Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My sat nav plays up. when you go to use it sometimes it just will not let you set a destination. You have to wait until the option becomes available again. There seems to be an intermittent fault. Is it. Possible to swop the sat nav for a more up to date version? Alternatively should I invest in technology which allows me to project a more modern sat nav through he screen?

I look forward to views.

When they were produced in 2003 I am sure he were state of he art but they have moved on since then.

Barry

Sorry to hijack the thread but is there any way of cancelling the sat nav mode so everytime i start the car i dont have to press i agree and then climate to get out of the map screen? obviously for me the climate is the most used screen - i rarely need the sat nav

Sorry to hijack the thread but is there any way of cancelling the sat nav mode so everytime i start the car i dont have to press i agree and then climate to get out of the map screen? obviously for me the climate is the most used screen - i rarely need the sat nav

On my Mk4 LS400 it will always open up at which ever screen was the last to be used, ie last used climate screen before parking up, then that's the screen it will open at. Mike

Yes, you can't enter an address when moving, but here is a handy hint to override that function

You can also tap a point of interest and set it as a destination when moving, which is very handy

:0)

Nige

This will not work if you have upgraded to the 07 version I believe and it never worked on my GEN01 system 2002 LS430. If you have the newer nav systems then this http://www.beatsonic...*****-module.html is supposed to work - I got it from another forum.

Alternatively you can put a switch in the cabling to disable the vehicle speed sensor while you update your destination - you have to put the VSS back on or the system will not update after you have changed destinations.

Here is how to do it - my mate did it and it works but I have not - you are on your own and don't blame me for any probs. I downloaded this from another forum ages ago and cannot find the link so apologies for the long post - if I find a link I will post it and clean this up.

Bren

First let me thank all the others that have posted information on the other platforms; the GS300, and IS250 Forums in particular has lots of info on the Gen 5 Nav systems that made my work a lot easier.

Second you can do this yourself, no need to spend the money on some of the commercial devices. All you need is simple tools, a magnetic screwdriver, socket set, wire cutters, small wire caps and/or tape, and a simple switch. Also some kind of plastic trim removal tool or a taped screwdriver is required. I purchased a package set of five tools from Harbor Freight for about $5 or so. IMHO the hardest part is taking care of the trim removal and running a wire to the cabin. Just take your time and you won’t damage anything. Also be careful not to lose the 9 or so screws you need to remove, they can fall in places you wont be able to recover them. I stuffed the openings with towels and used a magnetic screwdriver while removing the screws. Also if you plan to add a Vaistech MP3/Video interface SL2Vi or SL2Vu this is the perfect time to do this in conjunction with the NAV hack.

So here is what I am going to present, I will give you an overview of the Mod, I will present the effected wiring, and then follow up with some details, photos and some technical information.

Technical Summary: You need to ground the Parking Brake signal coming into the NAV MDU (Multi Display Unit). You need to cut/disable the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) coming into the NAV MDU. If you do just these two things you will be able to access locked Bluetooth functions while driving, and if you install a Vaistech video interface you can watch video while moving. In order to allow Nav Destination input while driving you need to route the VSS signal on the NAV EU (Electronics Unit) thru a switch you install in the cabin. Alternatively you can just cut that wire, but navigation will be jumpy (not recommended).

Locations: The Nav MDU is of course located in the center console. The Nav EU is located in the truck in the passenger rear wheel well and is easily accessible.

Basic Steps. Step One is cutting two wires on one harness of the NAV MDU. Connecting one of the wires to an electrical ground location and capping the remaining three connections. Step Two requires cutting one wire from the NAV EU and inserting a switch in-between those wires and locating that switch in the cabin. Below is the

Wiring Harnesses and Pin Locations

NAV MDU

M4 Connector (26 Pins)

(Facing the front of the NAV unit display it is the connector located on nearest the passenger side or right side)

(M4-16) LG Pin #16 Light Green wire: Cut wire; GROUND the side that goes into the radio. Tape and/or Cap the other side

(M4-25) V-W Pin #25 Violet/White wire: Disconnect/Cut wires, cap/tape both sides of the wire.

NAV EU

N4 Connector (18 Pins)

(Looking down on the unit in the trunk it is the furthest most left connector or the connector facing closest to the passenger compartment)

(N4-5) V Pin #5 Violet wire: Cut wire; insert a standard switch SPST (Single Position Single Throw) that is cabin/driver/passenger assessable. Run a wire between switch in cabin and the NAV EU in the trunk.

