Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ebc Turbo Grooved And Spotted Discs

Loz

Since I uprated the brakes on the GS to the above spec, I have found they feel, through the pedal a bit like you can feel the grooves in the disc. if I brake hard continuously the more I brake the greater the vibration through the pedal but also through the whole car. I know they are a performance mod but should they upset the ride that much?

I wondered if it was because the anti-rattle springs are not replaced when the EBC pads are fitted. could it be the pads are moving in the caliper?

If not, what to chuff could it be?

:crying:

I can feel the grooves when i apply the brake on my is200 too and also driving with the window open sounds almost like when you used to make your bike sound like a motorbike by sticking a piece of card to rub on the spokes!!!

I dont get a judder that goes thru the whole car tho and with hard braking its just as with the original pads and discs

We have stopped selling EBC discs for some models because of this problem.

Fargo had a noise problem on his is200 without even braking, which was cured by fitting DBA discs which are a better quality casting anyway.

any known cure other than DBA discs?

DO you know where the noise/vibes are coming from?

:question:

yep i had the noise just driving and not braking, when i did brake,, noise noise noise.

But having the discs swopped out with the DBA, and keeping the EBC pads my problem was solved, now i only get a slight slight and very slight noise (have to listen for it) when i brake, but i understand this is quiet normal with slotted type brakes.

Before i upgraded the brakes i also had a rat ta tat type noise fromthe fronts as i braked and especially whilst turning. this was tracked doen to the brakes moving in the calipers, this was solved with a dolop of copperslip..

my problem is the brake fade that happens under heavy braking with them 

Wasn't that the whole point in upgrading from the standard ones? You don't get any decrease in stopping distance as the stock ones can give enough force to lock the wheels. Do you get improved feel with them?

Sounds like the very first mod on my GS was a bad un....

Mark,

I'd be Grateful if you'd PM me what the deal is with my current kit. Its not going to go any further than me but I would like to know seeing as my life and my passengers lives are counting on those brakes on a daily basis.

Si Skippy,

The rattling while turning I get as well. when did you apply the copperslip? and did you have put anti rattle shims back on despite the box saying not to?

Cheers,

Loz :zee:

Funny, I thought everyone on here approved of the EBC Brake upgrade. I can't have asked loud enough... Own stupid fault as usual. Still, nothing that cant be fixed.

Wonder if skiming them down on a lath would help.

Hey Loz, if you bought them from a decent vendor they should be able to help you out.

I'll help you if I can but I don't want to tread on any toes, and the money you paid to them includes technical backup and service. They should be your 1st port of call.

I AM NOT SORRY TO SAY

I TOLD YOU SO

i did mention these very problems with EBC many moons ago.

i did also mention that in my eyes the factory brakes were more than enough upto the job............

:whistling:

Had the same prob with the factory ones that's why I changed - have found a solution to the problem though so it will be all sorted soon

Had the same prob with the factory ones that's why I changed - have found a solution to the problem though so it will be all sorted soon

Care to share the solution?

Mark,

can you pm me what you have alluded to. Agreed the vendors will get a call but if I know more about the problem I am better armed to get a solution. As I said any informationed gleaned from a club source will be unatributable as far as I am concerned. I'd just like to know what is going on down at the stopping department of my lurvely car...

Mattoo C,

You never told me, mate! If you had I am pretty sure I would have listened to you. Always have done, always will do.

Fargo,

Like you, I had problems with my standard kit which needed replacing anyway it seemed. when I got them off they looked fine but the vibes I have had from them... :shutit: Well, I'll let harty tell you about it as he drove through it at its worst...

to be continued...

Loz, ok didnt i personally tell you, but then again you never asked........

the post where i viewed my opinions most is HERE

However to save you reading through it i will quote myself

Posted: Apr 24 2003, 11:14 PM

i did have a set of ebc on my rover..managed to warp them within 3 weeks

i only upgraded to STOP TECH's because of the engine upgrades, otherwise id have stuck with the factory kit........which incidently is actually better than the race set up around town....

unless your approaching the lights at 60mph..eh zee

my personal view on the EBC is if you wants pretty lines and minimul dust get them..otherwise stick with what is undoubtly a bloomin good brake system as standerd

Posted: Apr 25 2003, 04:19 PM

EBC discs are matched to EBC pads, the pads contain a high % of carbon/kevelar, which generates less brake dust, but which is harder than standerd pads.

the trade of is the pads wear harder, reducing disc life, and generating more heat, the pads will be slightly more noisy and can cause disc warpage easier

and can in some situations require some heating first thing in the morning

the EBC set up on my last car, was better, but did suffer from the faults above.

i find it hard to belive the EBC set up can really better the std set up on the is200 considering the same set up is used on the GS300/430 which are heavier cars and technically more powerfull

Posted: Apr 27 2003, 12:49 PM

well my opinion is fact i had them fitted, i also had to have the discs and pads replaced after only a few weeks because they had warped the discs.

heat is the trade of when braking, but if the pad is not made to withstand that heat range, then the surface will become heated glaze and braking effort will become less effective

i am not disputing the merits of EBC products, only that, other than the dust problem, i in my opinion belive the standerd set up is as good if not better.

as i pointed out in a previous post i have used EBC products before and although they were OK, they were not fantastic

and it is indeed the brake pad that stops a car, the disc is fixed to the hub and moves in relation to it, the interface is the pad, the wrong pad or no pads will not stop the car.

there are many technical factors that decide the difference between good and bad brakes, pads and discs are only 2 or the factors

theres more, but i cannot find it at the mo

I must admit, that I do remember Mat saying about the performance of the EBC's which is what put me off getting some.

I thought mine had got really better (they aren't as bad as what they were though!) but it appears it was the footware giving me the impression of better pedal feel. Back in trainers its not so nice! :lol: cheap mod to sort out then eh!

If I am back at dealers then may mention again, but my next service comes up after the warrenty runs out so will have to wait and see. If they all run out then I like the look of the balck diamond discs, but dunno how good they are. Will prob. just plump for the originals and get new all over! (and renew fluid!)

I never go over 60 mate..........  :whistling:

You get there quick enough though pal, well when I drive it anyway :ph34r:

Never had fade on mine... but then I have felt like the Star Ship Challenger approaching re-entry when braking from 155mph down to 60mph and then 60 down to 0. but I was hauling up pretty quick!

track time, obviously...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links