Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera Detetors

Fargo

don't mean to be a smarty pants or such - but before spending extra money on laser detection, you should really read up on the difference between the speed of light and the speed of sound :geek:

surely, if this detects a laser - you have been done before the sound can be emitted?

smarty pants... :P

This is the laser test of the OriginB2 review on http://ukspeedtraps.co.uk

basically don't speed if you don't have a car in front!

Laser Alert from the Laser module

The laser alert module works very well, its not prone to false alarms from ANPR and Trafficmaster. We conducted a quick test for the laser module to make sure it performed.

The Laser gun was used in two ways, the first test was directly at the car with the detector in it, although the detector worked and was instant on alarm, if the officer used the first reading you were in trouble. However they often take a few readings so you may have a chance to slow. The second test was to have two cars in front and the operator target the first car and see if there was enough scatter for the third car to get an alarm, it was not a problem for the b2 Laser module we had an alarm in all three runs.

In our opinion you could get a warning or you could get nicked when it came to the Laser alert mode, its a 50/50 chance if you get a warning in time.

I have an orgin Blue i B1 ( the first one) and I disagree with the comments about them and the B2's. Mine failed 3 times and had to be repaired under warranty. They are expensive to buy and you have to pay an anual subscription (£50.00) to use them.

I have been in contact with Origin customer service since August , however they never return emails unless you chase them and even then you wait months for an answer (eventually got an answer begining of December). So very poor customer service.......... :angry:

I know of lots of owners (via another forum) who are on the 2nd or 3rd B2 device due to poor quality of the new product.

So I am not a fan and will be selling it on eBay soon. :P

However I do have a Speed Camera GPS device which I feel is far better and that's a Compaq ipaq using TomTom Sat nav and checkpoint software.

This gives me a full Satnav system (Visual and Audio), and because you can download for free from the net thousands of POI (Points of interest) this keeps it right up to date, it makes CD and DVD system seen very silly and expensive.

The checkpoint software is programable to give advance warnings for any POI's, and all speed cameras are on a database on the net to download for free. So once you have downloaded the Speed cameras data base the chechpoint software is set up to give me 30sec and 10 sec warning of the camera. It does this by visual and audio alerts. i.e "Speed carmera in thirty seconds"

I also have listed all BP and Shell petrol stations and set these up with the checkpoint SW, so I get a warning of approaching stations so that I can top up with Opitma if needed. If out with my kids and they say that they would like a KFC, the Ipaq will tell me where the nearest ones are, I can then select one and the Satnav will direct me there...... :D OR MD's BK's etc etc they are all listed. :D

The Tomtom software is around a £100 or cheaper if you look into the darker areas of the net ;)

The ipaqs and small GPS aerials can be purchased on the net at resonable costs SH.

I also have a laser radar detector which is crap as in my view all such devices are, why because you as soon as the alarm goes of its got you (unless its scatter from somebody else). Much better to have a jammer in that way you have some protection, not something that tells you you have been nicked.

I do know that radar detectors can give advanced warnings of gatso's etc but in practice it's usually very poor and with a GPS device and jammer you are pretty well protected. :D

Don't mean to upset any Origin Blue or Radar detector owners, but just like to add this alternative view based on my own experiences. :D

lexussport :

The checkpoint software is programable to give advance warnings for any POI's, and all speed cameras are on a database on the net to download for free.

Have you had any problems with the accuracy of the database - one of the 'selling points' touted by origin & other manufacturers is the quality of their databases compared to others. ie have you found any missed POI's etc.

I'm going down the ipaq / tomtom route after xmas.

• 7 months later...

I've got an Origin Blue i.

Was replaced twice (display packed in both times, went doolally).

Display then failed AGAIN, out of warranty. Luckily the display module is a standard type (pretty much any LED-backlit 16x4 character display module will do the job) so I was able to replace it myself.

(tip: if you can only obtain 6 o'clock display modules, to make a 12 o'clock display you usually only need to unclip the bezel, rotate the LCD panel 180 degrees, then refit the bezel)

Also, the "finders fee" appears to be bull. I found six NEW cameras the first night I took it out, updated it just before and just after. Cameras only appeared in the database about a fortnight later. Also found another four or five cameras since then.

So that's 10 or 11 cameras found at £50 per camera "finders fee", that's... £0!

What are the chances of that then, eh?

The Snooper SLD920 though, now THAT's been a worthwhile investment :D

i've got a snooper s4 neo - GPS based with laser - £100 subs for updates for a period of 30 months & providing you continue with subs, you get 5 yrs warranty (all parts & labour) on it FOC (was 2 years).

you can buy the additional radar detector for about £100 off eBay & i got my unit off eBay too for a bargain price of £275. rrp about £360-380 i think.

no probs at all with it & you can modify the settings to your own taste so it doesn't get on your nerves too much!

main reason i went for the snooper over the B2 was that the B2 was hardwired & snooper is 2 secs flat plug & go job - so much easier for use in other car. (don't know if any set up/fitting info changed since as i haven't looked, had the snooper since this May).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links