Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just the five fail points on the MOT today

Well I didn't have high expectations and was not disappointed. To be fair three of the items, parking brake, rear shock and front ball joint not deal breakers for me to get sorted, the other two points relate to the headlights - basically I need both replacing and suspect if I get these new it will not be economical to replace. If anyone knows of any good breakers or has a donor car with decent lights then me know. Car is a1998 Mk 4.

Since getting the ISF, I have found the LS handy for those place I need to visit which are less salubrious, also with winter wheels and tyres on it has been useful on the days when you don't want to be in a rwd 420bhp car with summer tyres on!

i could live without the LS or perhaps swap for a small city car but 12 years into ownership I'd really prefer to keep her.

As I say, any advice or pointers re the headlights appreciated.

............  if it's just deterioration in the quality of the lenses then there's a simple and not too expensive fix to get them like new from being opaque with age !

Let us know the issue and we might be able to help a little !

Malc

Thanks guys - they have been called out on previous MOTs - my mechanic who I trust immensely reckons they definitely need replacing - they have tried some paste on the lights today but cannot get to the standard required for the MOT - granted they have not had them off so I will look at rage restoration options - had a text from a breaker tonight quoting £340 for a pair.

The three m kit has sanding discs then paste ours was completely fogged over now it's shiny . We tried paste alone before we got the 3m kit and it did nothing. 340 is A bitter pill to swallow for the sake of 20 quid I might even have some of the kit left over if you want it. No charge of course. I will look in the morning if you want

.  the simple economic fix is often used by car body shop repairers to make the whole car look shinier after sorting out a repair ....  nothing like crisp bright headlamps

Prior to the Mk4 they were of course simply old fashioned GLASS

Malc

• Like 1

See my post on LS400 headlight restoration, and attached photo. It worked very well.

Feeling confident after doing this job, I then tackled the badly fogged headlights on my daughter's Hondo CR-V. The result was terrible. Those headlights were much worse than my LS400's, and it seemed like they had a particularly thick and soft top coating which was very difficult to sand off (it just kept melting and clogging the sandpaper).

So I suppose the bottom line is that the 3M kit is great for moderately fogged plastic lenses, but be cautious on lenses that are very bad to begin with.

post-46319-0-35214800-1437317914.jpg

Thanks all - just going to pick up the Autglym kit which has just won the Auto Express best product award. Reviews look good so worth a go rather than a £320 spend. The other bits on the MOT were suspension arm excessive play in ball joint near side front upper plus a rear shock that has gone plus parking brake recording little effort on the near side. 

Think I will see if I can get the headlamps to the point at which they will pass the MOT and then get the other work done - my mechanic is ex LS400 owner and very trustworthy. There were also advisories re front wheel bearing slight play, seepage from power steering and rear axle corroded but I will worry about those next year assuming I can get this years passed.

Nick

Malc - the MOT shows 9911 miles but since the car was stood a while back I have had an issue with the odometern- some days it can show almost a million miles! The correct mileage is approx 245k - I now keep records based on fuel used and guesstimate of economy.  My man at Lexus Hull has quoted £1312 plus vat for a pair - he will give me 10% off that mind!

Got the kit now - if that doesn't work will need to chance my arm at the breakers - best quote £284 for both headlights

....  I understand front upper control arm from lexus, each side is about £500 + labour  ( but an easy job )

if it's the first replacement then that's a very good mileage for it

Had one of mine replaced at 179k and MOT for £250 or so but NOT OEM

Malc

Looking at my records fairly certain it's the first time - so not bad. I am still a wee bit pensive at continuing to spend money but I would prefer to have the LS400 as a runaround than a small city car and if the ISF goes which it may do in summer then will be handy to have a back up car at the ready. Any idea what a rear shock would cost Malc?

............  no idea what parts cost unless my indy mechanic buys them, and of course that's quite rare ....  on an earlier Ls400 ( my Mk1 I think ) the Upper Control Arms lasted about 160k miles and then cost only £250 each from Lexus....  I then lived a qtr mile up an unmade track and that took its toll on them I'm sure!

These cars cost very little to maintain, if a UCA lasts 160/180/245k miles then that's way beyond the life of any other car on the road.

Just been looking at Bentleys for sale and I know they cost a fortune to maintain and also that most of them do very little mileage. ..  guess the owners are fearsome of maintenance costs

We are so lucky to have our Ls400s

Malc

1 hour ago, Chris Skelton said:

My Micra (stop wincing!) has plastic headlamp covers fitted. I didn't think it was to prevent fogging! I thought it was to avoid stones. You live and learn?

I remember buying plastic headlamp covers for my ( brand new ) 1.8 Vauxhall Carlton (1988 ) to protect the glass lenses from stones  .... that car did just over 200k miles before it succumbed to inoperable rust 

Malc

Did the headlights this eve with the Autoglym kit - no before or after pics but they do look loads better - will pop into MOT station on Friday just to see if they pass the headlight test - if they do it will save some hassle and money - will crack on with the other fail points and hopefully be back on the road in a week or so.

Thanks all for the heads up re the headlight restoration - the Autoglym kit did the job - had the car back in the MOT station tonight and the lights passed the test. Saved a lot of hassle and money - car booked in for rest of the remedial work so hopefully all will be sorted soon.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links