Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know there's a thread on here for 400 vs 430, but I've been in a position today to compare a Mk4 LS400 to my Mk3 which I thought I'd share, and thought it would be interesting to see what views others might have.

So, here's my current barge:

14998580543_488d551a39_c.jpg1996 Lexus LS400 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Bought last year with indeterminate history quite cheaply from a client who does a bit (well, a lot) of banger racing. Apart from the intermittent cut-out issue it's been very reliable and I've enjoyed my time in it so far. I suspect that long-term it will need some things sorting, but for now I've given it a stay of execution from the oval racing track. MoT is due next month...

Last year I took some photos of this local Mk4 and had a chat with the owner:

16088041849_1e9a1a7993_c.jpg1998 Lexus LS400 Mk4 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

15651748554_3897ebc751_c.jpg1998 Lexus LS400 Mk4 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

He gave me a call this morning as he's looking to sell it soon. Sadly his wife is unwell and he finds that he doesn't do the mileage to justify something so capable. Done 153k with nine previous owners, no history but timing belt reputedly done recently. Four new tyres, new Battery, MoT until Nov 2015, generally clean and tidy although a few minor bodywork issues. At the price he's offered it to me that really is no great problem. As he lives just a few minutes away from work it seemed like good use of my lunch break to go and visit him and take a look.

16086791560_188ff6c2f5_c.jpg1998 Lexus LS400 Mk4 - interior by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Compare with mine:

15374545309_4c99d3374a_c.jpg1996 Lexus LS400 - interior by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Not really that much different between them, just extra toys.

He was kind enough to offer me a drive in it, how could I say no? Doubtless mine is in need of a good service, but the VVTi engine gave it much more pick-up low down in the rev range. Mine doesn't really come on until 3000rpm, which is a little inaccessible on public roads in higher gears (I used to find the same with my Camry V6). Do these later models have a revised auto 'box too, maybe that helps it be a little more responsive?

I was surprised to find the ride a little firmer in the Mk4 than mine, despite the fact I have 18's and low profile tyres. Could it be that the one I looked at is a DHP model, how could I tell? I don't think the 16's it has are original, he mentioned putting them on to replace what it had when he first got it.

He's suggested a price which is really rather tempting, were it not for the fact that:

A. I already have an LS400, albeit its MoT is due very soon and it may need too much spending on it to renew. However there are options to make money from it should it fail which would pretty much cover the purchase of this new one.

B. I'm hoping to buy another Datsun soon, an opportunity to get an incredibly rare model which I can't really say no to.

C. I have two Camrys which need getting back on the road.

In some respects I prefer the overall feel of my Mk3, so in an ideal world it'll gain a new MoT with minimal work and the Mk4 will go to another good home.

Well my mk3 came with documented lexus history until 110,000 and the chap i bought it off did oil changes every 6000 approx,which i can well believe now as the oil is still very clear and shes at 189,000,and still pulls like a train.

I have not driven a mk4 yet,although i will probably stick with the mk3 as i like its squarer front end amongst its many other plus points :-)

have not yet had a Mk4 BUT personally I do prefer the styling of my Mk3 ............... but then I think I prefer the styling of the Mk1 actually as best of all !!!

Malc

• Like 1

Interesting comment Matthew "Would'nt touch a Ls without service history".

This one as no service history from 99 till I bought it two years ago.

The pdi 1k and 9k service were done by Lexus but the book is empty after that because the previous owner had servicing done by his independant and he did not stamp the book.

So it is not always the case that if there is no written history the car as not been serviced properly.

post-11542-0-99559700-1421234708_thumb.j

post-11542-0-83751100-1421234747_thumb.j

post-11542-0-30076900-1421234771_thumb.j

post-11542-0-78906300-1421234798_thumb.j

• Like 1

I know there's a thread on here for 400 vs 430, but I've been in a position today to compare a Mk4 LS400 to my Mk3 which I thought I'd share, and thought it would be interesting to see what views others might have.

Bought last year with indeterminate history quite cheaply from a client who does a bit (well, a lot) of banger racing. Apart from the intermittent cut-out issue it's been very reliable and I've enjoyed my time in it so far. I suspect that long-term it will need some things sorting, but for now I've given it a stay of execution from the oval racing track. MoT is due next month...

