Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Purchase Ct Needs Tyres

Valkirk

2 week old pre cert car already heading to needing new front tyres (should have checked the car far more thoroughly - for some reason I tend to trust Lexus dealers but not sure why, think might actually start getting an AA car check even from main dealer)

Anyway ignoring the reason - what would people suggest tyre wise? Stick with the OEM or is there a better choice?

It depends what you want the new tyre to do. The tyre manufacturers have to market their tyres with a rating of performance.Rolling resistance, wet weather grip and noise. Currently the bridgestone ecopia EP001S is "A" rated for rolling resistance and wet weather performance and is 70 dB rated whereas the Bridgestone efficient grip tyre is "A"rated for rolling resistance, "C" rated for weather performance and 67dB rated for noise. A lot of the grippier dry weather tyres actually have a higher rolling resistance "G" which just to confuse the issue, a high rolling resistance doesnt necessarily mean that its a dry weather grippy tyre , it can just mean that its a cheap and nasty article which is legal but not of much use.

Also to confuse matters even more, it is possible to find that the tyre models change efficiency with size. IE the best tyre in one particular size isnt necessarily the best tyre in a different size. might have a higher rolling resistance for example.

• Like 1

It depends what you want the new tyre to do. The tyre manufacturers have to market their tyres with a rating of performance.Rolling resistance, wet weather grip and noise. Currently the bridgestone ecopia EP001S is "A" rated for rolling resistance and wet weather performance and is 70 dB rated whereas the Bridgestone efficient grip tyre is "A"rated for rolling resistance, "C" rated for weather performance and 67dB rated for noise. A lot of the grippier dry weather tyres actually have a higher rolling resistance "G" which just to confuse the issue, a high rolling resistance doesnt necessarily mean that its a dry weather grippy tyre , it can just mean that its a cheap and nasty article which is legal but not of much use.

Also to confuse matters even more, it is possible to find that the tyre models change efficiency with size. IE the best tyre in one particular size isnt necessarily the best tyre in a different size. might have a higher rolling resistance for example.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Yep very confusing system - when it came out thought it should be dry grip, wet grip, rolling resistance, and db categories.

I liked the look of the Dunlop Sport Maxx but also strongly thinking of All Season as can't be bothered having two sets.

Got any experience with these? http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=2810690.110.7042&sowigan=GAN&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&Load=87&kategorie=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=vnpsearch&Label=E-C-68-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-167800

i bought 4 of these tyres Sport Maxx RT 215/45Y17 from kwik-fit they cost me £454.00 fully fitted (have to be purchased online for this price)

perfomance ratings

wet braking is an A

fuel economy is an C
noise level 67 Db

i am really happy with these would buy them again

the dunlop sport maxx has totally different ratings to the sport maxx rt tyre

• Like 1

2 week old pre cert car already heading to needing new front tyres (should have checked the car far more thoroughly - for some reason I tend to trust Lexus dealers but not sure why, think might actually start getting an AA car check even from main dealer)

Anyway ignoring the reason - what would people suggest tyre wise? Stick with the OEM or is there a better choice?

i know what you mean about trusting a dealer ,again after misplacing my trust in them i didnt check the tyres either and after buying i felt i needed the front replacing for the winter months ahead i only needed the front but i bought a full set and kept the old tyres as spares on another set of rim that i have.

i bought 4 of these tyres Sport Maxx RT 215/45Y17 from kwik-fit they cost me £454.00 fully fitted (have to be purchased online for this price)

perfomance ratings

wet braking is an A

fuel economy is an C

noise level 67 Db

Sorry yep it was the RT I looked at: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-Maxx-RT-215_45-R17-91Y-XL-with-rim-protection-_MFS_&details=Ordern&typ=R-235174&cart_id=38501403.110.18356&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Load=87&Speed=W&weiter=0&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=Lable_3sound&Transport=P&dsco=110&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=vnpsearch

Look very good tyres, just wondering if better to sacrifice some performance overall for the all season ones, don't fancy buying another set for winter and want something that will still work fairly well with a bit of snow on the ground..... Hmm decisions decision :)

No they are just under 3mm so have about 1-1.5mm left before illegal but loss of performance of a tyre is well above the legal minimum so I generally consider under 3mm is time to replace. (AA says drop in performance from 3mm should replace at least at 2mm http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/tyre-life-and-age.html)

Enquired with Lexus UK and they said anything above legal so would advise anyone buying just to check them all very carefully because as far as Lexus is concerned if it passes an MOT it's fine.

