Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bas**rd. The End Of 'the Shed'.

Really sorry to hear this news, John, it is gutting when something like this happens.

I hope the damage is confined to the rear quarter panel. If the boot floor + rear chassis section are OK, it might well be repairable.

Thank goodness there was no-one in the car at the time.

• Like 1

Went down the the body shop yard yesterday to retrieve the rest of my clobber out of her. The boot floor is very bent. As I left I had a tear in my eye as I said goodbye to her. A 20 stone truck driver with a tear in his eye ain't a pretty sight!. Anyway,onward and upward. The bloke at the body shop has an S-type Jag that he is willing to let go reasonably cheap!.

As for the hire car,a 2014 Poxhall Insignia,what can I say. You feel every little bump,I smack my melon every time I get in and out,it's almost dangerously impossible to see when reversing,seats are like sitting on concrete,the autobox hesitates and the tyre/road noise is quite loud. On the plus side,the turbo diesel does pull like a train and the fuel gauge hasn't moved yet (probably broken).But as the bloke from the body shop said 'It's better than walking'.

Sorry to hear your news John. I dread something similar happening to mine.

Have you thought about a GS? My mechanic might have one for sale. Not as comfy as the LS, of course, but then most cars feel hard and bumpy in comparison.

I sat in an Insignia once and couldn't see out of it. It felt a bit claustrophobic, and the back window was the size of a letterbox.

• Like 1

John, if it's an auto S-type you're considering, proceed with caution. I can almost guarantee that a certain little light on the dash will start blinking at you. They all do it. Mate of mine only had his for a few weeks, then got rid. Autobox was duff.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and advice. I guess all cars have an achilles heel as I once had to replace a brake light bulb on the LS. Rotting floors and knackered autoboxes however are a different kettle of cod. I have been looking at other types of cars of course,but the top of the list is still a MK3 LS400. Here are some others I may consider:

GS300 (seems to have the same sound system as the LS,which is nice)

S-Type 3.0

X-Type 3.0 or 2.5 sport (please don't mention the Mondeo connection!). Drivers eye view in picture,looks a nice place to be.

Saab 9-5 2.3 Aero

Mercedes W124 E320 CE (getting way too much money now)

Wolseley 6/110

and so on,blah blah.

It will all depend what is about when the cheque turns up,but I will go to the ends of the earth (almost) to get another LS.

post-37664-0-56725800-1450797800_thumb.j

............. the Wolseley 6/110, straight 6 engine and used to be as sweet as a nut !!

Bit old aged now ........... . I learnt to drive on my father's a million years ago and I actually bought one in the 1980's but it died !

Maybe prefer the Vanden Plas 4ltr R

But the least expensive of them all .................. would be a replacement Ls400 ... and much much better too

Malc

• Like 1

If it were me I'd be going for the Jag. The missus has 2 litre X-type, and to be fair not a bad old car, not as quiet as the LS, seats a bit narrower, but for a small engine can pull fairly well even with four people in. Fuel economy is good for such a big car. Sound system nowhere near as good, but some models come with Bluetooth, which would be nice to have in the 400.

Interior is different, but no worse/better than LS IMHO.

Just check the openings under the door sills for rust, some are really bad and some seem to be perfectly okay. I found ones later than 2004/2005 to be best to go for, and good value (but not as good value as LS).

I found the S-types too cramped for my liking, and having driven the Aero, a nice car, but thirsty and also felt cramped, and the dashboard/console felt way too clumsy to me.

Never driven a GS300, but been in one or two, and they seem to be okay, but the boot space was not to my liking, though I think they look a bit nicer with the bodywork styling.

Whatever you end up with, hopefully no one will be trying to park in the back of it.

• Like 1

Insurance company have made their first offer. £600 !!. Told them to 'go away'. They told me to e-mail proof of a higher price. I did. Two on Autotrader, both '97 MK3's like mine but with 60-70,000 more miles on for £1089 and £1500. I await the reply with bated breath. Am I being unreasonable here?. Surely as the innocent party,I'm entitled to look for a 'like for like' car,which £600 ain't going to get.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links