Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

De-Ice Front Windscreen

Asuming you have the relevant button on a 07 model..... just hit the heated windscreen button, left of the heated rear screen/wing mirror button. Works a treat. Deiced mine in a couple of minutes this morning. Admittedly... i go back into the house for a couple of minutes while the car is warming..just while I collect my bags and stuff. Don't do this if you are out on a public road!!!!

I think you mean 'front' which demists the front windscreen with AC. Pretty sure that the is250 does not have heated front screen.

So here's what I did today:

- Started car and pressed both 'Font' and wiper deicer.

- Waited about 2 minutes.

- The AC was killing me so I hit Auto again and went inside to get the keys for my garage to get a deicer spray.

- Sprayed that and screen cleared immediately

I did not use the washer fluid or the wipers until after spraying the car with the deicer. This is because on my previous car the screen-wash would freeze to the screen too.

I think you mean 'front' which demists the front windscreen with AC. Pretty sure that the is250 does not have heated front screen.

All the IS250/220/IS-F have a heated front screen, just that the elements are in the bottom of the screen. Need to deactivate the auto wiper function and press the front screen heat button to de-ice the wiper blades, to remove the risk of leaving the edge of the blades stuck to the glass..

Yesterday the screen was completely iced over but the front screen heater de-frosted from the bottom up even before the heating system got warm.

Above all, when it usually means get the most favorite Asics Running Shoes on the greatest discount. Right here, I am heading to notify you some pointers where by to find the Asics Shoes you want online.But, now the Asics Gel Kayano 17 can be observed on a large discounted price.There are some outlets such as Asics Australia that promote several versions, like Asics Gel Lyte III and so on. When you are wanting for a inexpensive price think about that Asics UK shop offer the price have not incorporate delivery price or absolutely free delivery. And Asics Gel Lyte provide several measurement, And you will truly feel that you are lucky sufficient to find your Asics Gel Stratus 2.1. These kind of Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 immediately conform to ones normal running, Asics Mexico 66, along with never inflict anything done to you that you simply might come across ¡®out of place. These kind of Asics Running Shoes usually are everything regarding stability they've far more midriff help support regarding athletes along with cheaper arches who seem to call for Womens Asics Trainers to deliver movement command. This type of help support, the actual Asics Mexico 66 can an excellent work of.Invest in your Onitsuka Tiger Mini Cooper on the internet undoubtedly!

A lot of spam here lately :megaangry:

Above all, when it usually means get the most favorite Asics Running Shoes on the greatest discount. Right here, I am heading to notify you some pointers where by to find the Asics Shoes you want online.But, now the Asics Gel Kayano 17 can be observed on a large discounted price.There are some outlets such as Asics Australia that promote several versions, like Asics Gel Lyte III and so on. When you are wanting for a inexpensive price think about that Asics UK shop offer the price have not incorporate delivery price or absolutely free delivery. And Asics Gel Lyte provide several measurement, And you will truly feel that you are lucky sufficient to find your Asics Gel Stratus 2.1. These kind of Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 immediately conform to ones normal running, Asics Mexico 66, along with never inflict anything done to you that you simply might come across ¡®out of place. These kind of Asics Running Shoes usually are everything regarding stability they've far more midriff help support regarding athletes along with cheaper arches who seem to call for Womens Asics Trainers to deliver movement command. This type of help support, the actual Asics Mexico 66 can an excellent work of.Invest in your Onitsuka Tiger Mini Cooper on the internet undoubtedly!

A lot of spam here lately :megaangry:

Did I miss something...what's that all about

IS doesn't have a full heated screen like a Focus or Mondeo. In fact no Lexus does. My IS has the wiper heated part, but that won't demist or de-ice a screen. Fortunately, the IS engine warms up quick enough (ie within 5 mins) to blow warm enough air onto it to demist, but you're gonna have to manually defrost/de-ice it.

And contrary to popular belief, hot/warm water will de-ice your screen just fine without cracking it. I'm a windscreen fitter by trade, and in winter I pour hot tap water over my van screen every day to de-ice it, and haven't cracked one yet. When it snows, and my car is sat out in it for a week without being used, I fill up a couple washing up bowls of hot water to pour over the car to get rid of the snow and ice from it. The difference is, that how water from the tap will be fine, but boiling water from a kettle is too much, and will crack screens (especially ones with defects like stone chips). You need warm/hot tap water, and you need to pour it from the very top of the screen so it runs down (because it cools as it does). And also, the hotter the water (ie, boiling) the faster it will refreeze (the refrigeration principal - the heat of the water de-ices the screen, but the heat is whipped away by the cold outside temp, allowing the screen to rapidly cool again, and refreeze. It's this very fast cold > hot > cold that causes glass to crack, although this is usually only happens if you have a stone chip, which is a stress point)

IS doesn't have a full heated screen like a Focus or Mondeo. In fact no Lexus does. My IS has the wiper heated part, but that won't demist or de-ice a screen. Fortunately, the IS engine warms up quick enough (ie within 5 mins) to blow warm enough air onto it to demist, but you're gonna have to manually defrost/de-ice it.

As I said, the lower screen heating elements in my IS-F defrosted the screen way before the engine had got to temperature, so wasn't any need to manually scrape it.