Just to add, they haven't done anything wrong and it's all legal, just one of those things where I generally buy my cars direct from Lexus dealerships thinking you get far more piece of mind but over last few purchases reckon there is no difference to any other dealer and they just want the cars sold as profitably as possible. Also noticed they don't even give a full 12 months MOT - if car already has one then again that is all good. All minor things but I know other dealerships that always put 12 months MOT on and make sure tyres etc are good enough you have at least a fair few months on them.

perfomance ratings

wet braking is an A

fuel economy is an C

noise level 67 Db

Sorry yep it was the RT I looked at: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-Maxx-RT-215_45-R17-91Y-XL-with-rim-protection-_MFS_&details=Ordern&typ=R-235174&cart_id=38501403.110.18356&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Load=87&Speed=W&weiter=0&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=Lable_3sound&Transport=P&dsco=110&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=vnpsearch

Look very good tyres, just wondering if better to sacrifice some performance overall for the all season ones, don't fancy buying another set for winter and want something that will still work fairly well with a bit of snow on the ground..... Hmm decisions decision :)

You dont need winter tyres for an FWD car mate. Its got relatively skinny tyres so should get through pretty much anything anyway. My RX is running on summer tyres all year round. Bare in mind that M+S tyres, although they can be used in all conditions wont be as good as a winter tyre in the snow or as good as a summer tyre in dry and warm conditions.

Agree with earlier post

Dunlop sports max rt made a massive improvement to mine both in terms of noise and ride.

how is wear? This supposedly is the compromise you make with the Dunlops to get good comfort and low noise.

you can use the treadwear value on the side of a tyre to help compare which tyre will last the longest the dunlop sports maxx rt has a treadwear rating of 240

so if comparing to a tyre with a value of 200 it should last longer but compared to a tyre rated at 300 it shouldn't last as long.

in my opinion there is no point in buying a set of tyres that will last you longer if the fuel economy rating is low YOU have bought a hybrid to achieve economical

motoring so dont spoil it i would rather buy a new set of tyres a couple of months earlier and have good milage in return than long life and poor mpg

When I purchased my IS250 from a dealer, I was advised that the Lexus minimum for approved pre owned was 6 months MOT and 3mm on the tyres. Can you guess what mine came with? That's right... 6 months MOT and 3mm on the tyres :lol:

its a good price if you can fit them yourself otherwise you will pay about £80 for the fitting of tyre ,fitting of valve a balance and disposal of old tyre

you are then back in the ball park of kwik fit except you can have them now no waiting

its a good price if you can fit them yourself otherwise you will pay about £80 for the fitting of tyre ,fitting of valve a balance and disposal of old tyre

you are then back in the ball park of kwik fit except you can have them now no waiting

£80 to fit 4 tyres! mental. Tenner a tyre in Northern Ireland and Carlisle. Balanced valves and disposal of old tyres. I ask for tyres back great donate to school playground, allotments, or farmer friend who needs tyres for holding plastic silage cover down..

well i am not in northern ireland, ok i was a little over but at kwik-fit it is £13 for valve,balance and disposal of tyre then maybe £3 tyre fitting charge so in total £16 its still £64

I'm a massive fan of Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2 tyres. Admittedly I've always put them on performance cars, which might be a bit overkill on the CT. Some good websites to get good deals are either Blackcircles or Etyres.....non affiliated to either!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links