(I would consider letting a professional car stereo installer run the wire from the cabin to the trunk, since you must remove a portion of the rear seat to get access to the trunk. I would think they would charge between 1 –2 hours of labor for that, <$100 I would think.)

Detailed Instructions:

For step one, you need to get access to the MAV MDU. There are various instructions on getting access to the NAV MDU on the LS430 Forum. See post “Service Manual: Removing Navigation Unit” For trim removal see this file on the Forum, (davegs4.pdf) at “04 LS430 Ashtray Alternative” post #69. It shows how to remove almost all the interior of a LS430. All this and more can be found at Toyota Information Service online.

NAV MDU: remove and unplug the switch assembly that has the seat heaters, etc with a trim removal tool. Now you have access to the three screws below the “ECT Switch assembly and others” remove them and move switch assembly out the way, you don’t have to unplug it. Remove the cover below and around the CD changer. You need to place the car’s stick shift in Drive in order to pull CD cover assembly out and turn it upside down so you can use it as a work holder for the NAV/Radio assembly you will remove next. Now you have access to the two lower bolts that hold the Nav/Radio Assembly, remove them. Next remove the two temperature control switches with a trim tool, they are in there good so some careful effort is needed to remove them. Remove and unplug the switches which will give you access to the four screws that hold the Nav /Radio Assembly at the top. Remove the 4 bolts using a combination socket set (10MM) and a magnetic screwdriver so the screws don’t fall into the abyss! Gentle wiggle/pull the whole assembly forward. Once the NAV Assembly is out you should be able to turn it sideways so you can work on the unit. There are two connectors at the top of the unit; I removed both connectors as it gave me more run to work. I used the CD cover assembly trim piece as a stand for the NAV Assembly so I could work, cover all with a towel etc to protect your trim! It’s a Lexus you want to keep it looking Sexy Lexy! Once you have access to the back of the NAV MDU, you will be working on the M4 connector, the 26-pin connector nearest the passenger side. Follow the instructions below.

NAV MDU

M4 Connector (26 Pins)

(Facing the front of the NAV unit it is the connector located on the NAV MDU nearest the passenger side or right side)

(M4-16) LG Pin #16 Light Green wire: Cut wire; GROUND the side that goes into the radio, use the bolt and a new wire as shown. Tape and/or Cap the other side.

(M4-25) V-W Pin #25 Violet/White wire: Cut wire, cap/tape both sides of the wire.

NAV EU: is located in trunk under the passenger side rear wheel well. Once you remove the corner trunk trim piece, you just remove the two bolts that hold the NAV EU in place. Because the NAV EU is on a rail, you need to move the unit up and forward to release it from its rail. Once you have the unit out of the rail. Remove the N4 connector and follow instructions below. Once you make the mod, don’t be alarmed that the NAV system will do a startup boot.

NAV EU

N4 Connector (18 Pins)

(Facing the front of the Nav EU it is the furthest most left connector)

(N4-5) V Pin #5 Violet wire: Cut wire; insert a standard switch SPST (Single Position Single Throw) that is cabin/driver/passenger assessable between the two wires.

References:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/ Toyota Technical Information

These are some of the documents there that where useful:

Lexus Navigation System: Terminals of the ECU (2005 LS 430)

Navigation ECU Replacement (2005 LS430)

Navigation MDU Replacement (2005 LS430)

Audio & Visual System Location

Overall EWD (Electrical Wiring Diagram)

Component Location

Glossary of Term

That’s It I hope a few of you find this useful.

Pics to go with the text

http://s1336.beta.ph...Pics01.jpg.html

http://s1336.beta.ph...Pics02.jpg.html

My 96 LS400 does not have built-in satnav. My problem is that I cannot fix my mount to the dashboard even with one Garmin sticky pad mounts and although I can use the windscreen mount, that makes the device too far away for my little arms to reach. Any ideas gratefully received.

Live with it or go buy a LS430 !!!!

I think I know what I would do ......... find a way to get that sticky pad more flexible.... when I need a satnav my partner plugs hers into the cigarette lighter and holds it.

Malc

My 96 LS400 does not have built-in satnav. My problem is that I cannot fix my mount to the dashboard even with one Garmin sticky pad mounts and although I can use the windscreen mount, that makes the device too far away for my little arms to reach. Any ideas gratefully received.

You can always use one of those mounts that use the air vents. Make sure you buy a really good one though as originaly I bought a cheap one which basically went straight into the bin I bought one from TomTom and that's a whole new ball game. Will try and post a picture tomorrow. Mike

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links