Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Afternoon All,

Recently started reading the forum as collecting a new (to me) RX400h tomorrow. First time of owning a hybrid so expecting it to take some getting used to. Shall miss the Jag S Type that I've had for the past 7 years but looking forward to trying something different.

Buying from a main dealer so need to make my mind up about extending the 12 month warranty which comes with it and maybe signing up for a three year service plan. Don't think I'll bother with the wheel and tyre insurance as I havn't had a serious puncture or kerbed an alloy for years - now I've said that I'll probably do both on the first day!

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy - very different beasts. My jag was the x150 XKR - super quick and very pretty to look at - had it for 4 years.

The Lexus Is just better built (almost everything in the jag had little issues) and after 88k miles it was reaching the point where future repairs was going to get very expensive.

I think the RX's look great and still pretty nippy for 2.5 tonnes of metal - it's got more toys and more comfort. Although it's not 4x4 in the Land Rover sense I'm still comforted by the fact that size and occasional AWD (I believe that's the correct term) are going to make this winter much less scary!!

We also have an Audi Q3 and the difference in the two is night and day / our Q3 is not top spec to be fair.

Enjoy your RX, the members here (all pretty much except me) are very knowledgeable.

Cheers

Matt.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Definitely get the lexus extended warranty. In first 12 months of ownership, I have had new tailgate lights fitted (£500+), rear caliper replaced (£350), air con leak fixed (£920) all under the warranty. Now entering month 13 of ownership, car needs a new water pump (£395) which will hopefully also be sorted under the warranty.

• Like 1

Afternoon All,

Recently started reading the forum as collecting a new (to me) RX400h tomorrow. First time of owning a hybrid so expecting it to take some getting used to. Shall miss the Jag S Type that I've had for the past 7 years but looking forward to trying something different.

Buying from a main dealer so need to make my mind up about extending the 12 month warranty which comes with it and maybe signing up for a three year service plan. Don't think I'll bother with the wheel and tyre insurance as I havn't had a serious puncture or kerbed an alloy for years - now I've said that I'll probably do both on the first day!

Cheers,

Andy

Congrats! Now that I look back on it, it didnt take me any time at all to get used to the hybrid. It just feels the same as a car with a normal engine. Never really noticed the CVT until it roared its head off during an overtake and that was awkward but i rather like it now compared to a traditional box- smooth, refined, relaxed and endless surge of power!

You wont need the alloy protection. The tyre profiles are quite large so its not a huge issue, not for me anyway. I kerbed one wheel but thats because it scraped against the kerb doing a full turn in the middle of a main road. Just make sure you park your car about half a foot from the kerb and do a full lock if you need to get onto the pavement

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.

Extended warranty is very much a question of personal choice, and is something that has been discussed extensively in this forum... just do a search. PErsonally, given that the car is very reliable, I do not think it is worth the money. Remember that, buying from a dealer, you will be covered for the first year. This should help iron out any fault you may find with the car.

On the other hand, I recommend the service plan. It is inflation proof, typically saves you 15% on your scheduled maintenance bills, and helps with budgeting.

@Tom... would be interested to hear if your warranty will cover the water pump. I would expect this to be a "wear and tear" item, and therefore not to be covered.

Welcome aboard.

Extended warranty is very much a question of personal choice, and is something that has been discussed extensively in this forum... just do a search. PErsonally, given that the car is very reliable, I do not think it is worth the money. Remember that, buying from a dealer, you will be covered for the first year. This should help iron out any fault you may find with the car.

On the other hand, I recommend the service plan. It is inflation proof, typically saves you 15% on your scheduled maintenance bills, and helps with budgeting.

@Tom... would be interested to hear if your warranty will cover the water pump. I would expect this to be a "wear and tear" item, and therefore not to be covered.

Called the dealership today to get it booked in, they confirmed the water pump will be replaced under the warranty.

Although it does seem like most people on the lexus forums don't seem to have too many problems with their cars, because the parts and labour are so expensive you only need for example a seized brake caliper and a little leak somewhere over the 24 months of cover and the warranty has more than paid for itself. So far I've had over £2000 worth of warranty repairs done, and still have another 11 months cover.

On the other hand, I don't think a single one of my claims would have been authorised by an after market warranty company, as they all were technically 'wear and tear.'

Morning All,

Thanks for the welcomes. Collected the RX400 (57 plate) yesterday afternoon and although havn't had chance to use or play with it much am very happy so far. Need to spend some time working out the sat nav and phone connectivity etc. but I'll get there eventually! I'll have to try and get a sat nav update disk but have read a post on here somewhere about buying them on e-bay from Germany which seems a better option than paying Lexus prices.

Leaning towards the additional warranty for peace of mind and will also do the service plan. Been offered a three year full service option (no MOTs but includes Battery chech I think) for about £33 a month or the two year "Essentials" one for about £25 a month which includes the MOTs but no Battery check.

Morning All,

Thanks for the welcomes. Collected the RX400 (57 plate) yesterday afternoon and although havn't had chance to use or play with it much am very happy so far. Need to spend some time working out the sat nav and phone connectivity etc. but I'll get there eventually! I'll have to try and get a sat nav update disk but have read a post on here somewhere about buying them on e-bay from Germany which seems a better option than paying Lexus prices.

Leaning towards the additional warranty for peace of mind and will also do the service plan. Been offered a three year full service option (no MOTs but includes battery chech I think) for about £33 a month or the two year "Essentials" one for about £25 a month which includes the MOTs but no battery check.

Congratulations on the new car purchase, I'm sure you'll like it.

Just a word about Essentials vs. regular servicing - the garage is not suppose to stamp the normal service book after an Essentials service, but instead start a new book. I'm not sure if this would have any impact on any warranty claims if you went for the 24 month warranty. Maybe someone else would know?

Personally I paid a bit extra to have a normal service done just to prevent any potential problem with the warranty. Not sure what bits of the service the garage misses on when they do the Essentials service, would be interested to find out if anyone knows.

• Like 1

Not sure what bits of the service the garage misses on when they do the Essentials service, would be interested to find out if anyone knows.

They miss non-essential items (hence the name I guess :) ). For example the interior pollen filter and they may use cheaper oil (but still within spec). They should be using genuine Toyota parts and performing all items listed on the service schedule. This is more than enough for third party warranties and probably a Lexus extended warranty but I'd want to get that confirmed before proceeding.

Really it isn't much different from other manufacturers offering cheaper servicing on older vehicles. Some Lexus dealers will just perform the normal service at a cheaper labour rate and give a discount on parts.

It is a way of maintaining revenue from older vehicles which otherwise would go to local garages or DIY. The cheaper extended Lexus warranty pricing does the same thing as that contains a clause stating that servicing must be carried out at an official Lexus dealership.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links