Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Outcome Of My Speeding Offences

This may be long so if you are bored feel free to read on!

Firstly, I’d like to say there is never an excuse for speeding and i accept that and any consequences that follow as a result.

As some of you know, the day I collected my ISF (last November) I managed to also collect 2 speeding tickets while driving home from Suffolk to Chelmsford. The last (and only time) i had a ticked was for doing 34 in a 30 when i was 18 so 12 years ago!

Speeding fine 1:
Anywho, when on the way home as soon as i hit the motorway i decided to see what power the car had and was clocked by a mobile police officer doing 104MPH in a 70 on a dual carriage way. I can honestly say i was doing no/little more than that during this ‘test’ and either way i was still speeding. My thought process was;
- It’s a dry sunny day
- There is little/no traffic on the dual carrige way
- I have just bought a power wagon
- Let’s see how it flys!
- Accept any consequences

The consequence of this action could have been VERY severe. Unspecified fine (means tested), points and potential loss of my licence for up to 56 days (i believe that is the number of days). Any offence over 100MPH means a court appearance. I investigated using a lawyer and established i was looking at £1000-£1500 fee for a lawyer. After much research/advice i determined that given my circumstances it would be best to plead guilty by post. I had a clean licence, it was a clear and dry day, no/little traffic, dual carrige way (not near school etc) and i was in a newer, quieter more powerful car. This all worked in my favour. I ended up with a 14 day ban and £630 fine. I count myself VERY luck to receive these penalties, It will only impact my insurance premiums when i renew and i maintain a clean licence points wise.

Speeding fine 2:
On the same day and slightly earlier i was clocked by a static camera doing 50MPH in a 40MPH zone. I actually had time to slam on the brakes but was not sure who was behind me so instead of potentially causing an accident i accepted my fate! I was offered the speed awareness course and took it. The price was £91 and no points on my licence.

Overall i am VERY lucky to have a licence with no points on it and maybe even to have a licence at all. The speed awareness course did refresh my memory in some areas and teach me some things as well. The braking time from 30MPH to 40MPH is the difference in missing a pedestrian and killing them! At 35MPG you would most likely hit them and potentially cripple them!!!

What’s the point of this post??? If you like to speed then do so BUT be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions and consider the impact on others. Just wanted to share my last 6 months with you folk.

Stu

• Like 1

Nice share.

All should read stuff like this to make them think twice.

I'd like to send a copy to the stupid arse, in a Renault 5 Sport, who keeps overtaking all and sundry at ridiculous speed at the most inappropriate points (yep even approaching a LH bend) and no thought for others (particularly cyclists), on the back roads to work every day. I became so irritated by him I have all his details logged down.....but I doubt the police would give a care.

They wont do anything unless you have evidence.

Sadly there are a lot of folk like that. When ever i go on group rideouts there is one or two doing this and i am amazed they are still alive! More than anything its selfish as the person coming the oposite way aslo has to deal with any consequences.

That's good news for you Stu but I can't help feeling a little peeved.

I've been caught for speeding twice also. But I have 6 points on my licence which has LED to my insurance sky rocketing from £44 per month to £107!

First time was 75mph in a 50mph dual carriageway. I hadn't realised the speed limit had decreased from 70 to 50 and it was on a Sunday evening and I was literally the only car around and I didn't even realise I was speeding. I mean I'd crept 5mph over what I thought the speed limit was but hey ho, £60 fine and 3 points.

I also then got caught doing 72mph again on a 50mph dual carriageway. I knew I was speeding and I was speeding deliberately. I was trying to get to the hospital where my father had suffered a heart attack, as because as far as I knew at that point it might be the last chance I had to see him.

When I appealed, stating the reasons and circumstances it still fell on deaf ears and £60 fine and 3 points.

But you got off with a very short ban after being caught at 100mph+ that then had no further implications such as increasing your insurance because you had 0 points and then you get to go on one of them speed courses for another offence again seeing you get scot free with points??

Now lucky you Stu, but something seems wrong with the system to me that you get off after being caught at 100mph+ (save for a 2 week ban) I would rather have received a two week ban on both occasions and not receive penalty points as the extra cost of the insurance is now leading me to contemplate selling my IS300 for a 1.1 litre shopping trolley!!

I highly recommend the free Waze app available on iPhones and I believe Android phones. I use it for my route guidance and it warns me of speed cameras and police up ahead with a voice prompt if it thinks I'm going a bit over the posted speed limit.

I can understand that chap. not sure how long ago you got your fines but now, if the areas subscribes and your speeding is within the defined thresholds you get offered speed awareness course. If you commit a similar offence within 5 years you get automatic 3 points and a fine.

As for the 104 MPH outcome. I was advised that where they can offer a ban over points that is proffered due to how easy it is to collect points these days and so lose your licence. As such, unless you need your car for work a ban is chosen in favour of points. Also, to clarify (where i was not very clear) my premiums will go up at renewal due to the ban. My Car premium will go from 450 to approximately £550-£600 so there is a longer term financial impact until i don’t have to declare the ban which is 5 years.

• Like 1

I was a Driving instructor for 20 years and used to help run
speed awareness courses, I have been out of the instructor game for 8 years now
but I believe they no longer offer them.

Or do you mean witch they can get the most money out off?

I again believe the speed awareness course fees did not go to
the police, I never under stood it , you either deserve the points or not, you
should not just be able to buy them for £91.

My dad got a ticket through the post a couple of years ago
for doing 36 down a long steep hill, the photo clearly shows his brake lights
on, they tried to convince him to go on the speed awareness course, he was 84
at the time, been driving for 68 years without ever having an accident or even
a parking ticket, what the hell were they going to teach him, just a money
making con, he turned them down and took the points witch have now been removed
due to time elapse.

Absolutely a money making scheme. Whole mix of folk in the course. There are SO many strategically placed cameras all sorts of people get snapped.

Selling them as being placed at accident hot spots as 'Safety Cameras' went out the window a long time ago. Pretty sure it is widely known they are money making machines.

I asked if they are calibrated to +10% leniency and was simply told if you are over the limit you are over the limit. i was just trying to get the answer to a myth.

My understanding is the temp speed cameras in roadworks when working are set to the signed limit with no buffer, ordinary cameras usually have the 10%+2mph rule applied (although this can vary depending upon if the local area has a "purge" on).

I believe the 10%+2mph is in the ACPO guidelines.

You had a good outcome Stu......on balance :whistling:

In all honesty I find nowadays even though I have TT and the latest lifetime updates from PGPS I tend to just pootle along at the limit, there is so much traffic eveywhere it makes no difference to speed to get anywhere, helps an awful lot with the fuel consumption as well.... :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links