Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning. Hoping for some guidance.

I am looking to join the LS430 fold, I viewed a lovely 2005 which seemed like a lovely car, I have just a couple of concerns:

Although the book is stamped up, there is no corresponding receipts, so I have no idea what was carried out during the services.

The first 3 were done by Lexus, the last 3 by an independent.

Car hasn't been services for 3 years, however, it's only done 9k during this time, but it's due one now, obviously (although there was no maintenance light on).

Can someone indicate roughly how much a 60k service should cost from an independent? (Just been looking at the service schedule, and it appears that the 60k one is more involved, but I would want a more thorough one done anyway for peace of mind).

Also, the car had been sitting for a couple of weeks... after checking all the electronic toys worked the Battery was too weak to start the engine - needed a jump - is this normal (appreciate there's a lot of electrical gubbings happening).

Any guidance would be really greatly appreciated :)

............., you'll be very brave buying this car without a service for 3 years ......... it's well documented on here about the pitfalls ... and huge benefits ... of buying a Ls430, especially a 10 year old car.

I wouldn't worry too much about the initial servicing schedules tbh as you really need to start over again. :zorro: . and you'll probably need a replacement Lexus Battery !

Suggest you check the last 3/4 years MOTs and Advisories ( you can do this on-line with the right reference numbers etc from the owner and logbook ) and only buy it with a new full MOT from a garage you're happy with too in the circumstances.

then go get an estimate for a full Lexus service and then a comparative from an independent.

At least then you'll have some idea what you're letting yourself in for

Unless of course you have intimate knowledge of the car and it's owners for the last few years which i suspect isn't going to be the case.

BUT you should buy it if the price is right and the cost of getting it good and proper on the road makes it a bargain ..........

you will never experience a better ride etc than in an Ls

Malc

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Irrespective of the present mileage I understand the cam belt replacement on the LS430 is 100,000 or 10 years whichever comes 1st so this would be now due based on age.

Lexus dealers tend to offer fixed price deals on the belt but also bear in mind this is generally just for the belt and would not include other items recommended to be changed at the same time like the idlers,tensioner and water pump.

With the car having covered such a low mileage in the last 3 years other problems may arise with sticking brake calipers and if left outdoors rust issues so check everything carefully.

If you would like us to comment further feel free to post up a link if available of the car in question.

THANK YOU so much everyone for your help and the great info here.

I should've mentioned that It had an MOT a month ago which showed no advisories.

I had a look around the car as much as possible for rust, hinges, underneath as far as I could see, and I really couldn't see any sign of rust. It seemed to drive well, gearbox, engine, and brakes felt very good to my untrained eye, although this was the first LS I have driven I have nothing compare with, but it was a huge pleasure to drive.

One thing I forgot to do was test the adjustable suspension height, slipped my mind. I understand that if the air suspension goes that it can be replaced for about a grand with coilovers

I cannot seem to paste here - so cannot share a link to the car.... :(

It's a nice car but at that price I would want a full and comprehensive Lexus history, actually, the price is very high I think. The thing to always take into account with these cars is that mileage isn't really an issue. I'd rather have one with double that mileage, but with full history. It's up to you but my gut feeling would be find another, unless you got the price way down on this one.

• Like 1

... blimey, that price seems especially dopey methinks .................... starting point would be sub 50% of that figure if i was looking for one AND I would want to factor in a £1000 budget for servicing and cambelt and steering rack potential issues too ...... let alone taking a flyer on the air suspension staying all ok for at least a 12 month.

seems amazingly expensive . there'll be another along quite soon !!

How does it price compare to an equivalent Ls460 at the bottom end I wonder !!!

Malc

• Like 1

Cambelt change £295, Full Service £695 - all inclusive at Lexus dealer - so a grand for both was spot on.

I'm going to give it some thought, maybe have a chat with the seller and see how much he is willing to negotiate, I don't want to annoy him by offering something a planet away from what he's asking...!

Malc - LS460 at the bottom end, there's one example for sale: 2007 model, FSH, 94k, from a dealer, 12 month warranty, up for £11,950.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507095059136

Or a bit cheaper with little history

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502201109913

Back to the 430:

Full Lexus history on a 2006 for £8.7 here, had some tlc on the wheels etc, although I wasn't sure about black, as, with this particular type of car, it can look maybe a little too formal!? ;) Not sure..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507245467531?radius=1500&model=ls_430

Or, a grey one, FSH, 105k, £5k from a dealer, - however I was (rightly or wrongly?) put off by the wheels, as I wondered if they'd make for a harsher ride.... - they do look decent enough, but I wouldnt want to sacrifice ride quality

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506194465011

Not many of these about really is there...?

... then there's always the experience we have had on here about buying directly from Eire where these cars are amazingly better value than here on the mainland ... have a look there and check out the posts about the tax sparing savings that can be shared by a UK purchaser and Eire seller. especially with an incredibly weak euro and horrendous Irish road tax on these cars.

