Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Real Life Mpg

BarneyTT

Well it's been a few years since posting on hear since selling my LS400, I currently own a BMW335d M-Sport which is a great car but I really don't use a car much anymore (less than 2,000 miles per year) and I'm thinking of getting something older but interesting partly to avoid yearly depreciation on the BMW and partly to get back behind the wheel of a Lexus.

Have always loved Toyota (4 Supra's) and Lexus so started looking around at possible cars up to around £4,000 (I'm thinking this would get me a good, lowish mile example IS300?) and the IS300 seems the sort of car I might be interested in. I have read most of the stuff on here and very helpful it was too, but I would really like some real world figures from members/owners on MPG, my research has thrown up some very mixed figures on this.

Any other tips regarding ownership good or bad would be welcome, cheers.

Well it's been a few years since posting on hear since selling my LS400, I currently own a BMW335d M-Sport which is a great car but I really don't use a car much anymore (less than 2,000 miles per year) and I'm thinking of getting something older but interesting partly to avoid yearly depreciation on the BMW and partly to get back behind the wheel of a Lexus.

Have always loved Toyota (4 Supra's) and Lexus so started looking around at possible cars up to around £4,000 (I'm thinking this would get me a good, lowish mile example IS300?) and the IS300 seems the sort of car I might be interested in. I have read most of the stuff on here and very helpful it was too, but I would really like some real world figures from members/owners on MPG, my research has thrown up some very mixed figures on this.

Any other tips regarding ownership good or bad would be welcome, cheers.

real life figures, mines getting around 18 MPG around town, alot better on a run, depends how you drive really!

I have a 52 plate is300 for sale if youd be interested in that, the is some pics of it on another post with spec ect only done 59K fsh, have a look, looking for around £3850 for her! cheers Ryan

Thanks for your replies.

Ryan, yes I've seen your car in the other post and very nice it is too. Sadly I'm still in the research stage at presnt otherwise I might have been tempted, what's the betting should I decide to go down the IS300 route there won't be any available when I'm ready!

I'd expect mid to high 20s fuel consumption too. As an example I averaged 23mpg with mainly A road driving in my GS300 with basically the same engine, and that had a lower tech fuel injection system on it. So with the same driving and lighter IS with better fuel management etc I'd expect it to be better on fuel.

ahh right, well you know where to find me if you decide on one. :)

Indeed I do, thanks

mid 20s for me, mines only for sale for £20,000 tho, cos I don't wanna sell :D

Might pass on £20k besides I wouldn't want to break up a happy partnership :-)

Generally, thanks for the info/replies.

As others have said, it varies massively depending what I am doing. Short town journies can be as poor as 18-19mpg, and a bit worse in the winter. My best ever was 29.8mpg on the run from Derby to Inverness, but 23-24 is my usual tank average in everyday driving.

Owned a is200 for a year before bought my is300 and thought that the fuel would'nt be that much more...FOOL!! The is300 drinks the stuff, lucky its got the sat nav so i can see where the next petrol station is!! Love it though.

Thanks Ian, Chris.

The figures you quoted Ian were much what I expected but had read figures as low as 16mpg so thought it better to ask people who own and run is300's.

My BMW returns around 38 to 40mpg on a run and around 28-30 around town so it's a bit of a concern should I decide to change, having said that my old LS400 returned pretty similar mpg so it's not as if it's unkown territory.

Any tips other than what's already been mentioned regarding buying and ownership would be welcomed.

18-20 in town and stop start driving and 30-33mpg on longer motorway journeys is achievable for me in my IS3. all down to how its driven really!! hasnt let me down.. This link has few tips you can check when looking.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=78264&hl=

curiuos question: why IS300 and not another LS400 or LS430?

I got a IS300 sportcross I don't really monitor my mpg in city but 16-18mpg based on my at least 60mile carefree weekly mileage seems realistic. Motorway at 74-78 miles I frequently average 32-34 any faster you be doing you go as low as 25mpg.

In the city driving style is key get to the speed limit fairly quick, foot off gas for a moment and cruise that keeps it in a higher gear, coast, anticipate other driver behavior and generally avoid sudden speed changes and stopping. Now with this car you can easily double or even treble fuel consumption the key is to keep the revs low but still maintain efficient burning by driving at higher speed, keep the oil fresh and topped up and if mileage is high consider new spark plugs originals will last the cars life time but I changed mine just to be sure the right stuff is in there, not some cheap Halfords replacement (did the same for brake pads).

I got a little girl now and am patiently on my way to get a RX400h and looking to sell or px the IS300 its done 132k and is in very good condition.

Thanks Noby/Kalibur, interesting reading and general driving tips noted....it's always good to get the lowdown on the best way to achieve good mpg.

Noby, in answer to your question regarding another LS, basically when I had the LS400/430 I also had a Supra TT so had the choice of luxury or sporty, I've since gone down to owning one car and would like a bit of both (within reason) and the IS300 seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

Thanks Noby/Kalibur, interesting reading and general driving tips noted....it's always good to get the lowdown on the best way to achieve good mpg.

Noby, in answer to your question regarding another LS, basically when I had the LS400/430 I also had a Supra TT so had the choice of luxury or sporty, I've since gone down to owning one car and would like a bit of both (within reason) and the IS300 seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

IS300 sure does tick some boxes..with its toned down Supra engine, powerful gearbox and lighter weight compared to GS300 which shares the same engine.

IS300 is a 400bhp street car which has been detuned to half of that without a turbo , ECU and high power exhaust..stick these missing items back on there and its a Supra with four doors.. so the potential is there to get back to Supra power with a bit of luxury to match if you wish.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links