Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 V6 - Any one LPG theirs?

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Maybe lets stop pretending someone here are converting to LPG to improve performance or save environment - the goal is quite clear - SAVE MONEY... 

It is self-defeating to discuss this on Lexus forum, because the brand itself was not set-up for saving money... So wise advice would be - if you want to save money don't buy Lexus (or Jaguar, or Lamborgini).. Fitting LPG in Lexus sounds extremely pointless. 

As I have explained previously, DI is not the only problem... More problematic is ECU which controls both injection and valve timing. If you add LPG the system would go completely bonkers... Lexus IS250 is not on the list for good reason. And anyways it is not like fuel hungry, or would benefit significantly from LPG... that's not LS400 with engine from 1988 (Mike)

I have no idea what you mean and frankly find you very boring now. You have absolutely no experience personally of LPG but you seem to think you are the fountain of knowledge that is LPG. You started talking rubbish when you first decided to post on this thread and you are still talking rubbish. If you are so correct where are all the people coming out and agreeing with you. Non existent. Mike.

if you find running costs on a IS250 hefty go buy a Toyota prius or something tbh, any car with a 6 pot engine is going to be relatively thirsty.

I got a 3.0 Subaru lately, I already knew what I was getting into re: fuel consumption, it likes the drop of petrol but then again I don't want a prius and take a dim view of fuel consumption mpg that starts with a 2.

On 5/13/2016 at 11:24 PM, Bluesman said:

I have no idea what you mean and frankly find you very boring now. You have absolutely no experience personally of LPG but you seem to think you are the fountain of knowledge that is LPG. You started talking rubbish when you first decided to post on this thread and you are still talking rubbish. If you are so correct where are all the people coming out and agreeing with you. Non existent. Mike.

Rubbish ... In a way that I was in fact right saying LPG is impossible/unpractical on IS250, because of DI+ECU combination?

You can consider the rest of my post about "fishy LPG" off-topic. Whenever, I was right or wrong there - you are only contributing to off-topic and not to main question - so (I guess) not exactly adding value here...

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Rubbish ... In a way that I was in fact right saying LPG is impossible/unpractical on IS250, because of DI+ECU combination?

You can consider the rest of my post about "fishy LPG" off-topic. Whenever, I was right or wrong there - you are only contributing to off-topic and not to main question - so (I guess) not exactly adding value here...

I am sorry but I still dont have any idea of what you are going on about. Might be best to leave it there.

Ask Lexus for an LPG kit. Get a quote and install it.

If they decline. Period. Lexus isn't designed for it. 

Engineers hate DIYers who think they are much clever than their billion pound engineering and years for experience. And then their car catches fire and they blame the manufacturer. Then the engineering has to investigate till he finds out John put that banana in the tail pipe for better performance.

*mike dropped

:)

I'm sorry jack, but this is nonsense.

The reason manufacturers don't install the kit is because there is nothing in it for them.  It adds complexity and cost and doesn't add value to the car since most people are happy to use petrol or diesel.

Also, while there are some dodgy installers out there, there are also people that are engineers who produce perfectly good products.  Just because manufacturers spend billions, doesn't mean they have a monopoly on engineering :smile:

Most things are possible but it just isn't cost effective to convert the IS250 for reasons already stated in this thread.

LPG conversions on direct injection engines typically need custom built parts, not just a generic LPG conversion kit. These are only produced for commonly found engines.

Toyota engines are always difficult to remap, typically you need to rely on piggyback ECUs or by intercepting and altering sensor readings.

Advanced engine features such as VVTi are all mapped to the engine using petrol which increases the mpg difference between petrol and LPG, thereby reducing the potential cost savings.

I was going to reply with a long post with references but then decided why should I argue.. :)

Each to their own. For all I know, you work for  Lexus R&D :)

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Most things are possible but it just isn't cost effective to convert the IS250 for reasons already stated in this thread.

LPG conversions on direct injection engines typically need custom built parts, not just a generic LPG conversion kit. These are only produced for commonly found engines.

Toyota engines are always difficult to remap, typically you need to rely on piggyback ECUs or by intercepting and altering sensor readings.

Advanced engine features such as VVTi are all mapped to the engine using petrol which increases the mpg difference between petrol and LPG, thereby reducing the potential cost savings.

Hi Colin, I am confused, the LS is DI but that doesn't seem to be a problem why is it a problem on an IS250? Cheers Mike.

2 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

I was going to reply with a long post with references but then decided why should I argue.. :)

Each to their own. For all I know, you work for  Lexus R&D :)

I definitely don't work for Lexus R&D :smile:

I am not saying that it is cost effective, or even a good idea, just that if a manufacturer doesn't offer it, it doesn't automatically mean it can't be done.

I was sort of making an anti 'the manufacturer is always right' statement, if you know what I mean. :smile:

• Like 1

How many people have threads on google about lpg conversions on a IS250? might give you some clue about this.

I think the I250 is extremetly economical for a V6, if you find it too bad on juice you can always sell it and buy another car, probaly wont be as good as a Lexus ,but......

54 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Have we lost some posts from this thread or am I getting confused?

Bluesman is showing example of positive attitude and knowledge (by deleting posts which are not in personal interest of his own).

If you are after cost cutting why to drive Jaguar or Lexus? People buying Armani suits and Rolex'es not to save money are they? I might be wrong, but I will never understand the logic behind LPG.

Why not to use cheapest Oil, Unbranded tires or get yourself dacia or fiat?

Today seen Porsche Cayenne GTS (4.5l V8 Turbo) with LPG... what a fake! My first mind was - "What are you trying to pretend"?! 

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Bluesman is showing example of positive attitude and knowledge (by deleting posts which are not in personal interest of his own).

I hid it because of your rudeness (example:-  That was already explained - if you bother to read the posts )  which is not called for. You seem to have a real problem with this thread and answering in a polite and informed manner. You failed to answer the question but went on ranting about (Example:- LPG systems are installed for economical reasons (above all others) and installing it in IS250 is simply not economical (if at all possible) which wasn't what my question to Colin directly was about.

Your whole argument around LPG is that it costs less than petrol and therefore cant be any good and doesn't show you in a good light by not spending "Loadsa Money" when it comes to paying the bill.

Carry on being rude and I will continue to hide your posts.

21 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

If you are after cost cutting why to drive Jaguar or Lexus? People buying Armani suits and Rolex'es not to save money are they? I might be wrong, but I will never understand the logic behind LPG.

Why not to use cheapest Oil, Unbranded tires or get yourself dacia or fiat?

Today seen Porsche Cayenne GTS (4.5l V8 Turbo) with LPG... what a fake! My first mind was - "What are you trying to pretend"?! 

There you go again "Loadsa Money" syndrome.

Something tells me we have reached the end of useful discussion in this thread.

The only question left unanswered is whether it is actually possible or not, which has nothing to do with if it is a good idea.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links