He gave me a call this morning as he's looking to sell it soon. Sadly his wife is unwell and he finds that he doesn't do the mileage to justify something so capable. Done 153k with nine previous owners, no history but timing belt reputedly done recently. Four new tyres, new battery, MoT until Nov 2015, generally clean and tidy although a few minor bodywork issues. At the price he's offered it to me that really is no great problem. As he lives just a few minutes away from work it seemed like good use of my lunch break to go and visit him and take a look.

16086791560_188ff6c2f5_c.jpg1998 Lexus LS400 Mk4 - interior by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Compare with mine:

15374545309_4c99d3374a_c.jpg1996 Lexus LS400 - interior by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

He was kind enough to offer me a drive in it, how could I say no? Doubtless mine is in need of a good service, but the VVTi engine gave it much more pick-up low down in the rev range. Mine doesn't really come on until 3000rpm, which is a little inaccessible on public roads in higher gears (I used to find the same with my Camry V6). Do these later models have a revised auto 'box too, maybe that helps it be a little more responsive?

I was surprised to find the ride a little firmer in the Mk4 than mine, despite the fact I have 18's and low profile tyres. Could it be that the one I looked at is a DHP model, how could I tell? I don't think the 16's it has are original, he mentioned putting them on to replace what it had when he first got it.

He's suggested a price which is really rather tempting, were it not for the fact that:

A. I already have an LS400, albeit its MoT is due very soon and it may need too much spending on it to renew. However there are options to make money from it should it fail which would pretty much cover the purchase of this new one.

B. I'm hoping to buy another Datsun soon, an opportunity to get an incredibly rare model which I can't really say no to.

In some respects I prefer the overall feel of my Mk3, so in an ideal world it'll gain a new MoT with minimal work and the Mk4 will go to another good home.

the electronic throttle makes the mark 4 feel alot lighter - you were probably used to your mark 3 where you have to press harder to get it going - i felt the same when going from a mark 3 to 4.

make sure there are no advisories on the MOT sheet - suspension bushes on the rear are costly due to the labour involved

VVVT-i engine. Sat-nav. Plus the all important Anti-skid system that the Ser 3 didn't have (in this country alone, for some reason!)

Plus, of course subtle improvements like slightly better mpg, more HP, more hip room, etc.

Interesting comment Matthew "Would'nt touch a Ls without service history".

This one as no service history from 99 till I bought it .The pdi 1k and 9k service were done by Lexus but the book is empty after that because the previous owner had servicing done by his independant and he did not stamp the book.

So it is not always the case that if there is no written history the car as not been serviced properly.

you have a rare car ambermarine - very nice

The only negative thing with the Mk4 are the fog lights, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I agree the Mk1,2,3 front end looks nicer than Mk4, but having HID lights is a nice to have with the Mk4, so that is the trade off on the lighting front.

I find the Mk4 is less prone to tramlining if you fit poor tyres, but always best (IMHO) to fit Falkens.

In the snow we had today I tried the VSC for first time, and that makes it an easier drive than earlier MKs.

MK4 also gives extending sun visors, mirror folding but does seem to depend on whether you have early or late Mk4.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The lighter feel is definitely what I noticed most in terms of how it drove. Mine's booked in for an MoT early next month, I'll see what happens then.

The Mk3 has the bonus for me of looking more like the Mk1, although I concede a good Mk4 is probably the better car.

Mark 3 is just FINE for general use really! Comfortable, quick when needed....

Road conditions in U.K. mean that comfort a priority now? Warmth and good hi-fi!

Setright had a philosophy about how passengers felt in cars and....they feel great in an LS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He gave me a call this morning as he's looking to sell it soon. Sadly his wife is unwell and he finds that he doesn't do the mileage to justify something so capable. Done 153k with nine previous owners, no history but timing belt reputedly done recently. Four new tyres, new battery, MoT until Nov 2015, generally clean and tidy although a few minor bodywork issues. At the price he's offered it to me that really is no great problem. As he lives just a few minutes away from work it seemed like good use of my lunch break to go and visit him and take a look.

Compare with mine:

What alloys are on your mk1 Spottedlaurel?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links