Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Service Plan

I just picked up my car from JAPEX in Hertfordshire. My IS200 went in for a yearly "Full Service". Theses guys are really helpful and know what they are talking about. There customer servcie is first class! all for £230! and they do it buy the toyota checklist sheet.

I would recommend these guys anytime! And would use these guys again !

Check them out at www.japexperformance.co.uk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefit of the service is all down to the technician and the workshop that he is working in. If the technician is keen and interested in finding work then he will be all over the car while the oil is draining looking for things that could be wrong with the car, read that as more work to sell to you. That way he can make a tidy sum on one car and the car is kept in good condition.

If the technician is a little less interested and just happy enough just to do the jobs put in front of him then he'll be out the back having a ciggie while the oil drains. The service checklist will be completed but in real terms it is only the most basic of items that can be assessed in two minutes.

The same goes for the workshop. If it's a busy place and booked to capacity on a daily basis then the techs are less inclined to look for more work as the pressure from the office will be getting the cars out the front into the workshop and done. If scheduled work is not done at the expense of work found during routine service then it can affect the dealerships reputation.

Then the other thing that is done is a trainee is put on your car, that is a very real possibility if the technicians are on repair work and while some of them are genuine and do try there are others who are beyond hopeless and really have little interest.

It's a gamble who gets your car and how it is looked after. Ignore the brochures and their "commitment". I've worked for prestige brands here and the U.S. and believe me they are no better than an independent who has a genuine interest in his business.

This is why I do my own service and repair work...

Service done. Paid through the Lexus Service Plan. After finding out that my SportCross had never had a cambelt change, that was booked in and done today. I had a telephone call to say that the timing belt and auxiliary belt needed replacing, as did the water pump. Okay, go ahead. Also the key takes 5 days for delivery, so we will have to book you in again next week. If I get the CT200h again, yes please, I don't think they hire out the LS600h! Oh well.

The cambelt and pump I paid for, but the service was covered. The car feels better, but the list and cost of potential repairs shocked me. Over £2000! Okay, £600 was just Lexus' recommended tyres from Bridgestone. But the cost of front fog lights and rear lights just because of condensation was astronomical. I'll get the list after the wife has gone to bed, I don't want to scare her.

Hi Stuart, I hope u are planning to keep the car, cos that is a lot!!!!, my service are in march , hope my bounus this year will cover all that and if any left over maybe a trip to the ring in summer :)

Service done. Paid through the Lexus Service Plan. After finding out that my SportCross had never had a cambelt change, that was booked in and done today. I had a telephone call to say that the timing belt and auxiliary belt needed replacing, as did the water pump. Okay, go ahead. Also the key takes 5 days for delivery, so we will have to book you in again next week. If I get the CT200h again, yes please, I don't think they hire out the LS600h! Oh well.

The cambelt and pump I paid for, but the service was covered. The car feels better, but the list and cost of potential repairs shocked me. Over £2000! Okay, £600 was just Lexus' recommended tyres from Bridgestone. But the cost of front fog lights and rear lights just because of condensation was astronomical. I'll get the list after the wife has gone to bed, I don't want to scare her.

Hi Stuart most of the parts like lights could be sourced second hand and that could save some ££'s or else you want all the parts being brand spanking new!?? £600 for Potenza tyres?? you could get RE050's through black circles for £116 fitted and my maths tells me 4 set will be around £465 saving £136

Still liking the idea of Lexus looking after your car now you've seen the cost of such good care and free buns?

Good afternoon Lance. Ummm. Yes, maybe. . . No wait, I am being foolish for liking the customer service and using this reasoning for going ahead with the service, a number of repairs I will use a trusted mechanic in Newport and yes, I will probably source some parts second hand, as I did with the stereo. I'm probably going to get Hankook tyres, only £30 cheaper than the Bridgestones quotes, but then, heyho! I want B rated tyres, I haven't found A rated tyres yet, there are some A/B, but not pure A.

Lights, is condensation insde the casing really as bad as Lexus make out?

A little condensation is normal at times due to the heat of the bulbs hitting the cold air and causing condensation, but a few minutes with the lights on should clear it. Unless the lens is cracked then all they probably need are the seam resealed with some silicone. I done that with my front fogs last year and haven't had a problem since. Get some photo's up and we'd know better.

Don't be mistaken in believing that because Lexus are a prestige brand that they are difficult or too technical to work on, they are not. Anyone competent who can work on a Toyota or Honda engines can work on these. There is nothing that justifies the shocking labour rate that Lexus charge. It's not as if they are Lamborghini and have the workings similar to that of the Space Shuttle! If you can afford it then go for it by all means but I'm just letting you know that you do have alternatives.

While we on the topic on tyres, can anyone recommend a good set of tyres for my IS200. I have some worn out Potenzas on them now but will need replacing soon.

You know what shafque am in the same boat as you my Pirelli Rosso's will need replacing in about 2 months time! and i just cant decide. am torn between Potenza, Pirelli, Toyo Proxes and Falken and you know what am starting to lean towards Falken even tho i have not experienced them before but They are Jap company and have a history of making grippy tyres for drifting and Lemans so am starting to get sold on their brand. but cant decide. oh one i was looking at was the Falken Azenis FK-453's and the price is reasoable too.

A little condensation is normal at times due to the heat of the bulbs hitting the cold air and causing condensation, but a few minutes with the lights on should clear it. Unless the lens is cracked then all they probably need are the seam resealed with some silicone. I done that with my front fogs last year and haven't had a problem since. Get some photo's up and we'd know better.

Don't be mistaken in believing that because Lexus are a prestige brand that they are difficult or too technical to work on, they are not. Anyone competent who can work on a Toyota or Honda engines can work on these. There is nothing that justifies the shocking labour rate that Lexus charge. It's not as if they are Lamborghini and have the workings similar to that of the Space Shuttle! If you can afford it then go for it by all means but I'm just letting you know that you do have alternatives.

No cracks, nothing of obvious concern, all lights work and, as you say, condensation clears up once lights have been on for a bit. Reduced rate of £85 for labour as car is over 7 years old. Yeah, that does still seem high. As I mentioned, I do have a mechanic I trust, but I suppose I wanted the Lexus stamp in the service book and a feeling that because I've paid more, it must've been done propley. I know it doesn't! ?! But still.

Post a pic of your list of things that need doing. When I got mine back all they said I needed was a new rear light cluster (cracked) £154. Got 2 from IanS200 for £70. And 1 interior bulb and my 3 aux belts needed replacing! I was well happy seeing as I was expecting a lot more considering the age and mileage of my car :)

With regards to the NSR Lower Rose Hint. I'm assuming that is the Lower Control Arm Bushing (Rose Joint). I'd say it was a case of the Service Advisor not being able to read the Technicians notes.

This is it:

37H125.jpg

Lexus do not sell the bush, with them you have to buy the entire hub and that's where the immense cost comes in. Here's where we are smarter than Lexus. Buy the bush and any decent mechanic can replace the bush without too much drama and a fraction of the cost.

Check out this write up: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/595492-diy-rear-axle-carrier-knuckle-bushing-replacement.html

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-ARM-WHEEL-HUB-KNUCKLE-BUSH-LEXUS-GS300-430-IS200-300-ALTEZZA-ARISTO-CROWN-/300841891764?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460b92f7b4&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-HUB-BUSHES-LEXUS-GS300-IS200-99-LS-400-89-00-/190584255772?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5fb4f51c&clk_rvr_id=446320519461&afsrc=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-STUB-AXEL-BUSH-IS200-ALTEZZA-/120732936776?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1c3e6a48&clk_rvr_id=446323709642&afsrc=1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links