Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Premium Fuel

I have a Smart Roadster which is only set up to run on premium high octane fuel, power & economy are hit hard if you use standard unleaded.

It all depends on how the engine is set up to perform.

If in doubt check the handbook which will tell you what your car is set up to run on.

There can be changes made by tuners to make the benefit of alternative fuels, or just have a nitrous kit fitted!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The IS300h may not be a sports car as such but it has better acceleration than other cars in its segment. It has good road holding particularly in Fsport guise which also has a stiffened sports suspension. It certainly looks sporty.

Errr no it doesn't , BMW 320d does 0-60 in 7.7secs, the IS300h in 8.3 (0-62). Over half a second is a massive difference ask any drag racer.

I think your definition of a sports or high performance car is a little bit different to others. There are plenty of sporty styled cars out there but in this day and age high performance would normally imply a sub 5second 0-60 time and single figure mpg when pressing on.

The IS300 is a very good car but it will never fall into the sports or high performance category.

• Like 1

I never mentioned "drag racers"or "high" performance. I would though regard my Fsport as a sports saloon. It was mid range performance for joining the motorway that I was referring to.

Ed.

by cleaning fuel system and internal engine compartments saw a shell video a while back testing this. the IS300h booklet says minimum '95RON or higher' I never run supermarket fuel in my car. I have run both 95, 97 and 99 from various fuel station like BP, Shell and Esso and can confirm they are not the same.

I noticed Esso fuels makes the engine run and idle very quietly but noticed car takes a few second or two to start in colder mornings when I run them in my previous IS300 but don't experience the start up issue in the GS. the 97 esso definitely makes the car more punchy from low to mid acceleration but noticed it burns quicker.

Shell 95 fuel save was the worst fuel in terms of performance as it makes the engine rev slowly and performed quite sluggish so I avoid it. shell V power is responsive and I noticed my interior lighting on my dash board bights up more when I am using this fuel than BP or Esso. and I also get up to £10 of voucher from shell every 2-3 months which is better than super markets offer of spend £50 and get 1p off every litre. so to get £10 off supermarkets fuel I would have to fill in 1000 litres which is impossible.

BP 95-97 runs quietly compared to Shell v power but I hardly use BP fuels to see their pros as they tend to be quiet pricier than shell and esso where I live.

I had the IS300h as a loan car few months ago and though it didn't feel like a 220bhp car when compared to say a ford ST220 it wasn't slow during rolling acceleration found it a bit disconnected when accelerating from a stop might be due to the hybrid batteries kicking in to move the car but did drive quite nice and felt like it handles better then older IS300.

a 2012 325d auto will out accelerate the IS300h by almost 2 secs but then again the BM is about 130KG lighter which is a lot of weight but I recon in gear acceleration will be quite close. a 640d out accelerated the GS430 from a stop but there was no difference when we accelerated from about 40mph in 2 gear so 0-60 times doesn't always tell a full story of a cars true real life performance.

only way is to test the various fuels out there and make up your mind about which one runs best for your car.

by cleaning fuel system and internal engine compartments saw a shell video a while back testing this.

But what is actually been 'cleaned'???

Petrol is a highly refined liquid that is brunt at stupidly high temperatures. Which part of the fuel/ignition system is been 'cleaned' and too what effect??

I don't mind paying extra for things which are worth it. I tell you what I can source you some 'premium' water which will hydrate you better than any other fluid. I'll even send you a video of how amazing it is, just send me £10/month (forum rates) and I'll arrange for the water supply in your house to be upgraded ;)

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded is formulated with powerful cleaning

agents designed to protect key fuel system components from gunk and to

help remove some existing gunk as you drive.

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded is also designed to form a protective

film on metal surfaces helping prevent corrosion of critical fuel system

components.

I am not saying I beleive the claims either!!

I run an IS200 so a different sort of car, for me when i went to Shell Optimax as it was then, after about 100 miles or so there was definitely a better pick up in acceleration, with no other changes made to the car, so like everything try and it and see what you think in your own mind. As for cost, that's just subjective, some are happy to pay £10 for a packet of fags or £50 on a drunken night out or £500 a year on take away coffees but not happy to spend a few extra £s on fill up to potentially protect their engine or have a more responsive engine, so each to their own. Mine is now turbocharged so I will always continue to use V power and those conducting tests usually have a vested interest one way or another so I always make my own mind up.

by cleaning fuel system and internal engine compartments saw a shell video a while back testing this.

But what is actually been 'cleaned'???

Petrol is a highly refined liquid that is brunt at stupidly high temperatures. Which part of the fuel/ignition system is been 'cleaned' and too what effect??

I don't mind paying extra for things which are worth it. I tell you what I can source you some 'premium' water which will hydrate you better than any other fluid. I'll even send you a video of how amazing it is, just send me £10/month (forum rates) and I'll arrange for the water supply in your house to be upgraded ;)

from what i gather gunk and carbon build up in fuel injectors, valves and pistons. over time engine develops carbon and premium fuels contain a higher percentage of cleaning additives to tackle these. all fuels are not the same and i have played about with a few to see slight characteristics between them. extra performance gained in terms of bhp on a non turbo charged car or lower compression ratio lesser revving engines wont be much but there are still some benefits like internal cleaning, smoother running, quieter idling and peak performance (i.e the highest bhp your engine can make based on its condition) could be gained from running these fuels subject to the type and condition of car of course.

Just remember a 97ron fuel is the same what ever make it is & the same goes for a 97ron as that is what the British standard is for!

All the fuels come from the same terminal into branded tankers where they add their own magic cocktails.

Yes some additives have more detergents than others but in a vehicle that has done a few miles & has a good bit of carbon build up on valves & pistons can assist in keeping compression up.

So you can wash this off & cause your engine to run like a bag of spanners (worst case!)

Carbon build up is pretty much s thing of the past which is why we don't have to regularly have engines de coked like they used to need in the days of leaded fuels.

There have been additives been sold for fuels for as long as petrol stations have existed & if you believe all the hype then buy them all & add a magnet round your fuel line & buy the most expensive fuel you can find!

Your just what the marketing people thrive on!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The IS300h may not be a sports car as such but it has better acceleration than other cars in its segment. It has good road holding particularly in Fsport guise which also has a stiffened sports suspension. It certainly looks sporty.

Errr no it doesn't , BMW 320d does 0-60 in 7.7secs, the IS300h in 8.3 (0-62). Over half a second is a massive difference ask any drag racer.

I think your definition of a sports or high performance car is a little bit different to others. There are plenty of sporty styled cars out there but in this day and age high performance would normally imply a sub 5second 0-60 time and single figure mpg when pressing on.

The IS300 is a very good car but it will never fall into the sports or high performance category.

You do realise that an IS300H is faster than a C250 cdi in a straight line right?

The IS300H is not brake torqued when doing these 0-62mph runs so it loses a second just because of that. Try brake torqueing at a traffic light and you'll be impressed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links