Id have ago myself at removing the dash but I have no idea where the screws are and dont want to break anything in trying.

Its one off the jobs that is probably easy once you know exactly what needs removing and exactly where they are.

Be interested to hear what Lexus want to charge you.

Keep us posted.

Carl

will do ... got no rattles ... it's just the crack sound ... have read its a different issue .. as you said I thinks it's felt padding needed under the stereo console

but will pop in and ask, will be interesting if they know what I'm talking about lol

I got the dreaded crack sound now and again ... :s was hoping to do this myself as well ... will see what the local dealer says tomorrow lol ££££

That is a known issue and recall fix.

Had mine done. What year is yours?

Somewhere on my pc at home I have a link to a vid on stereo removal. Believe the crack is fixed by inserting plastic washer between stereo and climate control box.

I had the one slightly higher but still in the centre near the windscreen.

I was really lucky. I took out the centre speaker and wedged a piece of rubber pipe between the two parts of the dash. Its done the trick.

normski2, <Just found this.. may be of use to you for getting the stereo out.>

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Fascinating.

I was sweating buckets! :-)

Really enjoyed watching though.

I'll be interested to know what BB1000 and Carl911 find out re. costs to fix.

Argento

normski2, <Just found this.. may be of use to you for getting the stereo out.>

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Fascinating.

I was sweating buckets! :-)

Really enjoyed watching though.

I'll be interested to know what BB1000 and Carl911 find out re. costs to fix.

Argento

Well, the guy I use who works for Lexus will remove the dash and replace clips for £150.

Still seems a lot of money but still half what Lexus themselves charge and this is the guy that would do the job if I took it to Lexus.

He done my IS220d which had a really bad rattly dash. Usually sounds like its coming from the centre speaker area but it is usually the clips.

One way you can check is if you physically grab your dash and pull towards you then push back towards the windscreen.

You will be able to feel the dash movement. If not, then your clips are probably ok.

Mine had quite a lot of play and replacing the clips a year ago completely cured the rattles.

Carl

@ BB1000

Has the crack only started happening since it's been cold? Is it the left corner of the dash?

One of my intermittent rattles comes from the left corner of the dash.

I assume you know what causes this!

Catl

@ BB1000

Has the crack only started happening since it's been cold? Is it the left corner of the dash?

One of my intermittent rattles comes from the left corner of the dash.

I assume you know what causes this!

Catl

I believe this one requires the new clips. The sound proofing kit alone costs in excess of a hundred pounds. Although thankfully most dealers modify the existing clips to decrease the amount of play in the dashboard. A word of advice about the dashboard is that it has some temperature related contracting and expanding elements in it so you may have a totally different part of the dashboard creaking in the summer. I paid to have my dash fixed in June and ever since we've held the cold spell my dashboard has started to make noises again. I will ring the dealer and get it booked in due course. Any work carried out by a dealer will have a one year warranty and will get you through both the seasons to test your dash. Not that I am recommending you take your car to a dealer, just a heads up so that you can discuss this with your technician.

well only had the car 2 weeks ... it definitely comes from the middle near the stereo ... I even felt it when I was fiddling with the buttons one day

Two possibilities:

- One can be fixed by re-seating the cabling to the stereo.

- The other requires padding to sort of create an insulation.

It's very easy to remove the center console. I recommend giving this one a shot yourself.

This may interest some of you who wish to explore a bit more about Dash Removal.

There is quite a lot to scroll through but it is nonetheless very useful for information.

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/IS_05-12/rm0153e/repair2/html/contents/rm000001ogd001x.html#RM000001OGD001X_01_0033

• 2 weeks later...

@ BB1000

I have a 2010 IS250 F-Sport and my rattling has started again so its definitely related to cold weather. When I first purchased the car I told Lexus about this, they wanted to hear the problem themselves. I went to the garage took them for a drive and the car was silent! They refused to look into it unless they could hear the rattle themselves.

My car is still under warranty so its a know issue I'd like to get this resolved if possible.

A 2010 model shouldn't have the rattles we are talking about but if your dashboard has a rattle then by all means you should take it to the dealer to have it fixed. The thing is your dash may only rattle for a while when it's really cold. As the engine and cabin gets warmer the rattle may go away.

If this is the case then to replicate the problem in presence of a dealer you just need to make sure the car and engine are cold when you arrive at the dealer. Depending on how far you are from the dealer this may not be feasible and you may have to leave the car with them overnight.

I called Lexus Leeds yesterday as my car does that too (stone hitting windscreen type of noise), it's a 2006 model.

They quoted me £99 including VAT for fixing it. The fix apparently consists of taking the stereo out and install different padding.

I will probably attempt to fix it myself.

You are quite right thats exactly what they do. It is a quite alarming sound. Like someone just fired a pellet at your windscreen!!

On the subject of rattles..my 2010 has no rattles at all thus far. Hoping it stays that way.

You are quite right thats exactly what they do. It is a quite alarming sound. Like someone just fired a pellet at your windscreen!!

On the subject of rattles..my 2010 has no rattles at all thus far. Hoping it stays that way.

My 2006 has a small rattle that only seems to be there from stone cold for around ten minutes or so untill car is warm. It seems to come from the passenger side of the dash where dash meets windscreen column.

It may be that this car has already had the updated clips but I was going to get them done anyway to be sure.

I have to say its not that bad so Im happy to put it off until the new year though. A lot of the time I have my Mark Levinson too loud to hear it anyway-lol.

Carl

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links