Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 2000 ls400, on start up and when i put my foot on the gas i can hear a slight rattle coming from the right side front like underneath the drivers door ish. Could it be exhaust slightly lose, or a bracket etc? I dont think that part of the exhaust is blowing. But if it is blowing, is it an expensive fix?

Thanks in advance

It's usually one of the exhaust heat shields they are everywhere along the system from the cat back, favourites are the 2 rear side pieces just in front of the rear wheel arches and the ones above the rear boxes which fall onto them.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

The sound from mine is coming from drivers side front. I hope it is heat shield. If that front bit is blowing slightly, do you think that will be expensive to replace?

Anyone breaking an ls400, might need a cat

As Steve said, make sure you've checked the heat shields before you do anything else, such a common thing which always sounds worse than the actual problem is.

Yeah i will get it checked. It does sound rattle type of sound. I took it to one mechanic today, and without even putting it on the ramp he told me to rev it, so i did and he said it sounds like its blowing

Yeah i will get it checked. It does sound rattle type of sound. I took it to one mechanic today, and without even putting it on the ramp he told me to rev it, so i did and he said it sounds like its blowing

Again, it's a common issue blowing at the flange, and unless it's corroded too much it's usually repairable

Steve is right. The MOT threw an advisory because one the rear heat-shields had come completely off and was resting on top of the silencer box. The other one was loose and ready to come off also. Once repaired the rattling stopped. By the way, my LS 400 has done 226,400 miles, so not unexpected.

Well i found out what it is. It the right hand side y pipe. I caught abit of it on a stupid ramp, and lipped a tiny bit. But it looks like ill have to buy a whole y pipe as i cant get that one piece separate

Any ideas who it was that had it repaired?

I had mine repaired just recently, a section cut out and a new piece welded in, an excellent job (which I must try to get a better photo of) If the guy down here did it you must surely be able to find someone in your part of the country who can do the same. I was only charged £50.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links