Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Wheels For The Ls400, And A Good Old Exhaust Bodge

Finally I can look at my LS without wincing at the sight of after market wheels. Though they aren't technically period correct, I like the design.

The ongoing exhaust blow was quickly found once I got it in the air. It seems lashings of exhaust gum were used on the flange after the cats on both sides. Looking through the history, a blowing exhaust has been an advisory on the MOT's from 2005 - 2009.

With the LPG, I can run without the cats for the emission test, so I'm tempted to make a decat pipe from the manifold to the first mufflers to bypass any flange in that area. Has anyone made anything similar?

12191162_10153713644081779_8805452288030

11224443_10153713644976779_7916638943765

Nice wheels - these are original mark 4 wheels and go nicely even with the mark 3.

the exhaust problem you describe is common and if you want to stick to the original quite exhaust then the only option is to buy the pipe from lexus - otherwise there is aftermarket options but even the best ones are not as quite as the original set up

good luck with whatever you decide

your car appears to be sitting a bit low at the back?

I thought I was low at the back too, but it's passed the "bounce" test and when I had the shocks out and the springs off to test, both shafts are fully extended and difficult to compress. I've put is down to the 55 litre LPG tank and is hanging out right over the back where the spare wheel was.

ah ok - that probably explains it

i once bought a mark 2 ls400 with a broken spring - you could see the ride height difference from miles away but i was so excited about the car i didnt notice! lol untill i had bought it

I thought I was low at the back too, but it's passed the "bounce" test and when I had the shocks out and the springs off to test, both shafts are fully extended and difficult to compress. I've put is down to the 55 litre LPG tank and is hanging out right over the back where the spare wheel was.

Mine has an 84 litre LPG tank plus two spare wheels at present but it doesn't look quite as low as yours. Mike.

Mine has an 84 litre LPG tank plus two spare wheels at present but it doesn't look quite as low as yours. Mike.

I'll get them out again at the weekend, I can test the spring rate, see if they're equal, does anyone know the OEM spring rate?

Nothing looked out of the ordinary last time, I guess they could have been cut, I'll inspect further.

I felt the dampers performed perfect, they were clean and fully extended, but I'll concede that they could just be worn out. The car runs and drives fine (or so it feels to me).

Where to people typically buy their replacement dampers/springs? Is there an acceptable pattern part? I'm not bothered about paying for OEM stuff, but if there's something out there cheaper I'll never say no.

thanks for all your help and feedback everyone.

Finally I can look at my LS without wincing at the sight of after market wheels. Though they aren't technically period correct, I like the design.

The ongoing exhaust blow was quickly found once I got it in the air. It seems lashings of exhaust gum were used on the flange after the cats on both sides. Looking through the history, a blowing exhaust has been an advisory on the MOT's from 2005 - 2009.

With the LPG, I can run without the cats for the emission test, so I'm tempted to make a decat pipe from the manifold to the first mufflers to bypass any flange in that area. Has anyone made anything similar?

12191162_10153713644081779_8805452288030

11224443_10153713644976779_7916638943765

you might lose back pressure if you de cat it, and lose bottom end torque

Yes, I can recommend KYB springs as well - I bought one to replace a broken spring on the OSF of one of my cars and it has been fine.

I have not noticed any difference in ride etc since replacing it.

Looks like a good set of Mk.4 wheels. Remember to wash them regularly, and even polish them, to stop brake dust from oxidising (?) the metal and making them peel and look scabby.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links