Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Is220D Power Loss Above 3000Rpm In Third Gear?

Hi guys,

I'm new to here. Recently purchased an IS220D (57 reg with 78K miles, full lexus service history)

The car has a power issue when it's under load. The turbo spools as it should at low revs, and in first and second gear, it generally carries on up the rev range and accelerates well, with a bit of light stuttering in second gear.

However in third gear, it gets to about 3000rpm then just goes flat, no power. It then sort of 'hits and misses' in spurts where it kinda goes, then doesn't. Basically, you can't get it above 3000 rpm in third.

I have cleaned the EGR valve (The valve, the pipe and the manifold were badly coked, but now seem to operate well and the valve seats and seals well, following a leak test I conducted!) and I have also cleaned the MAF. This hasn't fixed it though.

I plugged in the OBD2 and there are no stored codes. The car isn't giving me any errors or warnings at all.

The car drives lovely and smooth otherwise, no smoke whatsoever. No mixture of oil / coolant / etc

I am at a loss with what to try next; has anybody else experienced this before and can offer any pointers on what I could check or any other tests I could undertake to diagnose the cause?

Only thing I haven't cleaned is the O2 sensors. I guess there's a chance these could be coked up with carbon too, making it think the car is running too rich, and thus it cuts the fuel when I put the engine under load?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Richie.

Sounds like you have explored the logical steps.

You may be right in thinking of the sensors. I had a busted wire on one of my sensors when I had a 220d and it gave similar results to what you are getting. I had no errors or owt, but it ran crap at high revs. Soon as the wire break was traced it was sweet as a nut again.

Best of luck with your search.

• Like 1

Many thanks Normski, I'll check out the connectors.

I had a look on some of the Toyota forums earlier, and found a few other with the same issue on the avensis and auris.

One person claimed to fix it by running wynns turbo cleaner through the air inlet, and putting a dpf cleaner in the tank.

The other traced it to the fuel filter at 77k miles (they're scheduled for replacement every 40k by Lexus, but I'd personally replace every 20k anyway)

Seeing as this is relatively cheap to do all the above and service it. Nothing to lose.

A local motor engineer also suggested dpf blockage, in which case a good Italian tune up should clear it, 20 miles or so at 3500 rpm on the bypass apparently?

The DPF may well be a tad coked up. Depends on the driving characteristics of the previous owner.....but the fact that the EGR was clogged may indicate the car only did short runs.

A good blast down the m-way will help to burn some off for sure. I think Wynns do a DPF cleaner additive, may be worth a punt.

These diesels do need a good blow from time to time to promote the regeneration of the DPF.

• Like 1

A local motor engineer also suggested dpf blockage, in which case a good Italian tune up should clear it, 20 miles or so at 3500 rpm on the bypass apparently?

You shouldn't need to run that fast, not that you would be able to anyway if you cannot get above 3,000 rpm. A 20 minute run on the motorway should do it, but keep it out of 6th gear so the engine does run at a slightly higher speed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just thought I'd bring you up to speed. I've kept the car off the road whilst I investigate and fix it. Planning on putting it back on the road on 1st February. In the mean time, I have changed oil, and the air, oil and fuel filters. The air filter looks as though it's never been changed from New? It's as black as a smokers lungs. Yet I have a full service history from Lexus Glasgow - do they routinely change these filters? I actually think it might have been the cause of the issues.

Also, what a git of a job the fuel filter is to change, never want to do that again!!!

post-52321-0-01029100-1422225932_thumb.j

Looks like someone ran a hose from the exhaust to the air intake ..

I wish I'd taken a picture of the air box before I cleaned it out, it was full of grass, sand, dust, dirt etc. There's definitely no link from air box to the exhaust, but I'd agree it looks like that!!

If i'm not mistaken Lexus have pretty large mileage gaps for changing the air filter. Ridiculously large I feel.

Had the same when I had a 220d it was filthy after a full service. Took it back and complained to be shown the schedule that said it was not due for changing for another 10,000 mls!!!

My argument...well surely someone should at least look - it only takes 2 minutes to uncover. They replaced it FOC when they saw it!! It was just like yours.

If i'm not mistaken Lexus have pretty large mileage gaps for changing the air filter. Ridiculously large I feel.

Had the same when I had a 220d it was filthy after a full service. Took it back and complained to be shown the schedule that said it was not due for changing for another 10,000 mls!!!

My argument...well surely someone should at least look - it only takes 2 minutes to uncover. They replaced it FOC when they saw it!! It was just like yours.

That's amazing normski, I mean the air filter costs about £7 (for a decent quality one such as crossland that I used) and can be changed in less than sixty seconds. It begs the question, what exactly does their service schedule consist of? For what Lexus charge their customers for a service, it's unbelievable that they would miss off such a simple yet critical component. This is why I don't trust 'full service histories' and give more kudos to owner serviced, or independent serviced cars. Yet perversely, residual car values are greater when accompanied by a FLSH.

I can't test it properly until first Feb, but I'm 90% sure this was the cause of my issues.

I would urge any 220d owners to check their air filters , if their car has been serviced by Lexus OR they are suffering poor performance and mpg as I was. See if it's an issue!

Yep, I keep an eye on mine ( in my 250 now)...and the cabin filter too.

Change them as necessary and put a dated label on the casing...so the techs can see I've done it and don't try billing me for one!!

They charge silly rates for these filters.

TBH it applies to any car really. Air filters are dead easy to do.

It lists the replacement for an engine air filter in the service schedule as every 15k miles (doesn't mention a time period though)

The condition of that filter is ridiculous especially considering its had a service by Lexus - have a look to see if you have been billed for the replacement when it was in...

Like you say, its all the more reason for you to do the services yourself as they are quite easy to do if you have the time and space to do them. you will know whats gone into the car and that the work has also been done.

Its shocking, but I'm not surprised your filters like that.

I made the assumption my car's coolant had been replaced at its 100,000 mile service, only to be told it hadn't because the previous owner said he didn't want it replaced. Not sure what surprised me more, the customer not wanting it done, or Lexus not making it a mandatory part of the 100k service.

I agree, I Debated to myself whether I should continue with the Lexus service history as it had a full one. but glad I never paid £300 for them not to do half the job

I think it depends more on what you intend to do with the car.

If you plan to keep it longterm, I wouldn't worry about maintaining the Lexus history, just find a good independant. If you intend to keep it short term and want to be able to sell it easily, then full service history is important (with any additional work carried out by an a good independant).

Whatever you decide to do, a second opinion is always good, when getting any additional work done.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done.

That air filter is a disgrace, but sadly, not a surprise.

Mind you, I've had reason to use a Peugeot main dealer, since buying a new campervan last year.

Incompetent doesn't cover it, I'd forgotten how useless big garages can be.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links