Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

N95

Got myself an N95 the other week - absolutely fab phone! Had the N70 and was let down by its performance big time.

This smartphone is much much better and the features on it are cracking!

In my opinion, if you're looking for a good phone that will satisfy your requirements in this techy world, this is the phone currently for you (until it gets superceeded!).

Wireless Communications (meaning I can access the Internet through my wireless router)

5mp Camera with Carl Zeiss lense

Two way slidey MP3 player

I won't bother listing everything as it can all be found on the Nokia website, but I have to say it blows both my Nokia N70 and Sony K800i out of the water!

Oh yes, I got it in the sleek aubergine colour as well :)

nokian95.jpg

Nokia_N95.jpg

Jamie

I got one about 2 weeks ago as a free up-grade and it's been great. The video quality is amazing for a phone and the big screen will be an improvement on the 3230 for TomTom when I get it sorted out.

It has rebooted a couple of times but so far has been pretty stable on the OS, all in all lovin it :D

I believe there are some restrictions of the sat nav software though... can anyone help me with this please?

The sat nav won't give voice directions without paying Nokia for a licence.

The 5MP camera is very good.

Had mine for 3 months now, had to have it replaced as it kept locking, only after sending a message then sliding it closed, it would lock on the Keypad Locked screen. Remove Battery and it would be fine for a few days :(

New one is all better now :)

The built-in GPS also won't currently work with Tom Tom which is a shame, so you still have to buy a seperate GPS reciever. Hopefully the next version of Tom Tom can fix this issue.

Well done on the phone Jamie....;)

I believe there are some restrictions of the sat nav software though... can anyone help me with this please?

The sat nav won't give voice directions without paying Nokia for a licence.

Have you got that sorted as well?

I'm sure there must be a way (crack) to bypass that!

Anees, how do you mean they aren't compatible? Do you mean the phone's hardware with TomTom software?

Cheers btw ;)

Jamie

I have a SE P990i, and find it far superior, with a touchscreen for almost everything.. including writing txt by recognition.. a full qwerty keyboard, Wifi, etc

However, I have access to an N95 at work, and have installed Tomtom, and use a BT satnav receiver...

This works very well, and as the maps are permanently on the memory card, you will save money on downloading maps everytime you use it.. which is what happens with the built in system..

I have also installed the speed camera database, and celeb voices...

Son in law has one as well.. so he also has the satnav by tomtom now..

John

Guy sitting next to me at work at the moment has an Iphone. I've no idea where it came from, but it's an unlocked one as he's been playing with both a Virgin and a Vodafone SIM in it. Have to say I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be, as the touchscreen can indeed be used one-handed for texting etc (if a touch clumsily).

If only it had 3G...

Guy sitting next to me at work at the moment has an iPhone. I've no idea where it came from, but it's an unlocked one as he's been playing with both a Virgin and a Vodafone SIM in it. Have to say I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be, as the touchscreen can indeed be used one-handed for texting etc (if a touch clumsily).

If only it had 3G...

ive had one for a month or so now and am chiffed with it :whistling:

Have you got that sorted as well?

Nope but there are alleged cracks out there, ATM the N95 uses the SiRF II chipset which is slower and less accurate than the SiRF III used in my TT BT reciever. So TomTom all the way there anyway. I have tried the N95 "Map" and it is less detailed and no where as good as TT.

However, I have access to an N95 at work, and have installed Tomtom, and use a BT satnav receiver...

This works very well, and as the maps are permanently on the memory card, you will save money on downloading maps everytime you use it.. which is what happens with the built in system..

You can download the maps free from Nokia to your PC and install direct to the memory card. You can switch off the automatic download to the phone so no cost there. The only cost is for the "voice" licence which at £60 for 3 years is not bad really.

You can download the maps free from Nokia to your PC and install direct to the memory card. You can switch off the automatic download to the phone so no cost there. The only cost is for the "voice" licence which at £60 for 3 years is not bad really.

Don't suppose you have the URL for downloading the maps, read it on the website but couldn't find anywhere to d/l from :(

Don't suppose you have the URL for downloading the maps, read it on the website but couldn't find anywhere to d/l from :(

Download the "Map Loader" from HERE, then plug the phone in via USB, open the app and it should go from there.

Download the "Map Loader" from HERE, then plug the phone in via USB, open the app and it should go from there.

Cheers for that Mr Mac :)

Used it today in and around Birmingham, no problems picking up the satelittes, and the routing I have to say was a lot better than some of the routes tomtom sends you :)

Don't really need the voice navi bit as I never use it on the tomtom anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an E90, which is basically an N95 in the "communicator" casing (any of you remember the 9210, 9300, 9500?)

I also cant seem to get my sat nav to "help" me find my way, but it does locate me on the maps, and plan routes and even show route in list form and map form

to actually navigate, it wants me to purchase!!

any way at all around it? surely you dont pay extra for the "voice-nav" on any regular sat nav!

I found that using map loader meant having to download the entire Europe map, which is a hell of a file, so for now, I just stood in my front garden, with Maps on, the gps found my location, and the map was downloaded thru WLAN at no cost, and local maps were only a few MB, i'll wait until i've got quite a journey before I download the full maps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links