Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back Seat Rattle

The back seat of my car has developed an annoying rattle, particularly evident when driving on anything but a very smooth road.

Unfortunately, the rattle stops as soon as someone sits in the back (anywhere in the back!)... which makes it tricky to try and identify the source of the noise.

One of the main reasons for buying a Lexus is that they are eerily quiet in comparison to other cars, so needless to say that this is driving me mad!

Any suggestion appreciated.

Thank you.

Ive managed to get one there too although its not in the seat itself. My rattle seems to be coming from the rear right wheel arch and needless to say, when people sit on the right seat, it DOESNT go away!

Try a quick test - I doubt itd be the armrest but I think its the catch for the seats. Try pulling the seats forward slightly and putting them into the middle catch, not the most rearward or the most forward catches. I bet that'll sort it.

Try a quick test - I doubt itd be the armrest but I think its the catch for the seats. Try pulling the seats forward slightly and putting them into the middle catch, not the most rearward or the most forward catches. I bet that'll sort it.

I had a similar issue with my 400h, kept one of the seats slightly forward to stop it rattling.

I did try it with mine but deduced that it's coming from the plastic. Touch wood it's the only rattle I've got. Having said that, the new IS feels more solid and has no rattles at all!! Suspension doesn't squeeze it's head off when going over bumps either and seems to have a better ride too.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

I have moved the seat forward a little, but that has not made any difference. I think the rattle may be coming from the back rest of the center part of the seat (the "20" out of the 40/20/40).

The car is due to go to the dealer next week... I'll ask them to check for me.

Nope. I had to remove it on Saturday because I needed the additional height for a trip to the local tip, and the rattle was still there.

Thanks though.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks

I think I found the rear seat rattle problem.  Mine is a 2014 RX 350.   Beneath the rear center seat are 2 hinges which appear near the front of the seat.  The left hinge is tight and snug while th right hinge has a little play in it.....very very little.  But it's enough to get that rat-a-tat-tat metal to metal sound.  I can reproduce the sound by hand by bouncing the seat or by shaking the hinge. The right hinge parts are a bad fit.  But it is still intermittent while driving

• Like 1

Dan. I've not takin it to the shop yet.  I'm trying to verify whether there is an additional similar loose hinge connection first.  And if yours is like mine you can't replicate it just by touching.   You must bounce the seat gently.  I'm searching daily.

Edited by Ronald reaves
Added detail

I did take a look and it does not sound that the noise is coming from where you suggested.

In fact, I have now found that it comes from the rear backrest, and from the wider side of the seat (the one with the armrest). I happened to drive along an un-tarmacked road yesterday evening, and the noise was very obvious. When I looked in my rear view mirror I noticed that the seat was vibrating in tune to the noise. I played around and found that the noise is worse when the armrest is up. I have drive along that track before, but with rear passengers, so did not notice the noise... which would make sense because the passengers would have preventing any vibration from the backrest.

• 9 months later...