Unfortunately the chemical properties of glass do not make it possible for heat to spread through it like that. It is impossible for something that is located at the base of the screen to impact the whole screen in such a manner. This is the reason the manufacturer calls the feature a wiper deicer and not a front heated screen. :)

The only logical explanation I can think of for Tango's observation is that wind may have been blowing towards the car taking the hot air at the base of the windscreen and forcing it to glide with the rest of it which resulted in the rapid defrostation of the whole screen.

More likely that the blower was directing the warmed air up the screen :unsure: who knows, but I assure you it happened. I hope people do not think I was saying the whole screen defrosted at the same time, it was a gradual warm up from the bottom to the top and took less than four minutes, so not as fast as my Ford Mondy (the windscreen defrost I mean :lol:), but that has fine vertical elements all over .

Tango, am I correct in assuming that it is normal for the fan to not start blowing immediately when the car is turned on if climate control is set to auto? I spend about 30 seconds on my drive after starting the car and then start rolling it gently with a light foot till the engine reaches its optimum temperature. I think the fan kicks in within half a mile or so and until then I survive on the heated seats. I mean I could override the climate control to start blowing the fan earlier but that kind of defeats the purpose of having climate control.

Let me create a scenario here and ask for your advice. Let's just say you get up in the morning to leave and your car is covered in frost. You want to remove the frost and get the cabin warm asap. You start the engine and hit the wiper deicer. I am with you up-till now. Also lets just assume that the climate control is already set to auto with optimum temperature of 21.5-22.

What do you do next?

- Do you wait for the cars fan to kick in? Assuming this is normal and my car is not the odd one out where the fan does not kick in immediately.

- Do you press 'Front' on the dash. If yes then do you increase the temperature or something? I mean by default 'Front' just throws out air conditioned air. We don't want that. The car is already cold.

- Do you hit the climate button on the dash. Set the fan speed, select windscreen vent and increase the temperature.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Both in my IS250 SE-L and IS-F the fan kicks in immediately when I press the front and rear heater buttons with the climate control set to "Auto". The setting is on vent from the outside, although it would probably make more sense to have it on re-circulation.

Fortunately defrosting the windscreen isn't something I do very often as both my Lexus are kept in a heated garage, but on this occasion I was overnight in a hotel and the IS-F car was frosted over after a night in the open. I did put the wipers back on auto as soon as the bottom of the screen cleared, and yes I had my heated seat on..

Your question threw me as I remember the fan blowing quite hard from the windscreen vents, so just to make sure I have just returned from the garage having gone through the same routine and can confirm the fan kicked in immediately. The garage heaters are on frost setting so the car wasn't anywhere near the 21.5 degrees that the climate control is set at.

If the screen hadn't cleared so quickly I would have used a scraper, but as I keep saying, it wasn't necessary on this occasion.

Just as a side note, I try not to exceed 2000 rpm until the temperature gauge is at normal, whatever the outside temperature, and this takes about a mile at 30/40 mph. I thought the V8 may warm up a little quicker than the V6, but in reality there's no noticable difference.

Anyway

Really useful and interesting exchanges here from Tango, Mat-C and others.

Does my MY 2011 IS250 F-Sport have the "Windshield wiper de-icer" function?

It's too cold for me to go out and check right now! :phone:

Argento

My IS220d 2009 takes between 17 and 20 miles to warm up and reach operating temperature. Lexus state this is normal

Yours being a diesel will take more than double the time to warm up as a petrol car does. I don't know why but I have always found this.

My petrol IS is up to full working temp within 3-4 miles! :)

Thanks Tango. So it seems that nobody pours anything in the washer fluid to aid the defrosting. Fair enough.

I just sit in mine playing games on my phone with everything turned on until it all clears. Lol :)

Takes about 10 mins and away I go. Never scrape my windows. Too cold for that :)

ChrisIS200SportTTE, that's reassuring, thanks.

I've got the dreaded " *: If equipped " on page 265 of the OM

So I'm not too hopeful.

Let's see what the others might say.

Incidentally, to maybe help inform the earlier discussion, that page says:

"This feature is used to prevent ice from building up on the windshield and wiper blades."

So Mat-C was dead right when he said it was not a "heated windscreen" as such.

Argento

Really useful and interesting exchanges here from Tango, Mat-C and others.

Does my MY 2011 IS250 F-Sport have the "Windshield wiper de-icer" function?

It's too cold for me to go out and check right now! :phone:

Argento

No it doesn't. This feature was never available any of the F - Sport models

Incidentally, to maybe help inform the earlier discussion, that page says:

"This feature is used to prevent ice from building up on the windshield and wiper blades."

So Mat-C was dead right when he said it was not a "heated windscreen" as such.

Looking back over the posts no one even hinted that the IS, whether first or second generation, had a windscreen with heating elements over the entire screen. However, if you're unfortunate enough to require a new windscreen you'll be asked if it is a "heated windscreen" or not, so it's still an apt description.

Lexus were obviously being very carefull not to infringe Fords patent on the full heated windscreen by declaring it as a "wiper blade de-icer" and I'm surprised they state that one of the purposes is to "prevent ice from building up on the windshield".

I'll add one more observation, and that's the heat put out by the windscreen heating elements on my IS200 and IS-F appears to be considerably more than that on my Ford.

I too find having the wiper heating element switched on clears the windscreen a lot faster than without (using same config of aircon). Although the windscreen does not have the chemical properties, there is definitely a fair degree of conduction taking place and all systems seem to compliment each other.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links