Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

6 Weeks Of Ownership....

twotone

...and I had my first tail slide this morning!

Driving gently through the estate I live in, down a slight decline slowed to look left and right it was clear so foot gently back on the gas to turn left start into a slight incline and WAHEY! out goes the tail....steered into it and straighten it up.

The road was slippy under foot this morning and I'm just glad I wasn't on a main road doing a higher speed.

Afterwards I pressed the snow button and crawled to work the rest of the way.

It was fun thinking of it now but also lucky it happened then and not out on the busy main road.

Everytime I go out in bad weather I always remember Colin Barber posting to me about rear wheel drive..."Don't be an idiot in the wet"....Colin could you please post and tell me the same but regards icey roads :D

I've got 3-4mm on my rear tyres...is this adequate for icey conditions or dangerous :question:

Might go to the nearest grit bin this evening and throw some grit down on that area tonight.

Cheers.

I've got 3-4mm on my rear tyres...is this adequate for icey conditions or dangerous :question:

To be honest, in icy conditions, I dont think the depth of tread isnt as important as it is in wet weather.

The key points is to take it easy, be smooth with the controls, and always think ahead, so if approaching a junction, start slowing down much sooner, let the engine slow the car, using the gears, and only use the brakes when required (that way, minimising the chance of sliding out of control).

If you hit ice then tread depth will not help, you need studs which we don't get in the UK. Hopefully the main roads are gritted, just be careful on side roads. The worst thing is losing the front end to understeer when you try and go round the corner and the car just goes straight on.

As Fidgits has said be smooth with all the controls. A quick turn of the wheel or stab of the throttle will see you sliding into something.

'SNOW' mode will smooth out your throttle, making it less responsive. It will also increase the sensitivity of the traction control.

Wallace,

I bombarded the council last winter about getting a grit bin where I lived because the gritter used to stop just before the lethal mini roundabout outside where I lived. Then I moved out in the summer and in September they delivered one.....no good to me I don't live there anymore.

So I gave my new neighbour the email addresss of the guy that deals with the grit bins/trucks and last week a grit bin arrived just up the road. So I've been out gritting the road where I nearly went this morning! Of course I then checked the weather(should of done it first) on ceefax and its says we'll have rain over England and Wales tonight :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links