Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Replacement - Noise Worries?

Collecting the OH from Luton airport (uggh!) the other day and on the M1, we hear a mighty bang and there's a big lump out of the windscreen, with a 1-2inch star of cracks radiating out of it. Oh well, these things happen.

But it's in the MOT-fail area, so I'll have to get it sorted. I think it's beyond the resin/repair size.

Question: do the usual suspects - Autoglass/etc - do it properly? The last thing I want is for it to be done poorly, leading to wind noise. The Website says they guarantee workmanship - but to Lexus OEM levels?

Does any LS400 owner have advice on this? TIA!

Thanks chaps - useful advice and both are easy for me to check.

On the noise, I have an unhappy memory of buying a W124 Mercedes that had had a replacement windscreen, and whoever had done it created wind noise at anything over about 55mph.

• Like 1

I had the windscreen replaced twice on my 400. Autoglass did it both times and it takes a while. I watched them do both and there is a lot of sealant to remove and replace - then there is the curing time.

There are subtle differences in the part numbers depending on the year. They got the wrong one delivered one of the times. However, I had no problems with their fitment.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps - useful advice and both are easy for me to check.

On the noise, I have an unhappy memory of buying a W124 Mercedes that had had a replacement windscreen, and whoever had done it created wind noise at anything over about 55mph.

Aah W124,had a few of them. Still miss my late 300TE.

Had mine done on the insurance by Autoglass. I took the car to them, (rather than them come to me), to make sure it was not a young spotty apprentice that was going to do the replacing. The extremely expensive LS windscreen should be a precision fit with all the cabin garnish put back properly afterward. The chap who did mine was very experienced and it was a first class fitment.

• Like 1

I watched, after asking if the fitter minded, the AA replace my neighbours Golf windscreen, what a complicated job, the tools are out of this world, the sealant is space age, the precision is absolute.

To say I was impressed is an understatement.

If some one did mine I would be all over them like a rash.

• Like 1

HI I had mine done... as somebody cleaned my screen with a kitchen scourer( i'm blaming the wife, but it was me) also had two stone chips.

I used budget windscreens so not on my insurance...just got a thing about claiming on it.

However they were fantastic came out on a day which was not great as it was very windy.

A great job was done It's better I'm sure to go through the insurance but this is just one other view on it.

Oh it was 185 total and I was very happy to pay it.

I need a new windscreen but not claiming on insurance. Coming to London in January, so would appreciate if skyway could please supply contact details.

Happy new year to all.

Roger

That is correct it does not affect your no claim bonus. However what is does do is affect your renewal premium, so they will recover it one way or another. For me it is more cost effective to pay, plus I want to know who does it, will do it properly , rather than leaving up to the insurance company.

Roger, when I had mine replaced my NCB was protected at the time. Plus, at renewal time my premium hardly went up at all, certainly nowhere near the cost of paying for a Lexus windscreen myself. I did use my insurance company's fitters, but they are just the high street fitters everyone uses anyway. As I mentioned earlier, I purposely took my car to Autoglass to make sure the fitter was not a spotty trainee who didn't know half what he was doing. It turned out the fitter had many years of experience and did a great job.

Autoglass did mine recently and it cost me £80 excess, just make sure they order new side strips as well.

.. those side strips .. when my windscreen was renewed under my insurance the insurers wouldn't pay for the side strips unless they were non re-usable ( they could be re-used ok ) because the cost for each strip was a staggering amount of money . I can't remember fully, it's posted here somewhere, but I have a thought those two strips cost £150 the pair and only available from Lexus and they only had a few left in stock ...........

Malc

After the very helpful responses on this post, guess I will maybe try my insurance. However the excess is £140, so a £185 replacement made me think it wasn't worthwhile. However if new trims are required then maybe should let them take the risk. Thanks everybody for their input,

Roger

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links