Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Catastrophic Loss Of Power Steering Fluid

Hi guys, just got back from a short run and had to pop into Halfords to get some ps fluid to top up the reservoir, noticed when I got back home a pool of pa fluid under where the car stood. Seems to be coming out from under the front bumper area, leaking along the pipes just above there.

Any ideas ??

Thanks.

Malc

ps ......... 160k miles now and everything else is fine ..... noticed a slight drop in fluid level just before my trip to Spain and topped up about a half inch ..... then absolutely fine until today !!

Malc

As Rupert mentions the usual cause is the U shaped PS cooler pipe located between the bumper and radiator,they are located in quite an exposed area so tend to corrode then rust through.

Several members have made a replacement using small bore copper piping but I have one if you want to replace with OEM (send me a PM if interested)

If you need to use the car before replacing the cooler you can remove the 2 rubber hoses from the cooler (left hand side) then connect the 2 hoses together with a small piece of suitabe size pipe using new jubilee clips effectively bypassing the broken part.

Don't run the engine with low fluid it may damage the pump.

The picture below shows the connection end of the cooler with the 2 rubber pipes,look straight down below the driver's side horn unit, you may have to remove the big black plastic air intake to gain access.

post-12144-0-18737300-1400441161_thumb.j

Thank you guys ................ what size diameter copper pipe is appropriate do you think ??

Thanks.

I'm useless at doing much these days ............. but I know a man who does ( hopes ) :outforcount:

Malc

Construction details are on post number 6

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/69654-power-steering-leakbut-not-from-usual-place/

The good spare I have ( cleaned up and painted with Hammerite) is on the post below.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/51589-mk1-ls400-power-steering-cooler/

Thank you so much guys ...... just phoned my plumber and he's told me where to get the 8mm plumbers micro bore pipe and he has a pipe bender so we'll sort the issue out tomorrow.

Thank you.

You're stars !!!

Malc

ok guys, looks as tho' I need 125cms of 10mm copper tube and two new clips. each length is about 60cms and the bend another 5cms across at the end.

Looking at finding a plumbers merchant to find 10mm copper tube seems nigh impossible ! 8mm is the micro bore used these days.

Malc

Malc hi , this is what I used for mine . I only used 1metre so it is a little bit shorter but has been doing the job ok for a while now .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Tube-Cu-10mm-x-1000mm-Diameter-x-Length-/220727640070?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3364648006

I only used 1metre so it is a little bit shorter but has been doing the job ok for a while now ,the guy dropped it off to me on his way home .I have had stuff posted from them before it took a couple of days ,they have an outlet on Sittingbourne Euro link estate if you don't want to wait that long .

Good luck with it.

Rupert thanks, HPS Plumbers ( opposite Asda Sittingbourne ) stock it and will sell me 1.5 mtrs ok. So I'm off there now !

Thanks so much for your help.

Malc

seeing my plumber tonight to put the bend in the 10mm copper tube I have just bought ( off the roll ) .............. 1.25 mtrs ........ £3.11 incl vat :hehe: ......... not a bad result thus far eh !!

Malc

I don't understand how Lexus can charge £171.00 + VAT for the original pipe made from steel that rusts away in time.

If you can take the old one off then take it to your plumber he should be able to bend it to exactly the same shape making it easier to fit the original mounting rubbers and brackets back.

Just looking at this problem with cleaner eyes and it seems as if the fluid is actually running down onto the rubber hoses which then connect to the usual corroding pipework ( bugger ). So i think its into the local garage for a review ... sad.

Let you know the final outcome as soon as.

Malc

Steve, I can't actually see the picture, is there another link ? maybe my computer just isn't man enuf these days !

Thanks.

Malc

Steve, I can't actually see the picture, is there another link ? maybe my computer just isn't man enuf these days !

Thanks.

Malc

I haven't been able to see ANY pictures for the last 5 days or so. Any feedback from other members?

Pepe

I can see it now ...........thanks Steve. I think it's maybe my internet provider is slow ......................a bit like me ( most days ).

Malc

I am enjoying this thread. It shows the LOC at its best.

Pepe

I agree the forum members here are always willing and happy to share their know how.

I think that anyone who owns a Lexus would benefit from being a member. William

Quick up-date ......... the Lexus is being trailered over to my mechanic later today ..... 50 miles away ..... for repair, annual service and a 6 week early MOT.

Thank you Steve for the exploded diagram, my guy says it will be helpful. I refer him to this site when things seem a bit awkward !

Thanks.

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links