Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LS 430 may have the dreaded steering motor problem.

On the square joystick to the left of the column the steering wheel goes up and down OK. It also goes up and down as one gets into and out of the car (on the ignition key). However, it will not go in and out. One can hear a motor working but no movement.

Any ideas, apart from a massive bill at Lexus.

It is livable with, but I would like to come out about 2 inches from the dashboard. Is it manually adjustable?

1 hour ago, MLW said:

My LS 430 may have the dreaded steering motor problem.

On the square joystick to the left of the column the steering wheel goes up and down OK. It also goes up and down as one gets into and out of the car (on the ignition key). However, it will not go in and out. One can hear a motor working but no movement.

Any ideas, apart from a massive bill at Lexus.

It is livable with, but I would like to come out about 2 inches from the dashboard. Is it manually adjustable?

A new motor is about £300 so I would live with it.  I believe you can adjust it manually, I seem to remember it was posted here fairly recently.  Take the plastic housing off and disconnect the motor anyway, it's easy to do.

Yes,   I recently adjusted mine manually by taking the panel off to gain access.  One screw/bolt in each corner and lying on your back disconnect the wiring and remove the 2 bolts holding the motor using a short and long reach socket on a quarter drive ratchet.  DO NOT LOSE the flexible drive between the motor and adjusting  screw.  It will drop out when the motor is removed. Turn the threaded bolt with a 10mm open jaw to suit your driving  position.  You can see the square end of the threaded drive and the 2 holes just behind is where the motor fits. If your car is the face lift model then there is an AIRBAG on the panel so be very careful.  Pull the fuse and wait 15 minutes.

Lexus price  £300 and about £70 at auction.  I think there is a YouTube tutorial.

IMG_5894_zpscs5kubxa.jpg

IMG_5893_zpsxglo6fvx.jpg

This response is amazing, and typical of good car sites where people are like minded and care. Any further advise is much appreciated.m

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The-Acre said:

How is yours going, happy with it?

I must admit ive driven it much more than i thought i would due to fuel cost so that must  say something.  

My kids love how smooth it is and on the motorway ive not driven anything that feels so safe. If you know what i mean. Ive got a bumper on its way so once its on i may feel the love a bit more. Hell of a car for 1500 and 92k miles

8 hours ago, MLW said:

This response is amazing, and typical of good car sites where people are like minded and care. Any further advise is much appreciated.m

Of course if you're going to get on your back and adjust it etc, would it be worth getting a used motor?  I know it's not necessary but it is nice to have it working. 

8 hours ago, Chasdad said:

I must admit ive driven it much more than i thought i would due to fuel cost so that must  say something.  

My kids love how smooth it is and on the motorway ive not driven anything that feels so safe. If you know what i mean. Ive got a bumper on its way so once its on i may feel the love a bit more. Hell of a car for 1500 and 92k miles

I tend to use mine most days, my excuse being that it puts less miles on the Volvo estate which cost me a lot more money and will therefore make it last longer! 

Talking of motorway driving, I brought three people and luggage back from Gatwick last weekend and there was no need for anyone to raise there voice at 75mph, in fact, it actually seemed even quieter and smoother fully loaded, and 30mpg average.  Just a bit tight going round getting up to the roof car park!

.....  I too have always found in my Ls400s that fully loaded, max legal speed and on cruise, gives it a tad over 30mpg   It's brilliant for a V8 limo

Malc

I am happy to leave the motor in and accept the up down movement when I get in and leave. Is it possible therefore to just remove the panel, screw the square nut out so the wheel moves away from the dashboard, and leave it at that? I will disconnect the Battery for 2 hours just in case any electrics plus the airbag cause problems.

yes   you can adjust it to the required position and leave the motor in.  It would help if you've got a young skinny kid among your family or friends.

There are some good videos on You Tube that suggest that most of the problems stem from a £1.50p white nylon plastic cogged wheel. As usual, you cannot buy it separately.

Annoyingly the cheap fix doesn't work on the LS430, I don't think it works on the MK4 either. As mentioned, on the facelift model you have an airbag to protect your knees.

• Like 1

Had a quick look under the steering wheel today and could not find the 'easy screws to take out'. It looked a lot more complicated on this 2002 model. Am I missing something?

I've got to take a look at mine in the next few days (1999 LS400) so I'll try and get some close up pictures.

Mine does nothing at all, no up/down or in/out, all supplies present to ECU, trying to get hold of another ECU just to eliminate it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links