Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Speed Camera Detetors

Fargo

So inlight of a few Snoopers being sold here over the last 2 months, i was thinking of getting myself hooked up with a speed camera detector, But alas which one, Snooper, Geodesey, Origin.

What are the benefits over one from another. you guys that have them, what can you tell me.

Do you want a Radar detector or a GPS camera detector?

I had a snooper 815 and was very unhappy with it, it gave false alarms all the time driving around towns and gave very little warning of Gatso's.

I now have a Road Angel which is much better, never gives false alarms and plenty of notice of camera's. I've seen the Origin B2 and I'd definately look at that if I was buying one now.

Radar or GPS.. hadnt given that one thought..

The detector would need to pick up all the fixed and mobile detectors, plus the digital ones and the new SPECS jobbie....

I guess that GPS works with a predefined map of the camera network, so how would it detect mobile units.

Colin whats Bel,, is that a manufacture.

I guess that GPS works with a predefined map of the camera network, so how would it detect mobile units.

Most have Laser attachments, and some have Radar too.

My Road Angel won't pick up mobile Gatso's unless its a registered location. It will pick up the laser camera's. The problem with laser though is that as soon as it warns you you've probably already been done.

I have a Bel Vector 966r for 2 years now. Don't know about now, but back then it was the best by far (and fairly expensive). But - I went down from 25 (small ;) ) fines a year to 0!. It has really long range detection, I can only say it warns so early that you don't even have to brake. Just let go of the accelerator.

The only drawback of its sensitivity is the many false alarms in urban areas (radar operated gates/doors). You'll soon hear the difference, though. A false alarm doesn't increase the beep-frequency when you're getting nearer, a live speed-trap does. You'll have plenty of yards left to tell the difference.

As it seems, these babies will be outlawed beginning of next year. :crybaby: So 2 more weeks of relaxed driving left for me.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

It used to be that *receiving* radio signals was the freedom of gathering of information that kept it legal. Only the radar-jamming devices were illegal. Still, legislators are trying to *receiving* detectors for some years now. Next year it may actually happen. Now it is still in the courts, and these are the controversies:

- The ban rests on the assumption that it makes traffic safer. No research supports that conclusion, it is based on so-called "borrelpraat" (pub-talk). There is other research that states that people with radar-detectors drive more safely. They don't have their eyes on the speedo instead of the road and don't brake like madmen when suddenly a camera is seen somewhere.

- Why ban radar-detectors if other information sources remain legal, we have several; Radio announcements and RDS (Listeners can call-in the speed-checkpoints at the radio station), GPS systems, warning flashes of oncoming traffic etc..

So in the end, the real motivation is probably the effectivity of these detectors, in generating less revenue for the treasury. Our country is strewn with Gatsos and Multanova mobile radars, and the Bel Vector I have has been sold very well in spite of its price.

So we'll see.... One more advantage is that the police can't see I actually have a radardetector as it is hidden behind the front bumper, and has a small slide-detachable display unit hidden behind the ashtray. So I'll probably keep driving with it, and should I get pulled over I'll put it in my pocket. The cops aren't allowed to search me.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

thats interesting,, there was a court case over here that basically concluded that the radar transmission was not communicating a 'message' and therefore equipment designed to detect the presence of the transmission could not decode any such message.

just goes to show, its all about the money, not safety

there was a court case over here that basically concluded that the radar transmission was not communicating a 'message' and therefore equipment designed to detect the presence of the transmission could not decode any such message.

It's only because there were using the wireless act of ??? to stop radar detectors which didn't really fit with this type of device. If they want to ban them the government will bring out a new law.

So i think ive narrowed it downto 3

Bel966r

Originb2

RoadAngel

in fact i think its gona have to be the Originb2.. it seems to be the most comprehensive of the lot heres a comparison table it come with laser detector and soon an optionla radar detector for 100 extra, making it the best value GPS,Laser, Radar detector around..approx 550 quid.

Ehhh, just when I said I'd been without a ticket for 2 years.. I get one in the mail today :blush:

My Bel hadn't warned me, because I speeded through an intersection with a red-light camera that also measures speed during the green cycle... with induction loops in the tarmac. I did 59kph where 50 was allowed, guess I was gunning it to make it before the lights turned red.

I guess I deserve it... another 28 euros well spent :crybaby: .

RX-Men-8

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links