Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HID replacement

Darn it, the drivers side HID has blown.  

What's the going rate for a replacement and do you need a garage to change it?  I guess so with as they need to set the level I suppose.

Thanks

Dave

i did think about second hand. The garage said it could be the bulb or the amp.  I haven't got the energy to work it out so am happy to pay a reputable garage....

thanks for the replies folks!

HID bulbs/lamps don't need to be reset anymore than non HID's. You can swap HID bulbs over just like non HID. Take the same precautions e.g. don't touch the bulb, wear gloves, etc.

If any adjustments are needed afterwards, then it's no different for HID's. The lamp housings are pretty much the same.

It's good practice to mark a wall or garage with the level first but not essential.

Some HID backing plates can be more of a pain to open as they often don't just twist. Some are fixed with Torx bolts, presumably as the voltages are higher. But only when the lights are switched on, so perfectly safe to DIY proved the ignition and lights are OFF.

Don't buy cheap Chinese bulbs as they don't cope well with large temperature ranges or humidity. You pays your money, you make your choice as they say.

• Like 2

Just replaced mine today. You don't need garage to do it ... well unless it rains. The air box has to come out on one side and windscreen washer fluid pipe on the other side. BTW have 2 HID bulbs for give away (one is getting bit pink, but the other one is as good as new :yucky:).

Probably best to get both bulbs replaced at the same time. Go for original spec bulbs.

I had one fail on the SC430 quite recently and it turned out to be the ballast control unit. When I turned on the lights, the bulb would light up and then go out within a few seconds. I had both ballasts and bulbs replaced.  

• Like 2

that's a good point about replacing both. I simply too busy to do a good job. I'll end up rushing it.   also tech one are going to have another go at tracking down my curious misfire.

folks, at idle, do's yours run as smooth as silk or is it lumpy? I've had the misfire so long now i can't remember.  If it should be smooth I now have another symptom.  Also when are the plugs due to change? mine is nine years old this year.  75k miles. Lexus sidcup changed them in 2015 so i wondered if it was every two years? It might have been 2014 mind. If i wasn't so lazy id look at my service history!

Ah yes, the ballasts are an extra for HID's. Which if they need replacing can then start getting expensive.

Are the ballasts accessible without removing the bumper, lamp housing?

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Are the ballasts accessible without removing the bumper, lamp housing?

No. You have to remove lamps which means you have to remove bumper.

I would advice not to use OE bulbs however, but instead some Osrams or Philips bulbs. They are cheaper and seems to better as well (win/win). Obviously, I would advise against no name/brand alternatives. As other mentioned it is good practice to replace both HID bulbs, that is why I have replaced both yesterday even I had issue only on one side.

The other point regarding ballast is worrying... The bad side in last few weeks had symptoms as described by @Neil E, however the bulb light was getting pink (which means on the way out for HIDs) so I thought it is a bulb issue. However, strangely enough after I polished my headlamps last week the issue was gone... they just needed some love apparently..  :whistling:

• Like 3

I cannot blame you... I have just challenged myself to it aka "what kind of man you are if you cannot replace bulb on the car"... but honestly it requires some skill and tools. Just for bulbs obviously no need to take the bumper off, but access is still tricky (on Peugeot 406 you actually need to remove both front and rear bumpers just for bulbs, so cannot complain).

If there are anyone interested doing themselves, here are schematics:

e120556e01.thumb.png.224cdc7987cf0c39006bd00266a311c6.pnge120558e01.thumb.png.7582dfb15b4693a4432610d380694d9d.png

• Like 3

Looks worse than it is but still a poor design. I suppose Lexus take the view that the ballast doesn't fail very often and given the safety issues, best done by trained technicians on a ramp. Headlamps used to light the road ahead but now they have the power of a lighthouse, self level, swivel in the direction of travel and can floor a human with a single touch, the game has changed.

• Like 2

Indeed, I suspect it was deliberately designed to prevent DIY. For example if you look to service manual it only has instructions of how to replace left side via removing washer hose, but it gives no instructions on right side and the process of airbox removal. That is what I call advanced level "Lego".

4 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Indeed, I suspect it was deliberately designed to prevent DIY. For example if you look to service manual it only has instructions of how to replace left side via removing washer hose, but it gives no instructions on right side and the process of airbox removal. That is what I call advanced level "Lego".

From Lexus' point of view the HID lamps last the lifetime of the vehicle and therefore no consideration is given to make it easy for the owner to replace them. I doubt they went out of their way to make sure they couldn't though.

Unfortunately the IS light design doesn't hold up to the lifetime claims, poor component or poor design/lack of ventilation I suspect. You don't get ballast issues with the RX.

• Like 2

True, probably I too much conspiracy theories in my mind.

I should point out that from 2 HIDs the one which was dying was aftermarket Osram and the other side was still OE (9 years old). What is worrying is the ballast might go, but so far it hasn't. Additionally, ballast issues exists on all cars like BMW, MBs has issues etc.

Regarding the lumpy idle try taking out your MAF and spraying it with some MAF cleaner.  Let it dry naturally. 

Also run some good quality fuel additive through the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links