Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

.. this has been reasonably well documented on here somewhere,. Maybe if you look up Johmthetourist forum posts you might find what you are seeking ( correct me someone if I'm wrong please ! )

Malc

Cheers Rodger.

One of the main reasons I was originally attracted to an LS430 was reliability, but I have read quite a bit about suspension problems, I guess I really do need to check out a car before I buy - shouldn't take a garage long to jack it up and give the suspension a once over... rather than just risk it.

It's no different to any other luxury car with air suspension. Complete collapse is not likely to happen just like that, they'll be warnings first in most cases. On the other hand, it may never happen. The other problem is that it's not the kind of system where most garages would have the knowledge to do a quick check. Forget about problems that may never happen, I've had two LS400's but I can honestly say the 430 is by far the best. Having said that, my Lexus days are near an end and being replaced by a Volvo V70....I'd better not say any more or I'll get my post instantly removed again, especially if I mention the "S+++++g" word!

It would be a pain if it happened somewhere far from home, but then I do have breakdown cover. It was the expense which was the big put-off but it seems the coilver solution has negated that. I think I'm looking to deeply into it - bit like feeling some sort of illness then using google-self-diagnosis.

I am looking forward to looking at another 430 tomorrow... - will see how it compares with the other one I saw and take things from there...

I am pretty sold on a 430, such a lovely thing to travel in for small outlay, and I think mostly reliable: I was impressed a few days ago when I saw a 430 on autotrader with over 200k on the clock, today, I see one for sale with over 300k. The 400 doesn't quite do it for me personally, so I won't even consider that.

I've had a Honda S2000 for the last 8 years and the only thing to go wrong with it is a small brake line (£40 fix) - which has made me a big advocate of over-engineered Jap reliability.

Cheers Rodger.

One of the main reasons I was originally attracted to an LS430 was reliability, but I have read quite a bit about suspension problems, I guess I really do need to check out a car before I buy - shouldn't take a garage long to jack it up and give the suspension a once over... rather than just risk it.

It's no different to any other luxury car with air suspension. Complete collapse is not likely to happen just like that, they'll be warnings first in most cases. On the other hand, it may never happen. The other problem is that it's not the kind of system where most garages would have the knowledge to do a quick check. Forget about problems that may never happen, I've had two LS400's but I can honestly say the 430 is by far the best. Having said that, my Lexus days are near an end and being replaced by a Volvo V70....I'd better not say any more or I'll get my post instantly removed again, especially if I mention the "S+++++g" word!

Complete collapse without warning can happen.

It would be a pain if it happened somewhere far from home, but then I do have breakdown cover. It was the expense which was the big put-off but it seems the coilver solution has negated that. I think I'm looking to deeply into it - bit like feeling some sort of illness then using google-self-diagnosis.

I am looking forward to looking at another 430 tomorrow... - will see how it compares with the other one I saw and take things from there...

I am pretty sold on a 430, such a lovely thing to travel in for small outlay, and I think mostly reliable: I was impressed a few days ago when I saw a 430 on autotrader with over 200k on the clock, today, I see one for sale with over 300k. The 400 doesn't quite do it for me personally, so I won't even consider that.

I've had a Honda S2000 for the last 8 years and the only thing to go wrong with it is a small brake line (£40 fix) - which has made me a big advocate of over-engineered Jap reliability.

The other thing I would do is replace the radiator to remove the risk of transmission contamination, a cheap and easy job. A new rad and Toyota coolant, and a small amount of trans fluid all for about £115, and about an hours work with minimal tools.

Thanks Phil, yes I will do that :)

Yes, of course a "Complete collapse without warning..." is possible, albeit, I think improbable.

I understand that both air bags and tyres are made from the same type of rubber material. Yes, I know that tyres can suffer blow-outs. However, imagine a tyre only used like a space hopper. And yet, the service life of suspension air bags is even greater than tyres that are not used at all.

My tip: if the chance of a bursting bag makes you switch to steel springs, then you might want run-flats too.

Good analogy.... - and I wondered what the bags were made out of.

From the little research i've done, I got the impression however that the weak point is the regularly failing height sensors which 'feature' an inherent design fault, rather than the bags - they can cause the suspension to drop too far and puncture the bags. Plus the sensors themselves are costly to buy and fix...

Good question. I am very tempted to go for a LS460 instead, I'd be happier in something a little more modern.... I have seen that there are coilover conversion kits available for those also, - the one sticking point for me is the £505 car tax bill. That's a lot of money to hand over to the Government every year just for a virtual tax disc.

Sickening really, on principle alone. Not sure I could stomach it! :(

Just had a look as I was previously unfamiliar with that one - £280.... which is much more palatable. 5 litre 480bhp.....

I don't think the RX450h is a bad option either.. - £135 tax, reasonable mpg and 250 bhp... - elevated driving position too... I am not totally sold on the look of them, but it does look like another isolated, fuss free, quiet, ride with a bit of power under your foot also... just mean upping my budget, which isn't out the question..

Thanks Phil, yes I will do that :)

Yes, of course a "Complete collapse without warning..." is possible, albeit, I think improbable.

I understand that both air bags and tyres are made from the same type of rubber material. Yes, I know that tyres can suffer blow-outs. However, imagine a tyre only used like a space hopper. And yet, the service life of suspension air bags is even greater than tyres that are not used at all.

My tip: if the chance of a bursting bag makes you switch to steel springs, then you might want run-flats too.

Good analogy.... - and I wondered what the bags were made out of.

From the little research i've done, I got the impression however that the weak point is the regularly failing height sensors which 'feature' an inherent design fault, rather than the bags - they can cause the suspension to drop too far and puncture the bags. Plus the sensors themselves are costly to buy and fix...

The sensors fail due to water ingress. They can be taken apart easily to be cleaned and re-sealed, but of course no one ever does. I had one replaced, a simple job but £350 or so for the part. The other one I had cleaned as it was working OK. This was just on the rear which seem to give most problems.

... wonder if it's the same with the Ls460 and Ls600 then ?

Malc

And many non-uk 400s I was told.

So all LSs (if so fitted) have the same flawed air suspension?

I'd rather drive a V-6 Citroën C5 estate than a Lexus LS, if it was built the Japanese way.

... wonder if it's the same with the Ls460 and Ls600 then ?

Malc

And many non-uk 400s I was told.

So all LSs (if so fitted) have the same flawed air suspension?

I'd rather drive a V-6 Citroën C5 estate than a Lexus LS, if it was built the Japanese way.

Its not that the ls has flawed suspension as such imo the price lexus charge for replacement parts is the real problem

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links