Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time To Be Honest Again...

djanderso

Do you wait until the last minute to cut in during heavy traffic?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wait until the last minute to cut in during heavy traffic?

• Yes, always
    • No, Never
    • If I'm in a real hurry

Have a look at this guys:

http://www.iam.org.uk/Pressroom/News_Relea...ive/nr0115.html

The Institute of Advanced Motorists recommends using all available lanes until the restriction.

To quote "In our view, the sensible advice for all lane merging situations is that drivers should reduce their speed and increase the gap between themselves and the vehicle in front. All available lanes should be used right up to where the lane closure begins and vehicles should merge in turn - one from the left, one from the right, and so on."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would rather hit your car than let you in

Me too.

Hey c'mon guys....this is what causes road rage. :angry:

Look at the situation logically. You would get miles of tail backs if all lanes are not used when there is a lane merge. There is absolutely no point in everyone lining up in one lane with the other lane totally empty.....how dumb is that? :blink:

Read the link in Ricky's post above.

an extract from it:

In our view, the sensible advice for all lane merging situations is that drivers should reduce their speed and increase the gap between themselves and the vehicle in front. All available lanes should be used right up to where the lane closure begins and vehicles should merge in turn - one from the left, one from the right, and so on.

Another very good point which you guys should take note..... :angry:

Some drivers seem to think that vehicles merging from a blocked or closed lane are jumping the queue. This brings out the 'I'm first, you're next' attitude in them, which affects safety and adds to the congestion and frustration levels. Some lorry drivers deliberately straddle the two lanes, thus preventing car drivers from using the empty lane - an unhelpful and stupid manoeuvre

Sometimes I do it by accident (ie your somewhere you don't really know, there's two lanes, you don't know ones for turning left/right only until the last minute)

Sometimes you can do it if you see a lorry up ahead and think he'll be slow pulling off, there'll be a gap to sneak into.

Vast majority of the time tho I sit and wait like most other people although it does make your blood boil occasionally

Well i can see your point but there is no way i am going to sit in traffic for ages only for someone else to come up the outside lane and push in front of me .lets be honest if you are in a line of traffic and you see someone comming down the outside do you think "oh look someone needs to get in i will leave a gap big enough to let him in and here comes another must let him in as well " were do you stop and if everyone came down the outside lanes surely this is creating a bottle neck as people have to brake to let people in .seems to me it creates a stop start movement were as if everyone joined the inside lane further back the traffic would flow more easily .Some lorry drivers deliberately straddle the two lanes, thus preventing car drivers from using the empty lane - an unhelpful and stupid manoeuvre .the lorrys do this because they are the ones the queue jumpers target as they much slower to pull away can you imagine every time the traffic moves some one jumps in front of you must get pretty fustrating .

Well i can see your point but there is no way i am going to sit in traffic for ages only for someone else to come up the outside lane and push in front of me .lets be honest if you are in a line of traffic and you see someone comming down the outside do you think "oh look someone needs to get in i will leave a gap big enough to let him in and here comes another must let him in as well " were do you stop and if everyone came down the outside lanes surely this is creating a bottle neck as people have to brake to let people in .seems to me it creates a stop start movement were as if everyone joined the inside lane further back the traffic would flow more easily .

.....but you'll get a long line of traffic queuing.

The trick is slow your speed and merge in sensibly one by one, and you'll never get the stop start happening . The only reason you get stop start is because people are speeding up trying to close the gap so no one can 'push' in.

You shouldn't look at this situation selfishly, end of the day we all want to get home safely.

But if everyone joined the slow lane further back why would there be a queue its the people who leave it to the last minute that cause the jam because people have to brake to let them in.and sorry but how can it be me who is looking at it selfishly i am the one that joins the queue and waits not the one who shoots down the outside lane expecting to go first.mind you i think certain people will always have a different veiw on this it comes with the i must be first mentality

OK - I voted "All the Time".

sorry guys, but I cannot believe you think that getting into the inside lane at the earliest opportunity reduces congestion.

On most motorways, you get 800m of warning of lane closure.

Pulling over into the inside lane immediately just wastes 800m of motorway - or 1600m if its two lanes closed.

You could get twice as much traffic into those lanes.

The only way to drive in these conditions and minimise congestion is to;

1 - use all the available motorway

2 - allow other drivers to get in front of you.

if everyone did this, the whole lane closure thing would be so much easier.

Can I ask all the folks who get over straightaway, what do you do in a supermarket?

Do you pick the busiest checkout with the longest queue, and patiently wait your turn, all the time cursing the people with enough sense to use the empty checkouts, thus getting served before you?

To those people who refuse to let anyone in.

Why not? Whats the big deal?

It puts what - a whole 2 seconds on your trip?

Is that such a big deal?

To those people who actually block the other lanes.

WTF?

sorry - but who the :tsktsk: put you in charge of the road?

Personally - I use as much of the empty road as possible, politely move across (using indicators and everything!).

Then - and this is the important bit - I let other people in as well!

foot off the accelerator, let a gap open up, quick blip-blip of the lights to let the guy in front know he's OK to go - back up to speed.

Repeat as often as necessary.

You should try it - its utterrly painless, I promise you ;)

I can see your point in moving traffic but what if traffic is at a standstill and every time you look in your mirror someone pulls out of the slow lane and accelerates down to the end of the queue .In moving traffic i can see the point in using all lanes but when traffic stops i personaly feel that the people comming to join the jam should join it as soon as poss .as for the checkout question every queue has some one at the end to serve you so they are realy seperate queues if you want to compare i would have to say what would you do if there was one checkout open and some walks to the front of the queue in front of you bet you would not wave them in would you .also if there is one lane of stationary traffic say 800m ,three lanes would have the same distance of traffic it would just be spread out over the three lanes the only difference is them three lanes are all trying to get into one lane were as one lane of stationary traffic might be longer in a sense but its not bottlenecked at the end and there is no stop start to let others in.

I voted for never.

I just filter when there is a gap, and let people in as and when...

To be honest, arnt we all just trying to get somewhere? I mean, you dont get wound up if your walking on the street and someone walks past you on the road, and then steps back onto the pavement do you?

Good points, well made by Matt McNally. ;)

;)

I remember having this debate a few months back and both Matt and I had the same argument and we were fighting our view point against everyone else...lol

yeah - I remember that one mate - looks like we have a bit more support this time!

B) :D

we didn't have people admitting to blocking the other lanes though - really can't believe that!

Yes, Matthew/Ifraz, you'll have support of the Dutch government (my prevous post). The "I'm not letting you in" crowd or the lane-blocking people would get a ticket over here when caught.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I give up :D .i have been converted no, more queues for me straight to the front every time, i have learnt the error of my ways ,i will always be first from now on, middle lane here i come :lol:.

don't forget to do it properly mate - its not just about straight to the front - the important bit is letting other people in.

Lose the typical British 'its not fair I've been queuing longer than him" attittude, and just let other people slip in front of you.

If only everyone would see the light!

:lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links