Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rusting

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the IS200 isn't galvanised, certainly not all over. Mine is 7 months old (16k miles) and it's chipped to hell.

The bonnet in particular as you would expect, but also the wings, a huge chip on the A post and the drivers door!

Several of the bonnet chips have gone through to the metal and are rusting, so is the one on the A post.

I've never had a car with paint as fragile as this. It's the one thing I hate about the car (well I'd like more go, but that's another story!!)

I have a friend with a car bodyshop.

Whenever the local lexus dealer get a used car in, they send it down to him to get the front blown over before they put it on the forecourt.

Interestingly, they use him rather than their 'approved' lexus repairer ...

They clearly know (as i do) he does a far better job.

Bummer is i need my front bumper repainting due to flaking lacquer and bad chipping, but because it's a warranty job, they insist it'll have to be done by the dodgy 'approved' repairer.

You may be interested to know that being an 'approved' repairer has more to do with whether you offer 24hr recovery than the quality of work you produce !!

L8r all

Tony Goose

Is it my imagination or do all my posts seem to have a cynical tone to them :)

Hey everyone, just found a similar thread on is300.net: http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t...3297023&forum=1" target="_blank"> http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t...3297023&forum=1

There was some debate about what the members of is300.net wanted from Lexus USA, if we're to approach Lexus GB over this I think we should just push for them to acknowledge that this is a problem. People are constantly saying Lexus dealers have never heard of a problem with the paint, I think we need to spell it out to them that there is a problem and then let them make an offer as to what to do about it. Denial is always the first sign of something bad ;)

Some good stuff on IS300.net - especially some of those letters. They seem to be taking a group stance and following up with Lexus US as a united front.

Maybe this is something we should be considering? Not sure how everyone feels about this - or if you guys feel as cheated as I do. I'm happy to work on this and co-ordinate and represent us if we decide to take this route.

I would appreciate everyones thoughts here... they can't get away with fobbing us off... :mad:

one of you needs to establish themselves as a owners spokesman and make your complaint in a orderly fashion.. ie send a letter with the list of complaining owners.

The more professional it is approached the more professional reply.

my 2 pence worth :D

Good Luck guys

Have you done anything about it Lexicon? Like contacting your dealer or Lexus GB? And if so, any progress?

In a word, no!

I suspect that (like others) they will say that they are not responsible for paint chips - I am.

I'm going to try touching them up myself (I shall pick an unobtrusive one first) and see how it goes.

I'll be due for my 20k service in a couple of months so, if I'm not happy with the results, I'll take it up with them then.

Let me give you my contibution to this debate:

First and at the end of it it ALL comes down to $$$ !

Expect Lexus to put up a fight because giving in to your demands, even if they are justified, will mean that they have to reemburse a lot of corrosion complaints. Not only in UK but on all markets. And that could cost them big bucks.

It's David against Goliath. Goliath has all the fancy lawyers and has it's corrosion policy on it's side. They only really have to reemburse you as a gesture of good-will.

If you don't get your claim settled, which I think you are entitled to, then I think there is one last chance. Your best weapon is publicity. Contacting a big nation wide car magazine or newspaper and let them make a story about it could make Goliath weak in his knees and change policy. So tell them you will go public with this, if nothing else works. Again it all comes down to $$$. And bad publicity for Lexus is almost unheard of. They live on customer satisfaction.

Anyhow, the IS200 /300 is completely galvanized all but the roof. But filling in the chips ASAP will help. If the anti-rust paint is broken and rust starts to form then it's hard to stop.

I have personally not had any problemes with rust. I do have some chips on the hood but nu rust yet. I also feel the paint is unusually chip prone. It's a little disappointing.

Anyhow, the IS200 /300 is completely galvanized all but the roof. But filling in the chips ASAP will help. If the anti-rust paint is broken and rust starts to form then it's hard to stop.

Well I'm not convinced that it's galvanised - I haven't seen anything in any literature to say so and on the evidence of rust on my car, I have to assume it's not.

Galvanising is not a paint type process, so I'm not sure what you mean by anti-rust paint?

[Edited on 29-4-2002 by lexicon]

Tried to edit this into the above post but it didn't work so;

I'm not unduly concerned about the rust. It's only a problem with some of the chips. What bothers me more is the sheer number of chips - more than any other car I've owned :(

Hi Lexicon !

