Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nos Vs Turbo Vs S/c

Fargo

basically..

nitrous adds the most stress at a given time...its fairly instant

Turbo..is fairly linear in its power increase, but there is a point it comes on song

supercharger....very linear, is producing power instantly

so taking the above info, a supercharger creates less stress, and a shot of gas produces the greatest stress on an engine....

however if you wanna see the pro/con arguments.....look at the link

is300gte, is seeing the simple facts,and using simple physics to show it. That conrad guy is trying to simplify his argument with compound physics...and getting some of his theorys all foooked up

So reading that thread (and Mat's explination above)...

The change in pressure is what causes the most stress on an engine...

the way to predict the stress is the 'curve' developed by the different methods...

Nitrous has the most 'sudden' increase in power (and hence a sharper curve), so causes the most stress on the block...

and so on...

Is this right?

yes......

see it as a nail and different size hammers

small hammer(s/c)....knocks nail in nicely

lump hammer(turbo)...knocks nail in....possibly bends it

sledge hammer(nitrous)...nail will go in no problem, but the shock could well bend the nail :D

its a stupid comparison......but it could be discussed all day long

but what you have to take into account, regardless of what power system is used( turbo,sc etc) is power/time and yield points - its the yield point of the weakest component in the component chain that is important.

but what you have to take into account, regardless of what power system is used( turbo,sc etc) is power/time and yield points - its the yield point of the weakest component in the component chain that is important.

exactly what was said in the thread,, but what i think that Conrad was missing was the fact that nitrous has the quickext and more intense 'bang' on the engine..

Just to put into another example of what the Conrad guy said, I'll give a hypothetical example of the three (somewhat realistically for IS300):

- supposing they have to deliver 300bhp ath the crankshaft,

- and that the compressor has to be belt-driven with 50bhp,

- and that the turbo needs to be driven by 40bhp by the pressure of its own exhaust-gas (this is not "free" power that would otherwise go to waste, the engine has to aspirate the turbo).

- Hence, the nitrous driven engine would be under load of 300bhp, no subtractions by parasitic losses

- the turbo-engine would be under load of 340bhp, at the crancshaft 300bhp remain

- the s/c engine would be running internally at 350bhp, leaving only 300bhp at the crank.

I think he is right if you have got the car on the dyno under controlled circumstances, running at a constant load and speed. In real life, the engine also has to deal with the sudden peaks in torque which can be tricky with a nitruous fed engine. This can kill the engine sooner (unless it it prone to overheating due to the higher internal power, then that'll kill it). Mat's point exactly. I think it is all in the control of the nitrous, how dangerous it actually is.

Just my 2 cents...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links