Which PDA?

djanderso

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which PDA?

• PocketPC
    • Palm
    • Psion
    • Still use a filofax

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new PDA, my current one (Compaq iPaq 3850) is 2 years old and while it does the job it's starting to lose it's appeal due to non-bluetooth, no WLAN. I can't decide between a PocketPC device or a Palm based one - quite like those new Sony Clie devices!

What do you guys use, and do you recommend it?

I bought a Palm Tungsten last year in America. I opted for Palm over Windows CE because it has been around for sometime. I think it's great, and syncs with my Outlook Calender and emails no probs. I also carry Word/excel docs on it which is fine for reviewing. Colour screen is good, and size is fine. All in all, a good PDA.

Like Zee I have a tungsten and have found it very good. I replaced a psion 5, so have had to live without a keyboard now. But have found it very easy to use. Graffiti on Palm seems to much better than whatever pocket pc uses. I tend to very much dislike pocket pc in general, its just not very nice to use.

If you want things like wireless lan and Bluetooth, you will pay a premium of course, and not many devices have both built in. I am even thinking of getting a tungsten t3 now instead of my origional t, however they aren't the cheapest, however there are cheaper palm based devices. The sony ones in general do seem quite nice, however I am sure if you pick palm over pocket pc you will be better off!

I use my Nokia 8210. It's basic but with keys, wallet, etc. filling my pockets, the last thing I need is another box which I'd only use to play games on. The 8210 has four games anyhow. And no I don't need a video phone.

Like Zee I have a tungsten and have found it very good.  I replaced a psion 5, so have had to live without a keyboard now.  But have found it very easy to use.  Graffiti on Palm seems to much better than whatever pocket pc uses.  I tend to very much dislike pocket pc in general, its just not very nice to use.

If you want things like wireless lan and bluetooth, you will pay a premium of course, and not many devices have both built in.  I am even thinking of getting a tungsten t3 now instead of my origional t, however they aren't the cheapest, however there are cheaper palm based devices.  The sony ones in general do seem quite nice, however I am sure if you pick palm over pocket pc you will be better off!

Yeah, I've been looking at the Tungsten T3 but can't understand why it doesn't have WLAN built-in. I couldn't even see it as an option in SD card format.

Perhaps the T4 when it's launched will offer BT and WLAN together.

I'm going over to Toronto next year so I might see what's available there.

I've always been a fan of the simplicity of Palm's having previously had a Palm V. I switched to PocketPC as at the time, I wanted colour and the Palm IIIc option was poor.

Depends what you want it for. I now use a blackberry but the most important thing for me is constant contact with my exchange server so I've got live access to my diary and emails. Yes contacts and everything like taht are there but it is a device designed for the single function. Phone function is not good as no car kit (due in February) and no Bluetooth. Been using it for about 18 months now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links