In fact the Lexus IS is galvanized completely except the roof. I have it in a Lexus IS200 fact sheet at home in paper form. If you really need me to prove it...I can fax it to you.

Anyhow by anti-rust paint I was meaning the base paint layer (white or light grey) which is underneath the top layer. I was a little unclear, of course there is no such thing as anti-rust paint. But if the top paint layer is broken and the bottom layer is intact then rust can be prevented by filling in the place where it chipped. If the bottom layer is broken too and you see the metal plate then your in trouble if you don't act fast.

Keeping a distance to trucks, lorrys and other cars and driving gently on gravel roads does help though.

OK - quick update. Have received two emails from Lexus Customer Relations thus far. Both with nothing of any use WHAT SO EVER.... :rolleyes:

Have responded today with a further email - but not too harsh or extensive as they did quote "endevour to respond with a comprehensive solution this week."

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm........ 4 days left.... I'm not holding my breath...... :rolleyes:

i think we should do as the .net members have edit the letter to yourt own details and send it of to your respective Lexus HQ.........

nothing will happen,but it will make them aware,and when they say that they have heard of no problem .........we all know there lying,

i will send a letter.....whois in

Yep - totally agree Mat. I said the same thing earlier. Count me in for sure - and if you need help, give me a shout. I know Emrul was going to use my email as a template.

The more the merrier I say....

Anyhow by anti-rust paint I was meaning the base paint layer (white or light grey) which is underneath the top layer. I was a little unclear, of course there is no such thing as anti-rust paint. But if the top paint layer is broken and the bottom layer is intact then rust can be prevented by filling in the place where it chipped. If the bottom layer is broken too and you see the metal plate then your in trouble if you don't act fast.

Yeah, the ones that are rusting have gone through the primer to the metal. There are lots more that have just taken the top coat off - they're OK apart from looking naff.

I still wouldn't expect rust to form on a supposedly galvanised part though ??

I'm not one for rallying round gravel tracks - not when I bought the car with my own hard-earned!! None the less, it has many more chips than my previous (company owned) Vectra :(

MAJOR UPDATE...

Have just recieved a call from my dealer. Lexus GB have been in contact with them and they seem to have had a servere telling off... :yes:

The bodyshop manager (who I know very well) was sympathetic and has asked me to book the car in with them to get the bonnet looked at and work done. He did say that stone chips will NOT be covered under warranty (hhhmmmm), but that the bubbling will be.

Lets see where we go from here, I'll keep you all posted... strange Lexus GB haven't contacted me directly huh? :rolleyes:

I've got several stone chips on my bonnet but no rust thank *** !

I think the paint chips quite easily these days.My Impreza Turbo was only 2 days old when the bonnet was chipped,stuck out like a sore thumb on a silver car.

Perhaps it's because the paint used nowadays is waterbased and is not as strong as the old lead based paints ! :mad:

still rusts though... mine doesnt rust and it has hundreds of chips bx even a big chip where someone threw a big stone... and still no rust a year later

I had a close look at my car today after reading this topic and found to my big disapointment a lot of stone chops.

2 or 3 on the bonnet and 3 in the front of the roof. The ones on the bonnet have no rust but you can clearly see the "anti-rust-paint".

The ones on the roof had started rusted :(

But the rust was not the most alarming about this, the most alarming about this was the bubbling around theese damages. Looks like if it wont get fixed it will be ALOT bigger in a little while.

I´m going to get a service done on the car next week and will raise this problem when the staff then. Let´s hope they can work something out, atlest about the bubles. I can understand if the warantie can take care of stone chips since you get this with "normal" driving.

I had an audi a4 before my lexus and it was pretty much covered with stone chips allover the bonnet and roof but NO bubling and the paint looked like it was much stronger than the paint on the lexus. Pretty sad for such a big car company that seems to be so concerned about quality.

(once again sorry for my bad english, i was pretty upset when writing this)

I got a one chip on the roof too. But I filled it in right away with the original color. You can buy a nail polish size bottle from your dealer with a small brush inside and put a dab of paint in the chip.

Remember the roof is not galvanized like Audi. So it can rust there.

Originally posted by Leexus

Damn! After checking my car I've found a new chip. I was very surprised cause it is

ON THE ROOF?! I don't know how the hell I got a chip on my roof!??!:?::?:

stones fall from quite a distance when traveeling.. they get flicked up high before landing on your roof

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links