Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mechanic Doesn't No What's Knocking.. Surely U Guys Do;)

Evoredis

Had a mechanic look at my car the other day as there's a knock coming from front passenger side.. Driving any speed over even little bumps causes a nasty knock. Thought it was a ball joint as they seem to be common problems but Wasnt a ball joint or top mount or anything the mechanic could figure out? I remember seeing something about shot calipers or discs making a knock. Could they be the problem? Any help would be great before it causes more damage.

Thanks

Yep, my mechanic gave all suspension parts a once over and was embarrassed to tell me he didn't no what it was! That's why my attention has turned elsewhere like the calipers an discs

Had the same knocking sound but not anymore after fitting new shocks, springs & drop-links. Definitely nothing to do with the brakes in my case.

I'd start with replacing the drop-links since they're pretty cheap.

2 new drop links were done on the front as I thought that was the problem but still have a knock.. Aswel as the knock I've a creak or clank from the same area when I'm reversing and turning the wheel.. Any ideas if they could be the same thing gone wrong or?

Iv got same thing when reversing and turning mostly at full lock it knocks and when I brake it clunks and clicks and also going forward and turning apply brake it creaks. However I just replace bottom ball joints less than a month ago but I checked them today and they have alot of play in already :s

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have same problem on my car with the clonking, creaking and knocking noise. I had the following done ball joints, the drop links and track rod ends, which fixed some of the problems. But the clonking was due to brake pads, as these were moving in the caliper. My car did not have any brake shims which have been put in, but he also mechanic also stripped the brakes down cleaned up all the area behind the disc, regreased the caliper pins, and packed the lower control arm bush with grease and that has stopped the creaking and clonking. However I still have the knocking noise on the driverside. As my mechanic advised there is nothing wrong my car for its age and the mileage I do it comes down to how much money you want to spend.

The only thing that's not been checked are the suspension top mounts. I have no idea on how to check if these need to be changed or what the affect is on the car if these are worn and need changing. Any advise appreciated. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Had a mechanic look at my car the other day as there's a knock coming from front passenger side.. Driving any speed over even little bumps causes a nasty knock. Thought it was a ball joint as they seem to be common problems but Wasnt a ball joint or top mount or anything the mechanic could figure out? I remember seeing something about shot calipers or discs making a knock. Could they be the problem? Any help would be great before it causes more damage.

Thanks

Shock absorber is the problem.

Ive had this and sorted it ,take off caliper,remove pistons as theyre possibly coroded.Use a tyre inflator on to nipple if theyre stuck,once removed wet and dry pistons and check rubbers and clips.Then clean up caliper pins ,grease up with lithium NOT copper grease and put everything back.I did this 18 months ago and theyre still fine hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links