Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Good Evening People

Well my ls430 seems to have expired and no-one can get the air suspension working, so today I bought a 2009 RX400h (coil springs :) )

It's a bit of a gamble in that it's done 67k miles so I have bought the full 2 year lexus warranty

I have spent several evenings on the various forums and have concluded that despite my experiences with the LS430 and to some extent the GS300 before it, most people have good reliability experiences with Lexus. Today I test drove a jaguar XF 3.0d and a BMW 730D. The Jag is a stunningly gorgeous car but is boingy and it's engine isn;t a patch on the BMW's which was simply stunning. If I can't get away with the tall Lexus 4wd, I will definitely be buying a BMW 730D, but currently the reliability issues of the BMW are also putting me off.

By the way - I was considering a RX450H but after 2 test drives, I much preferred the 400H. The 450H always started in petrol mode and its start up was a noisy affair. The 400H usually set off in electric mode, and when the engine cut in, it was imperceptible. And the ride quality of the sprung 400H was infinitely better than either the sprung 450 or the airsuspension model. (Plus there was an £11k saving)

.... so I will probably be leaving the LS forum and reappearing on the this forum quite regularly.

Mike

Welcome to RX400h world!

Two things to be aware of, one the alloys on the RX400h aren't great, they can suffer from corrosion and secondly I'm not sure what warranty you have purchased but it may not be as good as you think. Certainly the Lexus warranty for pre-owned 5 year old cars is not run by Lexus but by another company and it does not cover everything that a Lexus new car warranty does...

However generally reliability is good so enjoy.

hmmmm .... I double checked with the sales manager that the extra year I have purchased will give me exactly the same level of cover as the first 12 months Lexus approved car warranty and he said yes definitely. (by the way as far as I can tell neither warranty is underwritten by Lexus but I now can't find the webpage that indicated that).

I have just found some wording that shows that the approved car warranty whether 1st year or subsequent seems to have a £2000 parts replacement limit. That could be insufficient if it was a major problem.

Mike

Yeah I know about the alloys - I've had two previous Lexi and wife has had two celicas. When they get bad we just put them in for the day at Romag in Stockton £200 for all four wheels including removal and refitting - and they stay pristine for a month or two :whistling:

Mike

Steve - my guess is that your PM may have been removed as was my post in the LS forum where I was offering some bits and pieces for sale. The errors of my ways have been pointed out to me - and yes I must renew my Gold membership.

In the meantime Steve, just hang on a few days as we are not entirely sure whether the LS is dead or can be given the kiss of life.

By the way what is members experience of the reaction when you quote gold club membership to the parts or service manager at the dealerships?

Mike

"By the way what is members experience of the reaction when you quote gold club membership to the parts or service manager at the dealerships?"

Mike

Guildford Lexus don't do Gold Club discounts so I was told last month. However they will haggle over total cost. No complaints as I found the cost of the 60,000 mile service including all materials

[inc new spark plugs ] and free use of a brand new 450h until service was finished was barely £600. Driving my 120K+ mileage 400h after its 60K service it felt as good [coil suspension better imho] as the brand new 450h.

BJ :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links