Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Next niggle in the long list so far. My GS300 Sport Mk 2 is quite noisy when cruising on the motorway.

This is a big shame as the car is totally silent when stopped at lights (can't even hear the engine).

I know it's the 18" wheels and low profile tyres that are causing it - as it's road noise that's the problem.

Short of swapping the wheels for 17" (and getting the 18" ones back when I come to sell it) are there any alternatives ?

Which tyres are the quietist ?

Are all tyre sizes the same for a wheel (ie can I get thicker tyres on the same size alloys ?)

My tyres are Pirelli Assymetrico 245/40 ZR18 97Y.

I don't mind loss of grip I want whisper quiet ride on the motorway.

hmmm. no offence mate.. but it seems to me you shouldn't of bought the sport model?

Perhaps there are better tyres you could get for a quieter ride? I think theres a comparison table somewhere on the GOLD forums..

Have to agree should have gone for se as the sports suspension and large tyres is not to everyones taste .I have just done 1200 miles in a week in my mk1 and the only thing to fault it on is lack of lumber support for my back, it has it but it is crap got to be the worst car i have had for my back.I find the ride a bit fidgity on uneven roads it seems to skip if you hit a small bump going around corners.other than that the car behaved brilliently loved dartmoor some wicked roads recomend them to anyone .Did 99mph all the way home last night and the only noise was the sqeeking of the leather :D

Hi Gary

I Have the Pirelli's on my sport and they are not that noisy believe me! I have had far worse on some others motors. They are very large tyres and are bound to generate road noise.

I have heard that the best tyres for lack of noise are Dunlops.

I do think it's the lack of mechanical noise in the Lexus that makes tyre and wind noise more noticable.

Didn't you take this out for a good test drive before you parted with your cash?

When I bought my first GS300SE the dealer actually told me they rode the best on the orginal 16" rims, but they looked appalling on them!

Costly business changing your tyres before they need it though.

I would never say SO-3s are quite. They are a performance tyre and therefore comprimise comfort and noise. There are worse tyres for noise but I regretted putting them on my GS. They were great on my Supra but I wasn't too concerned about noise then.

I have been looking for the best tyre to put on my 430 once the rubbish Bridgestone RE030s have worn. The Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z are getting great reviews but don't seem available in the UK, I may have to import them from the US.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...el=Turanza+LS-Z

When I bought my first GS300SE the dealer actually told me they rode the best on the orginal 16" rims, but they looked appalling on them!

My old GS300 had the 16" wheels. I must say that the GS430 handles and rides much better with the 17" wheels but that may be suspension modifications rather than the tyres. Road noise is worse but that's due to the RE030s compared to the 16" OEM Yokos. Noise is about the same compared with the 16" SO-3s.

Colin

I have a Mk1 sport running on 245-40-18's Hancook Ventus 104's at 36psi.

Granted the tyres are only 3/4's of the cost of more expensive tyres but they are quiet and perform well in the dry and the wet

As far as wind noise is concerned, I get very little wind or tyre noise for that matter from my Mk1 at varying speeds up to 110mph. I guess it is slightly more aerodynamic that the Mk2.

If I were you I would trade it for a late low mileage Mk1 and fit sat nav with the cash saved.

I suppose I am biased because I like prefer the style of the Mk1 to the Mk2, just wish it had space to retro fit sat nav etc.

Keith

Keith, I think the MKI is a great car and I also like the look of the MKI sport better than the MKII. However having driven both that is the only thing I feel is better. They are completly different cars. The MKII is much smoother, very quite, less wind noise, better on fuel and a nicer interior. Plus they didn't do a 4.3 MKI :P

Its like comparing the ride of a standerd golf to that of the GTI .It is called the sport for a reason ,it is lowered and sits on 18"s making the ride harsher and noisier .Garyc i am sure in time you will get used to it and when it is due for new tyres give another brand a go mine is on pirrelis they have worn out very quicly but i find they give low road noise .cost a packet though £180 each .

HOpe you are gonna stick with it GaryC. It sounds like you bought the wrong car to me.

Can I ask why you you chose a sport over an SE?

The Pimpnosis mobile runs on 17s now and they are no louder or harsher than the 16s. I know I'm a little biased as I changed them over but the noise and ride of mine soundsl lke its truck loads better. maybe its just horses for course..

:zee:

I've changed from Potenzas on the stock 17's to Mille Miglia Action 19's with TOYO Proxes and the ride is as quiet and with advanced road holding.......sooooo I've 4 pretty much as good as new wheels and tyres if you are interested.....will give you excellent price as they are sat in my porch!!!!!

Dave

L33EXY

I know it's the 18" wheels and low profile tyres that are causing it - as it's road noise that's the problem.

Short of swapping the wheels for 17" (and getting the 18" ones back when I come to sell it) are there any alternatives ?

Which tyres are the quietist ?

Are all tyre sizes the same for a wheel (ie can I get thicker tyres on the same size alloys ?)

My tyres are Pirelli Assymetrico 245/40 ZR18 97Y.

I don't mind loss of grip I want whisper quiet ride on the motorway.

i run 18" sp dunlops

they run almost silently

and are quieter than the 17" potenzas as originally fitted

Thanks for the help. I've dropped the pressures to 32 all round and it's a lot better.

It'd difficult buying a car at the best of times but due to timings and distance to Sheffield it meant I test drove the car much less than I should have. With hindsight I probably would have bought an SE and had a spoiler put on it but I liked the look of the one I've got.

It's encouraging that there are a few posts mentioning quieter tyres than my Pirellis and one which said the 18" tyres are quieter than 17".

One more quick quessy. If I dropped the psi to say 30 would that be disasterous for the tyres ? (the minimum it states is 32).

I have noticed a big difference in comfort dropping them from 35 to 32.

I don't mind losing a little bit of life on the tyres and loss of mpg.

It's surely better than trading the car in or swapping for smaller alloys (daft idea I know).

One more quick quessy. If I dropped the psi to say 30 would that be disasterous for the tyres ? (the minimum it states is 32).

I have noticed a big difference in comfort dropping them from 35 to 32.

I don't mind losing a little bit of life on the tyres and loss of mpg.

It's surely better than trading the car in or swapping for smaller alloys (daft idea I know).

Try it mate!

Let us know. you might actually get better grip... more tyre on the road..etc...

would have thought you would be safe with anything down to about 20psi. 29 will be fine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links