Give that scenario a go, you might save thousands and get a really great car

Malc

Wow. Why is their tax so ridiculous? Nearly £1,300 !!

I have never considered buying from their before, will do some research as I no idea about shipping it over, what needs to be re-registered etc etc -

Cheers

hi

so far there has not been any cases of significant failures nor is there any known common faults apart from one where the steering wheel goes off-centre and to fix this lexus fit a new steering rack !!

otherwise they seem to pretty reliable - they obviously have alot of electrics so check everything works including the air suspension

hoping to buy one when i can afford one!

Hi All,

I purchased a 2002 LS 430 over 13 months ago. It had 58000 miles on the clock, having done 15000 miles in the previous 8 years with the same owner. It did not have proper regular servicing, but did have oil changes etc.

It looked immaculate in pearlescent white, but had in fact been standing outside on the owners drive in all weathers.

I paid £5k which I thought was about right and everything worked, and still works.

I immediately had a full service with an independant I know and trust , but who is Merc trained. I had cambelt, iridium plugs and everything done, total cost £850.

Since that time, the vehicle has been brilliant and I just love it to bits. I have now done 70300 miles, with a new wheel bearing and Battery last year. She runs like a dream. The MOT passed with no advisories 2 weeks ago.

There is no rust or anything at all that does not work.

The previous owner bought a 460, and I rang him after one year to tell him that the car was as he told me. He said he wished that he had kept it and does not like his 460 as much. I intend to keep this car for a long time and enjoy luxury. Hope this helps.

This guy said that this is 460 is now up for £9,000.

Imported from Ireland, pretty much no history at all. He doesn't even know the mileage, apart from the fact that it had done 80k-kilometers in 2011.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502201109913

Roger that's really interesting - thanks for sharing, and of course I'm glad the car worked out for you :)

Did the prev owner elaborate on what he didn't like? I have read a few 460 owner reviews, and they are absolutely glowing...

I think that car enjoyment can be a very selective thing. I liked the almost retro feel to my LS430 versus the more modern LS 460 which I think is a fabulous car by the way.

The previous owner did not like the ride or the gearbox, versus mine, but of course it is very subjective.

These vehicles are over engineered and run in a very de stressed state, which is why they go forever.

They are also extremely forgiving, as I sold 2 previous GS 300's that I had done over 100.000 miles in, to a business partner. He never looks after them, or has them serviced properly, and they just keep going. To be honest I could cry when I see the condition, but on they go.

............... wonder just how much he paid after tax rebates etc for the Irish Ls460 ................... £9k might seem a lot !!

Malc

As I've said on another thread, I own a 2007 460 and love it.

Roger is absolutely correct when he says that car enjoyment is a very subjective thing. One of the big differences between the 460 and 430 is that the 460 has a timing chain - not a belt. It, also, has an 8-speed gearbox. There are not many more goodies compared to the earlier model......so it comes down to personal preference. I prefer the shape of the 460.

There are only two of us in the family so I didn't get all the back-seat electronics. This, and the fact that it isn't a hybrid (600) - so there is no extra Battery, means that the boot is huge and takes all our luggage plus golf clubs :)

ALL LS models are great cars!

What are your thoughts on this one, - does it seem too cheap?

460-SE-L - 135k - FLSH - 9k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-LEXUS-LS-460-SE-L-A-GREY-/221822329643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a5a4232b

I am tempted to up my budget and go for a slightly newer 460, in the hope that it would be even more reliable than a 430...they don't suffer the oil coolant/gearbox problem, don't have a cambelt. Looking at the service schedule throughout it's life, only minor things ever need doing....

Hi James, to be honest whichever model you buy, it will probably depend on how well it has been looked after. The previous owner of mine bought a high mileage but chauffeur driven LS460 in the belief that it would be ok. It came with a full 12 months MOT from a Midlands garage. He had bought from an, as it transpired, reputable dealer, because the first thing he did was MOT it again to find quite a few thousand £s worth of suspension problems and an MOT failure. The dealer paid for remedial work.

The one you are looking at is a one owner, and if it has full Lexus Service History, get it checked but could be a good buy.

I also think that the gearbox oil contamination and cambelt change are not enough to put me off a good LS 430 if one comes along. They are relatively inexpensive to prevent, I will fit a new rad next year.

Rgds and good luck, Roger

• Like 1

Cheers Rodger.

One of the main reasons I was originally attracted to an LS430 was reliability, but I have read quite a bit about suspension problems, I guess I really do need to check out a car before I buy - shouldn't take a garage long to jack it up and give the suspension a once over... rather than just risk it.

................ I think you might find the air suspension is prone to just collapsing when it is due to go !!

From what I read on here ....................... I'm lucky, I have a Ls400 :tomato::tomato:

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links