Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

One question about a failing car Battery ... last month a message flashed up on the display saying low Battery.

I have not long replaced the key fob Battery so was sure it was not that so just dismissed the warning. The key fob Battery is still fine a month on but I noticed at the weekend that there was a noticeable drain on the Battery, car was taking longer to start and at a lower pitch than normal - its a Panasonic one so I presume its the original one with the car. With the cold weather coming I guess its time for a new one so ordered one but ....

Does the display indicate a low car Battery also as well as the key fob?

Battery came today - fitting took 10 minutes - surprisingly, the old Battery sprang back to life as soon as I threatened to replace it. Will keep it as a spare but the issue with the old one was that it was losing its charge a bit when leaving the car undriven for a couple of days.

Don't think 10 years is too bad for a Battery life. The new one is a perfect fit and the car starts almost immediately when the start button is pressed.

• Like 1

This was a timely thread for me!  My 56 plate IS250 was having trouble cranking in the cold mornings, I put it down to lots of short journeys with lights and heating on.  I charged the Battery overnight but it wasn't much better and my wife called yesterday to tell me that she was stuck in Tesco's car park as the car wouldn't start.  She called the RAC and declined the offer of a new battery(!) but I got there before they did and the car started....just.  This morning I bought a Bosch Battery as in the thread above and fitted it, straightforward job but when I came to take the old one out, it was so hot I could barely touch it and it was fizzing like a glass of Alka Seltzer.  The old Battery was a Panasonic 80D26L-MF.  Anyway, all good now, I'm hoping that the Battery just had an internal short.  There were no fuses blown and no warning lights in the car.  Electrolyte levels were above minimum in each cell but I might just top it up when it cools down and do a slow recharge to see if I can keep it for emergency use only. MOT tomorrow.....

........ when ever my cars go in for their annual service and MOT I get my indie to do a check on the battery's health, cell testing, to give any indication of degradation.

Once with a non-starting Battery in my Mazda one night ( years ago ) the RAC came to jump start me and offered to provide a replacement at gbp 80+.  The following day I bought a good new one from a local factor for gbp 45.

They had no hesitation getting me going but formally noted I had refused a new one from them and stated that they wouldn't come to my rescue again if it still had the same Battery in situ.

Fair enough I thought

Malc1

3 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

This was a timely thread for me!  My 56 plate IS250 was having trouble cranking in the cold mornings, I put it down to lots of short journeys with lights and heating on.  I charged the battery overnight but it wasn't much better and my wife called yesterday to tell me that she was stuck in Tesco's car park as the car wouldn't start.  She called the RAC and declined the offer of a new battery(!) but I got there before they did and the car started....just.  This morning I bought a Bosch battery as in the thread above and fitted it, straightforward job but when I came to take the old one out, it was so hot I could barely touch it and it was fizzing like a glass of Alka Seltzer.  The old battery was a Panasonic 80D26L-MF.  Anyway, all good now, I'm hoping that the battery just had an internal short.  There were no fuses blown and no warning lights in the car.  Electrolyte levels were above minimum in each cell but I might just top it up when it cools down and do a slow recharge to see if I can keep it for emergency use only. MOT tomorrow.....

Good job it was spotted before it done any damage - did you manage to get the discount in time? I have found a big difference in starting compared to the old one.

On Thursday, December 01, 2016 at 6:42 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Good job it was spotted before it done any damage - did you manage to get the discount in time? I have found a big difference in starting compared to the old one.

Unfortunately didn't get the discount but glad to get it sorted. Once the slow cranking started, it went downhill pretty fast but it starts immediately now.  I think it may have been the original Battery, if so it's done 10 years so owed nobody anything! Car sailed through the MOT yesterday which I have done at Westover Lexus in Poole.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links