Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mk2 Sport An Ugly Car ?

I drove to my girlfriend's house on the way back from the snapped aerial disaster and on my way out to the car some kids on bikes shouted "nice car". I replied "Cheers a lot". They then asked how much I'd paid for it and I replied "Oh I can't tell you that".

One of the lads then said and this is no word of a lie "You must be a footballer with a car like that" !!!!! :D

I told them I play five-a-side in nets and that's the limit to my ability.

However for a short time I forgot about the snapped aerial incident !

PS. I never got comments like that about my BMW 5 series.

Hi Gary,

I can well believe it..... I've lost count of the amount of people who complimented my car (Mk2 300 Sport also).

My previous car 'GS300 SE' was class also and got many comments, but the sport is a real head-turner.

I'll miss mine when it goes! :angry: Still, needs must.

chatting to my mate in the shopping precinct.. said cheerio to my mate and drove off.. a guy walked up to him and said.. "Is that guy a drug dealer or somthing with a car like that"

BMW's are too common and you wont get the "nice car mate" comment.

well, I could trade the IS against a 99 GS300 Sport, and probably afford the repayments..

BUT

I wont be able to afford the insurance, (plus the fact, it wont fit in the garage, so add a couple of hundred on top of the doubling premium)

I really like my IS..

The running costs will go up significantly.. doubt if i could afford it..

Oh, and I am wanting to buy a house.. so really I should be sensible when it comes to cars :crybaby:

Life just isnt fair!! crybaby.gifcrybaby.gifcrybaby.gifcrybaby.gif

Mate!

the Running cost are not as bad as you think. the servicing cant be much more than yours. the insurance cant be that bad. you're over 25...

If I didn't have my (mildly modded, I confess) GS I would be hunting down a 430 with sport kit. thats a 2001- GS 430 SE with the body kit but not the revised suspenson that we loved so much.

and that black three hundred is almost tempting me out of my blue 'un!

:blink:

Well Loz, I've found a Black + Black '99 GS300 Sport with Sat Nav :D

Okay, it has nearly 80K on the clock..

So I'm waiting for the insurance quote... so if it's too high (and it probably will be), I'll let you know the details :winky:

If I was gonna buy a 300 I would buy DJ MIke's Car. cant imagine it drives worse than it looks. mileage does not scare me. mine has done 47000 miles in the year and 2 weeks I have had her. She is the dream!

Thats why she is still here. Since I have known you guys I have bought three other cars only on of which remains and its not turned a wheel in 3 months ( Range Rover V8)

I do lub the GS alot... now its got sexy blue tooth its even sexier!

:zee:

The insurance quote came back.. an extra 250.. (athough i specified the sport on my request, it wasnt confirmed.. may have to check that)...

So now I am really tempted!!! Damn!

So a question for you GS owners... what are the major services from 75K upwards? I know a cam belt's in there somewhere... and is it really going to be okay having a 4 year old car with that sort of mileage??

Looking forward to seeing your new car mate. As the cambelt and plugs will have been done at 63k!! ;)

SO you have no big bills till they are due again at 126k The car will go on forever mate. Didn't you get one because of the reliablity? Mine did a gruelling 46k in the last 383 days. Not skipped a beat! only thing outside of service has been a water pump at £150... I've never ben more impressed with a car. SO I look forward to seeing your new GS!!

Steve, I hate you, I really do.. :P

The insurance quote came back.. an extra 250.. (athough i specified the sport on my request, it wasnt confirmed.. may have to check that)...

So now I am really tempted!!! Damn!

So a question for you GS owners... what are the major services from 75K upwards? I know a cam belt's in there somewhere... and is it really going to be okay having a 4 year old car with that sort of mileage??

Depends on the age of the car.

From 2000, the GS needs a new cambelt every 100K, before that it's 63K

Go for it - you won't be disappointed. Mine's done nearly 150,000 miles without any problems.

abk.sized.jpg

Rodders,

What changed to extende the life of the cam belt by another 37k?? was it the belt its self or was it other components resulting in less wear?

I am just wondering if it was not the later it would suggest you could buy a new belt for a 99 model and not change it for 100k instead of the 63k quoted. don't imagine lexus would bother telling you about that though so do you know anything yourself about it?

Anyone else?

Your car looks spanking by the way! :D

What changed to extende the life of the cam belt by another 37k?? was it the belt its self or was it other components resulting in less wear?

The plugs are different which is why they go to 100K not 63K but I don't know about the belt, probably nothing. The service interval also changed from 9,000 to 10,000 miles. Every other manufacturer is extending the interval between services and so is Toyota.

It was the same in 1993/1994. The service schedule changed from 6,000 to 9,000 miles with nothing changing on the car. One month they need servicing at 6,000 and then the next month they can go another 3,000 miles.

In the US the cars have much shorter schedules but use the same parts.

One could get awfully crabby about the rip off factor. But seeing as I am a high mileage driver, If I am keeping a car (like the Lexus) I will go overboard on maintenance. But It should be noted that these people are taking the urine with the intervals and the scare tactics about cambelts. I'd rather have a slightly thirstier car and go back to chains! I understand that was why they changed them... too heavy for good economy. Ferrari have still got a 6000 mile schedule. Wonder if anyone has ever bought one new and just serviced it at home. 15000 mile oil changes... would be interesting to know.

:geek:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links