Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mobile Phones And Drink

WOOOO

I got my girl back yesterday evening, all sparkling clean and valeted, was so happy me and wifey went out for the evening and enjoyed the drive, and some nice food too, she drove back as i decided to have a pint to celebrate the return of my girl.

But i have noticed a minor (i hope) issue, i don't recall hearing it before but i can't be sure as i never got out the car while it ticks over, checked it again this morning and it's still there with a cold started engine.

When the car is ticking over, if you get out and stand near the engine you can hear a slight screeching noise like the noise from a worn/loose fanbelt. If you get someone to press the gas pedal the noise does speed up and slow down with rpm. You can't hear it in the car. The noise is not loud but it is noticeable.

No one at Lexus has said anything regarding it, i don't know if they noticed it.

Is that a likely culprit, and if so is it a home fix that is relatively easy or is it a garage jobby.

WOOOO

I got my girl back yesterday evening, all sparkling clean and valeted, was so happy me and wifey went out for the evening and enjoyed the drive, and some nice food too, she drove back as i decided to have a pint to celebrate the return of my girl.

But i have noticed a minor (i hope) issue, i don't recall hearing it before but i can't be sure as i never got out the car while it ticks over, checked it again this morning and it's still there with a cold started engine.

When the car is ticking over, if you get out and stand near the engine you can hear a slight screeching noise like the noise from a worn/loose fanbelt. If you get someone to press the gas pedal the noise does speed up and slow down with rpm. You can't hear it in the car. The noise is not loud but it is noticeable.

No one at Lexus has said anything regarding it, i don't know if they noticed it.

Is that a likely culprit, and if so is it a home fix that is relatively easy or is it a garage jobby.

Glad you got her back with minimum of fuss and that she looks as good as new.

Strange about the sound. We can be hyper critical because we are used to such quiet motoring. Have you asked anyone at your Lexus dealership about it?

Happy motoring again. Mike

Glad to know youve got your car back. I had a noise similer to yours on my first ls430. It turned out to be the idle pulley. So i had it changed along with the drive belt by lexus dealers for £159, after that it was all silent again. So it could be that.

I've got a similar sound on mine and I've been told it is the air conditioning compressor clutch/bearing. There seems to be mixed advice about whether it is sensible to replace just the bearing, or have it reconditioned, or replace the whole unit. At the moment I am driving around with the a/c off around half the time until I can find a replacement part or whole unit.

What an old motor engineer would have done is get his longest screwdriver 12 - 18 inches long and then place it on various parts he felt was the culprit and then put his ear to it. The nearer it got to the fault the louder and crisper the sound. Give it a go, if nothing else it will make you look as though you know what your doing. Mike

I had it on mine, when the weather was cold and for the 1st few minutes after starting there would be a slight screeching sound at the front of the engine.After a few minutes the noise would go and it would be fine until the next cold start.

I lubricated the top idler pulley and I've never heard it again in 3 years.

What an old motor engineer would have done is get his longest screwdriver 12 - 18 inches long and then place it on various parts he felt was the culprit and then put his ear to it. The nearer it got to the fault the louder and crisper the sound. Give it a go, if nothing else it will make you look as though you know what your doing. Mike

Health and Safety warning, if you wear a tie make sure you tuck it in your shirt before listening to the noise or you may find yourself getting closer to the belt than you would would like. :D

Health and Safety warning, if you wear a tie make sure you tuck it in your shirt before listening to the noise or you may find yourself getting closer to the belt than you would would like. :D

I rang Lexus and spoke to one of the mechanics who worked on the car and he does not recall any noises like i describe, but he said it sounds like the belt could be wearing.

I like the screwdriver stethoscope idea, will try it.

The tie thing is one I won't ever do after seeing a near fatal incident years back when I worked at Raleigh Cycles, although he did lose 2 fingers in the same incident, maybe it was his bad day.

I will stick a bit of oil on the pulley later to see if that sorts it, Unsure to the AC as the noise is there with it on or off.

I did speak to a local (2minutes walk) mechanic who worked on my old Ls400, he reckons it sounds like the engine belt and will happily replace it for £50 if I supply the belt. I may just do that anyway as the belt is probably from new so won't do any harm.

Will let you know.

I rang Lexus and spoke to one of the mechanics who worked on the car and he does not recall any noises like i describe, but he said it sounds like the belt could be wearing.

I like the screwdriver stethoscope idea, will try it.

The tie thing is one I won't ever do after seeing a near fatal incident years back when I worked at Raleigh Cycles, although he did lose 2 fingers in the same incident, maybe it was his bad day.

I will stick a bit of oil on the pulley later to see if that sorts it, Unsure to the AC as the noise is there with it on or off.

I did speak to a local (2minutes walk) mechanic who worked on my old Ls400, he reckons it sounds like the engine belt and will happily replace it for £50 if I supply the belt. I may just do that anyway as the belt is probably from new so won't do any harm.

Will let you know.

£50 sounds a bit steep - have a look at this video:

Belt ordered from here with free delivery too £18.90 same 6pk2240 part and a Continental branded part too.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-drive-belt

After watching the video i will have a crack myself, don't seem to be that difficult.

They posted it today and reckon it will be here Sat morning.

I'll change them all day for £50.00 a time!

It only takes a few minutes, the routing is quite complex but there is normally a diagram on the underside of the bonnet front edge.

My replacement was very tight going on even with the tensioner pulled fully back, I ended up kneeling on top of the engine to get enough slack to fully fit it.

Just in case.

post-12144-0-46821100-1355946307.jpg

Morning all

Well just done the deed of replacing the aforementioned belt.

No trouble at all and done in 15 minutes,hardest bit was getting the new belt fed into the area and keeping it on the wheels until i could lock it up on the tensioner wheel.

Very informative video.

Well then, i think iv'e earned a pint.

Cheers :phone:

Morning all

Well just done the deed of replacing the aforementioned belt.

No trouble at all and done in 15 minutes,hardest bit was getting the new belt fed into the area and keeping it on the wheels until i could lock it up on the tensioner wheel.

Very informative video.

Well then, i think iv'e earned a pint.

Cheers :phone:

As its Christmas have two. Well done and a Happy Christmas. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links