55 members have voted

1. 1. Does Religion in todays world cause more problems that it solves

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find disturbing is the lengths some people will go to in order to find a subject to debate and create strong feeling that will be vented through a forum.

Do any of you really care what the next Lexus driver thinks about Any religion?

As I drive down the Kings road looking at pretty girls in short skirts, I do not question their religous affiliations. No, Sir. I may wonder what colour panties they have on, but then I think that is a far better use of my cognitive powers than contemplating the rights and wrongs of religion.

Forgive me for keeping it real, as you young people say.

:unsure:

What I find disturbing is the lengths some people will go to in order to find a subject to debate and create strong feeling that will be vented through a forum.

we have a strong sense of community here.

an awful lot of people here have been members for a while, have discussed a wide range of subjects, and many of us have been to meet(s) and actually know each other in Real Life.

this is the non car chat forum - and as such, all members are free to discuss whatever they feel they want to - as long as that discussion stays within the terms and conditions of our boards.

So far - this discussion is staying firmly within those T&C's, and as such is quite welcome within the forums.

In fact -I would like to add my thanks to Rod's, as it is nice to see such a sensitive subject being discussed in this detail with respect being paid to each others beliefs and opinions - well done guys!

Clearly the number of views and replies to this topic indicates that peple DO want to discuss this - whether it is a Lexus board or not.

You are more than welcome here - you will not here anyone on these boards say anything so crude as to not visit if you don't like it.

That said - now you know the topic is not to your taste - it is very easy for you to simply not read it.

We have lots of other discussions taking place regarding all sorts of car / Lexus subjects. At the time I write this - this topic represents 52 posts out of over 102000 posts - or less than 0.05% of the total posts on the board.

As I drive down the Kings road looking at pretty girls in short skirts, I do not question their religous affiliations. No, Sir. I may wonder what colour panties they have on, but then I think that is a far better use of my cognitive powers than contemplating the rights and wrongs of religion.

that is your opinion - and you have every right to express it.

At the same time - you have to accept that people may not feel that that is a subject they want to discuss.

Each to their own - horses for courses etc.

Well put sir!

And thank you for your due consideration of my dismissive comment. its actually quite an interesting read, it just seemed a little pius at times...

But you sound like a good bloke and this seems like a good site.

Live and let live.

;)

Well put sir!

And thank you for your due consideration of my dismissive comment. its actually quite an interesting read, it just seemed a little pius at times...

thank you :blush:

But you sound like a good bloke and this seems like a good site.

;)

I think this is a nice site too - thats why I keep coming back.

As top being a nice bloke - you will probably find 'fat scouser' is more suitable!

:lol::lol:

Live and let live.

seems to be the consensus of this whole debate - nice to see. :D

so anyone watching Channel 4  'Flesh and the devil'  rather topical i think given this thread..

I was until they showed the Indian guy being castrated.

I am pretty squeamish any way ( :blush: ) - and my meal had literally just arrived. :sick:

:angry: I missed it...... :lol::lol:

How was your meal Matt? hope you enjoyed it. :shutit:

I was until they showed the Indian guy being castrated

Which leads us neatly into a discussion of religious circumcision. :blink::crybaby: Actually perhaps not. Back to the topic in hand...

cant understand why a g.o.d./religion would want its followers to chop of there tackle to show there devotion.. this is in india by the way. ive forgotten what these people are called (begins with a H) but the program did say something interesting, that this action seems to be a good one if your a tranny, gay or transexual as one cna hide behind this 'religion'..

There ar said to be two reasons why various religions demand any form of mutilation:-

1. For hygenic reasons (circumcism) - see my earlier post as to "custom" forming part of religion.

2. The idea of "sacrifice". Core to all religions is the belief that for something good to happen you must pay for it in some way. The Aztecs believed human sacrifice ensured the sun would rise again. Lent, Greek and Roman animal sacrifices, any kind of s*x for fun and Ramadan are all examples of these.

G.od instigated male circumcision amongst the israelites to make sure they remembered they had committed themselves to follow him. It was a sign of their faith and obedience to help them not drift away and follow other G.ods or no G.od. It probably helped to some extent but ultimately it didn't work though cause they were still human and fallible.

Fortunately "adopted-jews" ie C.hristians are only required to have a "circumcised" heart - ie an inward faith and obedience to G.od without the outward "religious" sign of physical circumcision. Phew! :)

G.od instigated male circumcision amongst the israelites to make sure they remembered they had committed themselves to follow him. It was a sign of their faith and obedience to help them not drift away and follow other G.ods or no G.od.

Rather like 'branding' cattle isnt it?

Yes but without "The High Chaperal" scortched into your little friend. :)

In the bible piercing is a sign of bondage. With women I guess it was originally a sign of their submission to and partnership with their husband. Tatoos are completely banned. Given that the devil likes to mar G.ods creation in any way he can it's interesting to see the rising popularity of piercings and tatoos. :shifty:

Very interesting thread.

What I always find interesting are the rules (dogma) that religions seem to require.

So often it seems that one is measured by how strictly one follows these rules - for instance - go to church every Sunday and you're a 'good' boy, go once a year and you're not. But I've always felt that it's what you feel in your heart about yourself and others and the actions that follow that count, not just parading the badge that goes with your chosen religion. Be kind, compassionate, understanding and tolerant of others. Above all, don't judge an entire nation or community on the actions of one or two individuals.

:)

go to church every Sunday and you're a 'good' boy, go once a year and you're not.

You'd like Christianity then - neither makes you a Christian or get's you into heaven. It's what you feel in your heart about G.od that is important. Going to church is just something you do afterwards cause you want to. It's a bit like a "meet" of like minded individuals.

Well, Javadude, far from being someone who has closed his mind to opposing arguments I tend to change my views on lots of things. I was a xtian myself until my late teens, and as an arch Eurosceptic it pains me now to remember that I campaigned for a yes vote in the original Euro referendum back in the early 70's. I love a good argument and tend to question everything I am told. So if anyone has a convincing argument in favour of Xtianity or Zeus I am always willing to listen.

Mind you, how many people can boast that Jehovah's Witnesses make excuses to escape from them?

It may be odd that we dispute matters of religion on a Lexus website, but of course this is a much more important matter than anything to do with cars or pretty girls. It is about the meaning and origin and future of life and everything. What could be more important? I think that millions of people are being conned by religions that preach unscientific and unhistorical nonsense, and that is a problem.

great post and as a total non beleiver i don't care what religion anyone is but i do think it causes more problems than it solves.

great post and as a total non beleiver i don't care what religion anyone is

i am also a non-believer, but that wasnt the question asked on this thread. ;)

and to answer Daytona'a post "What I find disturbing is the lengths some people will go to in order to find a subject to debate and create strong feeling that will be vented through a forum."

hmmm errrr not quiet understanding your comment chap.. great lengths,,, hhhmmmm let me think...oh yes it was a topical post cause oh yeh that Killroy bloke had upset the arab/muslim nations.... really it was quit easy to come up with this subject to debate... no great lengths... :P

As mat said earlier, this is a forum of like minded people, and we do talk about other stuff apart from our cars.. (now that would be boring).

perhaps you would like to start a topic of conversation of your choosing... :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links